Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ordering a 2011 Mustang GT tonight have some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 01:12 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

You need to test drive both alxe ratios before ordering.

I test drove a 2011 GT Brembo package with the 3.73s. To me, it was too much gear for the car (yea, I know... I don't want to hear all of the "don't fear the gear" crap). First gear was useless as 7 grand comes up too fast (at least for a daily driver IMO).

I guess it depends on what your plans are for your car... if you go to the drag strip often, then 3.73s will probably net you a lower ET, but I would go with 3.55s for a daily driver.

Last edited by jdmcbride; 10-04-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:23 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cyder
Yea I think I will get the 3.73 gears then.

Eh I might, I might not. I do alot of highway driving which are usually always clear around my area so I'm not worried about it. The Basic GT comes with All-Season tires right? If not I can just throw a set of Blizzaks and cheap rims for the time being. I also don't plan on flooring it around town when the snow hits.
Ya good luck with that. I tried to look into do something like that but the cost just is an outrage. its almost like 1K for just rims now days and lets not for get that crappy TPS thing another $60+ last time I checked and where are you going to keep those 4 tires? Most folks around me told me to drop the ideal as good chances they dry rot before there end of life.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:28 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cyder
Eh I might, I might not. I do alot of highway driving which are usually always clear around my area so I'm not worried about it. The Basic GT comes with All-Season tires right? If not I can just throw a set of Blizzaks and cheap rims for the time being. I also don't plan on flooring it around town when the snow hits.
Read up on winter driving with a mustang.. such as adding weight to the trunk and such. If I knew what I was getting into back then, I would of kept my old car for a winter beater but such is fate and it has led me to much better things... Anyways, be careful, these rwd's love to slip, and ice is a killer, no matter the car.. but don't be fooled by the mustangs traction control system.

Originally Posted by jackal119
Ya good luck with that. I tried to look into do something like that but the cost just is an outrage. its almost like 1K for just rims now days and lets not for get that crappy TPS thing another $60+ last time I checked and where are you going to keep those 4 tires? Most folks around me told me to drop the ideal as good chances they dry rot before there end of life.
I'm having a set of winter driving tires, mine are strictly summer tires. I do agree though, rims are not cheap. If anything, get good rims for summer and use your stock for winter. That is what I'm doing.

Last edited by alkemist; 10-04-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Cyder

Originally Posted by alkemist
Read up on winter driving with a mustang.. such as adding weight to the trunk and such. If I knew what I was getting into back then, I would of kept my old car for a winter beater but such is fate and it has led me to much better things... Anyways, be careful, these rwd's love to slip, and ice is a killer, no matter the car.. but don't be fooled by the mustangs traction control system.

I'm having a set of winter driving tires, mine are strictly summer tires. I do agree though, rims are not cheap. If anything, get good rims for summer and use your stock for winter. That is what I'm doing.
True true...unfortunately like I said, If I pass up on this deal for my trade in now, it's a lost cause for me to purchase such a nice car as I'm sure I won't be able to get the same amount of money for my trade 6-8k miles down the road. Depreciation is a bitch. Like i said though, I'm not worried about driving in the snow. I've been driving these winters for 10 years in all types of cars,trucks..I'm not worried about driving in the snow with a mustang.

Appreciate the help, I'm def going to test drive the different types and check which one I like more.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:39 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

lol well you must really want the car bad. Well good luck, kind of a poor selection of Mustang at many of my local dealers. Have fun on the test drives O make sure you red line one of the cars its really cool what happens. Plus 7k rpms comes up pretty quick thanks to that short gearbox. 5 gear was about the most oddest placed gear in that gearbox I wish they would have made a 6 speed tremec and not this getrag or what ever they when with. The gears are good to keep the engine in mid rpm but don't care for the feel of it.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Cyder

lol well you must really want the car bad. Well good luck, kind of a poor selection of Mustang at many of my local dealers. Have fun on the test drives O make sure you red line one of the cars its really cool what happens. Plus 7k rpms comes up pretty quick thanks to that short gearbox. 5 gear was about the most oddest placed gear in that gearbox I wish they would have made a 6 speed tremec and not this getrag or what ever they when with. The gears are good to keep the engine in mid rpm but don't care for the feel of it.
Haha I'm just sick of driving me Jeep to be honest. I think it's underpowered and getting up to speed I have to drop a gear and floor it, especially when going uphill. It sucks gas like crazy. I've been testing driving cars all summer from Audi to Honda, none of them really gave me that excited feeling when I sat in the driver seat. Haha. I might do what your doing and put snows on my current rims and buy a nice set for the summer.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:13 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

^ You can also try recouping some of the money back buy selling your stock tires off the bat.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:24 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

I know the feeling I has running around in a S-10 not a bad truck but has rust/paint issues now but slow and sucks gas with no power not much fun until snow fall
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Cyder

I know the feeling I has running around in a S-10 not a bad truck but has rust/paint issues now but slow and sucks gas with no power not much fun until snow fall

Recuping doesn't sound like a bad idea..but who knows haha

Yea, I'm for sure going to miss my jeep in the snow. I've pulled out numerous people using a strap these past two years and it was a blast. But the fun factor dies down after the snow melts and I have to visit the gas pump 2-3 times a week haha..

Appreciate the help fellas..I'll be sure to post up pics when I get it
Old 10-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Rebel302
1st Gear Member

Cyder,

I have 3.73's in mine & I have the brembos. The 3.73's are fine, even for daily driving. I drive mine everday with a 50/50 mix of city & hwy driving and avg. 19.5-mpg. That's even with opening her up every now & then. Lay into the throttle too often and that's when the mpg's will really take a nose dive. I think I averaged 12-mpg on the very first tank of gas in the car. Yes, the throttle was blatantly abused on that tank!

I love the stopping power of the brembo's. Way better than the regular GT brakes. Even if you don't track your car, I'm a firm believer that you're always better off with better brakes! Plus, if you plan on getting yours with 19' wheels, it's only $700-more for the brembos($995 for any 19'-wheel, $1695 for brembo brake package). So, if you want 19' wheels, might as well get the brakes too. Just my $0.02. Good luck with ordering yours.

The 2011's are beasts and a blast to drive!

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2011 Mustang GT tonight have some questions..