Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ordering a 2011 Mustang GT tonight have some questions..

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:54 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

A member of our local Mustang group bought a 2011 with the brembo package. It's worth the money. The rims are really something (I'm not much of a custom wheel guy either) plus it comes with 3.73's. I doubt you will see any difference in fuel economy with the 6 speed.

However, if you are looking for 1/4 mile performance go with the auto. Another guy I know bought a Kona 2011 with the auto. Put a custom tune on it and drag radials. His wife made multiple 12.3 second passes at 114. No mods, just a really good tune. The brembo gt made 395 rwhp with a tune from the same tuner but is only getting 12.9 times. He doesn't have dr's though.

Anyway follow up on this thread with some pics!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Get the Brembo package. Go to Dobbs.. or your local tire place.. and spend another $1000 on changing the tires to All-Season.

Seems like a bad idea.. but if you plan on keeping the car for more than 3 years.. the Summer Only tires aren't going to last that long anyway.. this way, if you swap the tires each season.. you will have your fun tires in the summer, and all seasons in the winter. Mounting tires is not expensive.

If you don't go that route.. I seriously recommend the California Special.. its a very nice looking package.

As far as the 3.73's ... I had them on my V6.. and am very happy with them in my GT. Feels like each gear is more usable.. and is better for highway.. as 5th has lots of power. Don't forget you have 6th gear to cruise with. Downshifting into 5th is all you need for lots of highway passing power with this car.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Cyder

Well I went to the dealer last night and drove the California Special as it was the only mustang they had for me to test drive. I gotta say it was a blast. I took it on the thruway and floored it in second...nothing but unbridled power all the way through. I was very impressed. I mentioned to the dealer to just find me a basic GT package...after reading some of these posts I think I will call them up and ask to find one with 3.73 gears, the car I drove had a really responsive shifter and I liked that alot.

There are a couple more questions I have that the dealer was clueless on. Is the option to change the color of the lighting just an option or is that standard on all the mustangs? Also this is a stupid question but I completely forgot to check when I was fiddling around, does the GT have heated side mirrors? Its a small luxury I miss in my jeep haha

Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:20 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

You are going to be rudely dissapointed if you think that in any way the Mustang is a winter car! Heated mirrors? c'mon man!

You have to opt for the Premium Package for the lighting trickery.

You will learn, grasshopper!
Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Cyder

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
You are going to be rudely dissapointed if you think that in any way the Mustang is a winter car! Heated mirrors? c'mon man!

You have to opt for the Premium Package for the lighting trickery.

You will learn, grasshopper!
BLAST! haha oh well...not a big deal at all. What color is the normal speedo and RPM backlight then?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Believe the stock color is still green and yes, you do need the premium package to get the "my color" options.. I still use a customized green color.. go figure. The only thing heated you can get on the car so far are the seats.. which comes in the comfort package. The salesman clueless lulz.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
potman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cyder
Hey guys, new to the forum and first time mustang buyer. I will be trading in my 08 Wrangler for a new 2011 mustang GT. I'm pretty freaking excited but have a couple questions regarding the accessories I can get.

What it comes down to is the brembo package and the 3.73 gears. I am not a fan of all the outside cosmetic appearances such as the hood scoop(not functional right?), the "gills" on the windows and the spoiler on the back. Now I am interested in the brembo package but have trouble justifying if it will be worth it or not. I will RARELY track this car. It's basically going to be used for highway driving to and from work and when out and about in town. (I'm a sucker for upgrades though! :-D) Also the 3.73 gears, are only an added $400.00 to the price. Now I'm a total car noob so whats the difference between what the mustang comes with and upgrading to 3.73 gears? Does that have to do with the synchros in the gears? quicker shifting?

Be gentle but flame away if needed haha
Any help will be much appreciated!
Hey Cyder,

I too was a first time mustang buyer this year with a candy red 2010 GT premium. I've always been a Chevy Camero guy but I kicked the Camero to the curb after I drove the new Mustang... I've never been obsessed with a car until now. Shes a pretty special ride.

I have the 3.73 gearing, 19" wheel and stock brakes and the 5 speed. I'm happy with the old 4.6, in fact I think I'd just get into trouble with anything faster. I consider the car to be "perfect" just as it came off the lot. I admit though that I garage it and only take it out on weekends. It's never seen the rain. I have a Tahoe for commuting and winter driving.

I hope you enjoy your new Mustang as much as I've enjoyed mine.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
Cyder

Originally Posted by alkemist
Believe the stock color is still green and yes, you do need the premium package to get the "my color" options.. I still use a customized green color.. go figure. The only thing heated you can get on the car so far are the seats.. which comes in the comfort package. The salesman clueless lulz.
The Mycolor option I knew was only available in the Premium. I'm talking about the options to change the colors from green to red, blue, purple..etc as well as the ambient lighting around your feet.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

The ambient lighting should be part of the my color.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:50 AM
Cyder

Originally Posted by potman
Hey Cyder,

I too was a first time mustang buyer this year with a candy red 2010 GT premium. I've always been a Chevy Camero guy but I kicked the Camero to the curb after I drove the new Mustang... I've never been obsessed with a car until now. Shes a pretty special ride.

I have the 3.73 gearing, 19" wheel and stock brakes and the 5 speed. I'm happy with the old 4.6, in fact I think I'd just get into trouble with anything faster. I consider the car to be "perfect" just as it came off the lot. I admit though that I garage it and only take it out on weekends. It's never seen the rain. I have a Tahoe for commuting and winter driving.

I hope you enjoy your new Mustang as much as I've enjoyed mine.
Thanks! I can't wait, even if it has to be factory ordered because I called and added the 3.73 gears, it'll be worth the wait. I've already put an order in for a Rousch exhaust haha

Quick Reply: Ordering a 2011 Mustang GT tonight have some questions..