Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

gt 5.0 vert 6 speed or auto????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Revenge

Default gt 5.0 vert 6 speed or auto????

I will be placing an order for a new 5.0 in the next week. I would prefer a 6 speed cause it was like butter but my wife wants the auto. I have sent sold my two seat sports car to better fit the family of three. So should I just give it and get the auto or fight for the 6 speed. I want this to be a fun purchase for all involved. Also I do live in a high traffic/many lights area. Are there any down sides to the auto besides not being able to get gears stock? Thanks for any input I am fairly new the this forum.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:26 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

So you want us to tell you how to handle your wife? Dangerous grounds my friend . . .
Old 10-08-2010, 05:42 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I made the mistake of letting my wife decide on the auto for my 2008 as a way to convince her to let me get a GT. her reasoning was that she could drive manual but she prefered auto and she wanted to be able to drive the GT whenever. So fine, I got the auto so i could get the GT. She's driven th car maybe 7 or 8 times in the 2 1/2 years I've owned it.

Her excuse is she doesn't like the way it drives (RWD) when she goes around corners she'll punch it and kick the rear out which scares her (yes even with traction control on)

Would I let her decide the tranny of my car again? Nope, I'll get what I want next time.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:00 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Considering that you live in the city, I would recommend that you get the auto. The reason is because going through up to 6 gears in constant stop and go traffic, that can get very old really quickly. Also, if you will be toting around your wife and kid in this kind of traffic, constantly shifting up and down, and the occasional jerks of shifting the gears could make for car sickness. That is, unless your ride the clutch often for silky smooth shifts, but at the sacrifice of your clutch life. For this, I would say it is worth the additional $1000 for the auto tranny.

Now, if this will just be your fun car and not your DD, then the stick is the way to go. The MT82 is a blast to drive when you are driving with spirit; the gears smoothly shift at 3000+ RPMs, but at lower RPMs, it is clunky and clicks alot, especially from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd shifts. Again, unless you ride the clutch alot, especially at the lower gears (and you don't mine the expense of you clutch's life).
Old 10-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Musclejunkie

This is a no brainer. Stick. She won't like it and you will be able to have the car to yourself. Women have too many rights already. They can even vote! Tell her her job is to be your subserviant slave, you know...barefoot pregnant and in the kitchen. My mom never even had a driver's license.....ahhhh the good old days!

You know I'm not serious AND I'm divorced. Any surprise there? If it were me, I would get the auto on the GT model. They screwed up the stick on the eight cylinder and put in one of those old man shift kits which force you to go from 1 to 4 locking out 2 and 3. This severely pisses me off! Only way around it is to drive with your foot into it, and there goes your gas money right out the window. I test drove both the auto and stick in both the six and eight models. I liked the stick in the six (you can shift it without lockout) and the auto in the eight cylinder model (plenty of horses under the hood to get you in trouble) and you can still manually shift 1, 2 and 3 (but too bad it doesn't have paddle shifter) maybe next year?

Wife happy = man happy. Get the auto.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Revenge

What if your not on it you have to go into 4th gear, thats crazy
Old 10-09-2010, 12:24 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Only a matter of time before someone sells a 5 dollar part to eliminate it. My cts-v does it and a 20 Buck "kit" deletes it.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Musclejunkie

Good to know.....thanks for clarifying. This was not one of Ford's better ideas!
Old 10-09-2010, 08:03 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

Dude, get the stick before they go extinct.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Stick go extinct! I think that customer demand will be way too strong for sticks to disappear.

I think sticks are hear to stay, and the only way sticks will be eliminated is only if the entire auto industry does away with tranny gears altogether and goes with CVT and IVT trannys!

If you don't mind the nuances of the MT82 I mentioned earler and don't mind having to step on the clutch often especially during rush hour traffic, then I say save the $1000 off your Ford order and get the stick! Other than that, that additional $1K is not that much more for several years of rush hour driving with the ease of automatic.

Quick Reply: gt 5.0 vert 6 speed or auto????