Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you think I could get the '11 5.0 sounding like the 05-09 GT's

Old 10-12-2010, 08:03 PM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
There's no doubt that they will sound a little different.
On the other hand... there is also no doubt that you can get that thing
sounding plenty deep and raspy. The market will catch up and help feed it's customers what they crave.

A nice set of long tubes will get it deep and if you want a more raspy sound get an aftermarket x instead of an H pipe.
If you matched those up with some SLP's.. you would get ALOT of rasp and the longtubed would add the deep for ya.

I also think cams make our cars sound MUCH more old school muscle car.

For our cars (05-10) midmuffler setups helped us sound like the previous generation.
I am not sure if they would have the same effect on the new 5.0's or not but they sure could.
Blacksmoke,
Thank you for always answering my questions. Also, thank you for reassuring me that I would be able to make the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 sound nicely deep and raspy.

I was a little concerned in the beginning because stock, the the 11' 5.0 sounded a little weak for my taste, and had an odd sound to it that I can't really explain.

But hopefully as you stated, when the aftermarket catches up, I will be able to transform that into a nice throaty deep muscle car, such as the 05-09 when they have some headers, x-pipe, and cam's set into them.

Either way, the performance of the 2011 GT is phenomenal from what I have been hearing, and my primary concern was matching that performance with a muscle car sound.

Also, I heard that the axle back was the reasoning behind the Mustang GT 2011 sounding weak stock. Is it possible to take out that axle-back, and replace it with a cat-back system instead? Or are the axle-back and cat-back two different sections of the car, a little confused here?

Thank you
AJ
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 PM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Yeah I am confused, people have been saying that the reasoning for the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 sounding weak stock was because the usage of a axle-back e xhaust, and they said that to get the muscle car sound, replace it w/ a catback. But don't all cars have a catback and a axleback ? Can someone explain?
Old 10-12-2010, 09:14 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StayingFit24_7
Yeah I am confused, people have been saying that the reasoning for the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 sounding weak stock was because the usage of a axle-back e xhaust, and they said that to get the muscle car sound, replace it w/ a catback. But don't all cars have a catback and a axleback ? Can someone explain?
Everything 05 + is a axle back muffler system stock. That pypes system I linked you for example is a cat back system however. It also relocates the mufflers to the center. Esentialy that changes the pitch and deepens the sound much farther back up the tube. Giving it time to develope the sound and add a lot of the depth too it. However the fact that it is not a chambered muffler, you get a lot less muffeled sound so it should be deep and clear and very loud.

If I were you I would go with:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-ch...ders-2011.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-of...pe-2011gt.html
and the super system here:
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-mustang2.html

If you move quick you can get a killer deal on the cat back system and get the "pre production price." The BBK stuff is preorder but they make very good products, I have been using there headers for years now and put a set on my moms car also. Whatever you do just make sure you send me a PM with the video ;-)
Old 10-12-2010, 11:14 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StayingFit24_7
Actually, quite the opposite. I am looking for that just obnoxious muscle car sound if you know what I'm saying, probably something that sounds like yours actually(I looked at your setup, and nice setup btw, you should be proud of yourself) But yeah, something like yours? Do you think that's achievable with this 2011 5.0 model?
To do that, you will need a bit more lop into the engine. This kind of sound can actually be tuned in by phasing the cams such that LCA is reduced and you have more overlap for the RPM you are running. You get the benefit of the lop as well as some of the fresh fuel-air still igniting as the exhaust valves open a little early.

Then add exhaust upgrades and you got that sweet sound you are looking for.
Old 10-13-2010, 01:55 PM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
Everything 05 + is a axle back muffler system stock. That pypes system I linked you for example is a cat back system however. It also relocates the mufflers to the center. Esentialy that changes the pitch and deepens the sound much farther back up the tube. Giving it time to develope the sound and add a lot of the depth too it. However the fact that it is not a chambered muffler, you get a lot less muffeled sound so it should be deep and clear and very loud.

If I were you I would go with:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-ch...ders-2011.html
http://www.americanmuscle.com/bbk-of...pe-2011gt.html
and the super system here:
http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-mustang2.html

If you move quick you can get a killer deal on the cat back system and get the "pre production price." The BBK stuff is preorder but they make very good products, I have been using there headers for years now and put a set on my moms car also. Whatever you do just make sure you send me a PM with the video ;-)
Thanks man, great information, your really helping. So if i am understanding correctly, its either a car has a cat back stock, or an axle back stock, but not both?

And yeah, I am liking the pypes system you sent me. I was planning on putting bbk longtube ceramic headers, bbk xpipe, and borla ATAK catback?

Thank you! Also, I would love a video from your car too
Old 10-13-2010, 02:14 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Also.. the 2011's have resonators in addition to the axlebacks.... that surely accounts for the anemic 2011 exhaust note. When I get on the car.. I hear all engine and no exhaust.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:21 PM
sonicx
speed'n

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Also.. the 2011's have resonators in addition to the axlebacks.... that surely accounts for the anemic 2011 exhaust note. When I get on the car.. I hear all engine and no exhaust.
THATS A GOOD THING!

Mines like 55 exhaust 45 engine i'd say. Wish my was all motor. But hey at least it aint all exhaust (RICE).
Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM
StayingFit24_7
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sonicx
THATS A GOOD THING!

Mines like 55 exhaust 45 engine i'd say. Wish my was all motor. But hey at least it aint all exhaust (RICE).
hahah Ricer! Don't respect ricers!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:03 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I surprisingly like rice, Minute rice and spam makes for a great snack!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Mayberry40
2nd Gear Member

I would like my 08 GT to sound like my 87 GT did!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you think I could get the '11 5.0 sounding like the 05-09 GT's