Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What performance mods to do first....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Okay, I may be out of league here, but. Does not an under-drive pulley slow the accessories down? Would this also slow the oil pump down? Doesn't the oil do more on the 5.0 than just lubricate the engine. Such as operate the variable timed cams etc. Just wondering if this is so and if we should not fool with the oil pump?
Can anyone elucidate?

Cheers.
If that's the case, I certainly am not changing them. I can't imagine changing them doing that much anyway.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:06 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

My car responded well too longtubes and cams. Just another option.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
bigtom
2nd Gear Member

My car is a new edge. Only 2 performance mods I ever felt a difference was the gears and the supercharger
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
tjr1973
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
My car responded well too longtubes and cams. Just another option.
Which cams did you put in it? Did they affect the vehicle in any negative ways? I was looking at cams as well but was surprised at the cost....
Old 10-14-2010, 12:33 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tjr1973
Which cams did you put in it? Did they affect the vehicle in any negative ways? I was looking at cams as well but was surprised at the cost....
Detroit rockers. No negatives. Great tone, some power increase. Cams and longtubes got my times down from 13.4 to 13.13. Mine and hotrods are great dd cams. Some others have great power but suffer as a dd. I installed with friends so that saved me $300-400.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:53 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nemosgt
Okay, I may be out of league here, but. Does not an under-drive pulley slow the accessories down? Would this also slow the oil pump down? Doesn't the oil do more on the 5.0 than just lubricate the engine. Such as operate the variable timed cams etc. Just wondering if this is so and if we should not fool with the oil pump?
Can anyone elucidate?

Cheers.
The UD pullies DO NOT slow down anything internal to the engine, such as oil pump. It only slows down accesories that run off the serpentine belt- alternator, water pump, power steering pump, AC compressor. It only slows them down by a few hundred RPM. Not really enough to affect their operation, but enough to free up a few HP, around 8 to 10 maybe. But a cheap and easy mod, so whether they are worth it are up to you...
Old 10-19-2010, 09:14 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

The throttle-response on these cars from the factory is putrid. Feels sluggish for a muscle car. For that reason, plus the HP gain for reasonable cost, my vote for First Mod is a CAI/Tuner combo. Either Brenspeed or American Muscle seem to be the two favorites around here, and if you by the combo from one of them, you can get updated tune files with every new mod you buy from them for free.
My vote for Mod #2: , probably UD pullies.
Mod #3 gears ! get 4.10's. You will not be sorry there either. though this mod is not fairly cheap like the first two, primarily due to the added cost of install-this one is WELL worth it!
From there, probably start working on upgraging the exhaust- headers, X-pipe maybe, etc.
Them, if all that still aint enough for ya, go supercharger. Most cost, most HP gain. Yes, anytime you add that much HP to an engine, you are gonna get more wear and tear on the engine and drivetrain, thats' just the nature of a major power adder like that. Plus you risk grenading the motor, but that risk can be avoided for the most part with the proper tune... I would not recommend any sort of mail-order tune with a SC, because you want to make sure the car is tuned for proper AF ratio and so there is no detonation when on the boost. Done right, these cars will run with an SC installed for a long time with no issues. Hell, the Roush Mustangs come stock with superchargers.
Well that is my mod list opinion, and the order is debatable, but those are what I would do
Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SilverHoss
The UD pullies DO NOT slow down anything internal to the engine, such as oil pump. It only slows down accesories that run off the serpentine belt- alternator, water pump, power steering pump, AC compressor. It only slows them down by a few hundred RPM. Not really enough to affect their operation, but enough to free up a few HP, around 8 to 10 maybe. But a cheap and easy mod, so whether they are worth it are up to you...
See. I was out of my league. Thanks for the input.

Cheers.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:47 PM
mdskala
1st Gear Member

thinking of a roush cai and axle back exhaust with am sct tune.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
jackal119
1st Gear Member

Summer only tires first and maybe a wider rim before any kind of tune. Better rubber is always the best mod for any car. Then maybe a tune but that only does maybe 5-15HP and that iffy at best. After that just buy a better car if its still not doing it for you. Unless you got a crate engine on the list then have fun.

Quick Reply: What performance mods to do first....