Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Intake Manifold Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
This is a quote from a recent MM&FF mag regarding the FRPP intake:

Not only that, FRPP has specifically come out and said that the flexing hasn't caused a failure in their tests. As such, I will not hesitate to buy one if I decide to do a manifold. Its quite a bit cheaper than the C&L which being aluminum is going to serve as a big heat sink...
I love how people routinely bring this up. Sorry mudflap not trying to be a dick, but the problem with people bringing this up is they do not understand that the problem is not under boost. They gave so much thought into strengthening it under expansion, they neglected the vacuum. It is not expansing cause of boost, it is returning to its normal size when the vacuum is released. Also, the "hasn't caused a failure yet" is not a good excuse when only a few hundred have been sold and the product has been out less then 6 months. If you even read there "warranty" they have given on it now, it doesn't cover anything of use. Like if it pops and blows your motor and you fly off the road, total your car, loose a limb and can prove it was the intake. So long as you are willing to pay someone to take it off and ship it to FRPP they will refund the cost of the intake....

Maybe I am too harsh on it, but to me the jury is still out on that part. Plastic being heat cycled and exposed to extream temps cold and hot, does not usualy fair well with flexing. 3 years is not that long of a time, if they are mostly lasting past 6 years I will eat my words.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 AM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

If you are already committed to the product, definately keep us informed. I suspect you will be losing some significant low end grunt......and as for the 7k rev limit, seems a little extreme for the stock valve springs. I'll bet you experience float before you get to 7k.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
um, I was refering to have you gone out and looked at your intake while someone is sitting in the car and presses the gas hard?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQfRb...eature=related
wow, that looks totally safe.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JDWalton
I love how people routinely bring this up. Sorry mudflap not trying to be a dick, but the problem with people bringing this up is they do not understand that the problem is not under boost. They gave so much thought into strengthening it under expansion, they neglected the vacuum. It is not expansing cause of boost, it is returning to its normal size when the vacuum is released. Also, the "hasn't caused a failure yet" is not a good excuse when only a few hundred have been sold and the product has been out less then 6 months. If you even read there "warranty" they have given on it now, it doesn't cover anything of use. Like if it pops and blows your motor and you fly off the road, total your car, loose a limb and can prove it was the intake. So long as you are willing to pay someone to take it off and ship it to FRPP they will refund the cost of the intake....

Maybe I am too harsh on it, but to me the jury is still out on that part. Plastic being heat cycled and exposed to extream temps cold and hot, does not usualy fair well with flexing. 3 years is not that long of a time, if they are mostly lasting past 6 years I will eat my words.
Maybe you should quit whatever job you have and become a full-time activist against this particular manifold dude.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:01 AM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

Sorry man, its just that everyone says, "its safe under boost" though the issue occurs at vacuum. Don't mean to step on any toes, but I didn't make anything up in my statement either.

Really I was just curious if his was flexing. I'm sure this has become such a PR nightmare at Ford that sooner or later there will be a revised version that is strengthened, if nothing else but to appear better.

Didnt mean to insult you, didnt think you felt so strongly about it....
Old 10-21-2010, 11:10 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't trust that Intake either.. I was under the impression that it was flexing AT 30+ psi let alone just giving it gas from an idle rofl

wow, that's crazy.. no way I'd even put that on with cams.

The C&L Racer intake manifold may weigh double the FRPP but at least it won't bust an intake runner at 6k rpm.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I don't feel strongly about it, I could care less frankly. Replying to that was just too much effort, lol. Theres no evidence to support the FRPP manifold WILL fail. The pressure it will see at vacuum is something like 1/3 of the overall pressure its tested for. I'd buy it. /shrug The C&L is going to retain heat like a **** and its expensive. It also has lost power in every review of it I've seen.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:32 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

interestingly enough Brenspeed only reviewed it to be a measly 10whp with forced induction.. that's a ton of money for that. The delete plates by themselves are worth that much. Cams make the biggest difference imo (blown), way over the intake manifold...
Old 10-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
interestingly enough Brenspeed only reviewed it to be a measly 10whp with forced induction.. that's a ton of money for that. The delete plates by themselves are worth that much. Cams make the biggest difference imo (blown), way over the intake manifold...
Strange, I emailed Chandler at Brenspeed asking about the FRPP manifold a few weeks ago and got this response:

Yes, with forced induction the intake manifolds are picking up some pretty good power. Around 30-40 in the midrange.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:06 PM
JDWalton
5th Gear Member

and the plot thikens! I had only heard similar to stealth, that the power gain was low, and there was low end loss but if they got it making power now it may just have been early revisions of tunes people were having problems with.

Quick Reply: FRPP Intake Manifold Question