Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newbie needs help: GT Vert Purchase

Old 10-24-2010, 08:54 AM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

Default Newbie needs help: GT Vert Purchase

Been look'n to get back into a Mustang. Sold my '79 Vette last month after 13 years to start the process. Want to buy gently used 2007-08 GT Premium Vert, love the retro look!! Passed on a couple cars already for a few reasons (one had a dirty parchment roof). Now ran across a 2008 cream puff white Calif Special w/Black cloth roof with zero dings or scratches in or out.

All interior pkgs + amb. lighting, Sirius, HID, boot cover, 3.55 ratio, active-theft & wheel locks, only has 12.9k miles and late inservice date of June-2008 which helps for warranty of course. Dealer was asking $26.9k for pre-winter-sale. After test drive and a few back & forths he came down to 25.5k We stated still too high & we're leaving and his last final-final last offer is $25k, Original sticker was close to $38k. Is this a VG deal or just ok??? or should I wait for a potential distress sale during the winter. We live in northern NJ so car would just get gentle use in winter so no rush. But if truly a real good deal i don't want to pass on it either, even though I was hoping to stay closer to $20k with any purchase. thanks all... really need opinions/thoughts, don't be shy please
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 PM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

TTT

come on guys.. I'm just seeking help and asking for opinions!!

70+ views and no replies? What do you gys do when you vote; walk in without pulling a lever or what? ha-ha; just having some fun

seriously... I'm just looking for thoughts from current Mustang owners

thanks
Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM
johnd304

GT keeps the value better than the v6. I have an 08 v6 with 20,000mi on it and I'd be lucky to get 17 out of mine. 25 may be a little much imo. See if you can get him to 23? Take 24 if you can?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:57 AM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

John.. thx for reply & believe me I tried & tried to get him down to $24k level w/zippo luck

also remember, this is a Convertible (which we want) so when new that's $5k premuim above a GT Coupe. Plus this car has the $1,895 Calif Special pkg + all the other goodies

For comparision, I have a bead an another mint 2008 Convertible (windveil blue with black vinyl roof) without the Calif Pkg, but all other major options including Navi (which I don't really want or need). That one has ~ 24k miles and rock bottom price before dealer wholesales is $23k.. was asking close to $25k
Old 10-25-2010, 08:08 AM
douglasland
2nd Gear Member

On verts you have a far smaller number of cars to wade through. I think it's high but I would pay if it meets your requirements and you are tired of searching.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:52 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

IMO $25k is too much for a 2008 GT/CS convertible. Probably been more acceptable a year ago, but now that the 2011 is out, that changes up the game.

Don't know how much research or looking you've done but the '11 is causing quite a bit of previous model years to show back up on lots. Unless this is the car you really need to have, you might want to keep browsing. Plus I'm sure the dealership will be giving you call backs if you pass.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I also concur that $25k is high. But as stated previously, if it meets your needs, wants desires, then go for it. What's a measley $3-5K. But I'd still negotiate it down. A dealer can smell someone willing to cave a mile away.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:20 PM
yanks1
1st Gear Member

thx for additional replies... I also think it may be a touch high, but dealer retail on Edmunds, KBB & NADA avg's $28k for dealer retail and 25k for PP & 23k for trade-in. I hear you on the 2011s causing a stir due to the higer HP, etc. So I'm also thinking/hoping perhaps more GT Verts may be appearing in next few months.. or maybe not because i know the 2011s are very pricey?? This 2008 is one that we do love and to us the White GT-CS looks really sharp. So we e have to decide whether paying possibly a bit more is worth it or not and why i started this thread. Dealer claimed 25K is absolute rock bottom for him (I dealt with the owner.. its family owned). He stated he'll store for winter if he has to, and sell it for more come Spring
Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Just remember that every car on their lot costs money to keep. He may be trying to play a bluff card. Either way, the longer the car sits, the more desperate they will be to get rid of it. If you are patient and didn't mind taking the chance of it being sold, you can play the game too.

In the end though, it's really your call.

Last edited by alkemist; 10-25-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:48 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

I think it's only worth what you are willing to pay... If you aren't hurting to drive off the lot today, then maybe the waiting game will work for you... Perhaps you can find a vert further from you for the price you are looking for...

For what it's worth, and for comparison's sake, I found several 2009 Mustang V6 Vert's with about 26k miles for $16K on eBay motors... Compared to the 2008 GT/CS Vert with half that number of miles you are looking at for $9K more doesn't seem to be that great of a deal... Perhaps it would be a really great deal if they would come down another 2 or 3 grand...

Either way, good luck and post up pics when you get it...

Don

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie needs help: GT Vert Purchase