Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

808's m90 Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 01:43 PM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Nice, I'm looking forward to seeing how your install pans out. I'm still pretty settled on the Paxton HO myself due to the $4995 price tag. I did notice that the 2010 M90 kits are suddenly $4299 at Blue Oval Industries. Thats a strong price for the kit, but it'll put down 100 less rwhp than the Paxton out of the box. The Upgrade package for the M90 would make it about the same price as the Paxton, but it would still be 50-60 rwhp shy overall. Still, I haven't ruled it out. The M90 looks easier to install since it doesn't appear I'd have to cut anything to make it fit. I also love that whine and the instant boost aspect. The Paxton would be a beast on the highway, but wouldn't be as punchy under 4k rpm... The M90 plus an upgrade kit will end up costing within $500-700 of a Saleen kit from Brenspeed. Decisions, decisons.
I thought about the Saleen kits too. Brenspeed is selling the Saleen VI @ 475HP (crank) for 5500.00. The M90 from JDM with their intake/pulley kit is selling for about a grand less with 500HP (crank). True with the Saleen that you can upgrade to 580HP (crank) but on a stock block thats nuts. I respect everyones own decision but for me the M90 just seems practical in HP for dollar, especially when I'm not going forged. Plus its got that traditional blower look. And on top of that has a nice chrome finish. The Paxton 2200 HO was also on my mind but its the same as with the Saleens which was buying more than I will ever use. Plus the Paxton install is like 14 hours and a pain. Like you Mudflap I've researched this to death and to me HP for dollar and ease of install the M90 is the front runner IMO.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
top00cat
2nd Gear Member

my problem is I originally said cams would give me enough power, and than it was gears and than it was headers and now it is a supercharger lol. I like the m90 as well but am afraid that this cycle will never end
Old 11-04-2010, 06:18 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by top00cat
my problem is I originally said cams would give me enough power, and than it was gears and than it was headers and now it is a supercharger lol. I like the m90 as well but am afraid that this cycle will never end
I thought my non-intercooled Whipple would be enough at 361rwhp. It was for a few weeks.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd double check that clutch situation.

I'm not sure but I have heard from some that the stock clutch
is only reliable to about 400hp.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I'd double check that clutch situation.

I'm not sure but I have heard from some that the stock clutch
is only reliable to about 400hp.
Mine started slipping at 408rwhp. Most noticeable going uphill and getting on it in a higher gear.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by timmbo
I thought about the Saleen kits too. Brenspeed is selling the Saleen VI @ 475HP (crank) for 5500.00. The M90 from JDM with their intake/pulley kit is selling for about a grand less with 500HP (crank). True with the Saleen that you can upgrade to 580HP (crank) but on a stock block thats nuts. I respect everyones own decision but for me the M90 just seems practical in HP for dollar, especially when I'm not going forged. Plus its got that traditional blower look. And on top of that has a nice chrome finish. The Paxton 2200 HO was also on my mind but its the same as with the Saleens which was buying more than I will ever use. Plus the Paxton install is like 14 hours and a pain. Like you Mudflap I've researched this to death and to me HP for dollar and ease of install the M90 is the front runner IMO.
The 2010 M90 kit is $500-700 more than the 05-09 kits unfortunately. I personally wouldn't buy anything from JDM, because I've seen time and time again where people come on here and complain of being s@#t on by those guys. The absolute best I can do on an M90 with a "500hp" upgrade is about $4900~. This puts it < $1000 away from some other kits thats are also very interesting. For me, the #1 thing the M90 has going for it is the install simplicity (the 2010 kits even come with quick connect wiring harnesses). The downside of the M90 for me, is at 435hp crank and 370rwhp, its not going to be enough power. I basically HAVE to buy an upgrade kit for it, which as I said above, launches me very close in price to some other kits. For $900 more I can run a Brenspeed Saleen Stage II for example...
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

^^^^ Yeah your right considering your elevation and 2010 pricing I think the Paxton HO or Saleen for you would be a better option. The OP got all his stuff from JDM so I'm not going to make a decision until I see his results. I'm really looking forward to what his impression is going to be of the JDM tune. As a mechanic one thing I HATE is dicking around trying to solve performance problems where I'm helpless. And with a custom tune you pretty much are. Many people seem to be happy the VMP's M90 kit and tune so thats an option as well.
Or I could just say screw it all and do the Paxton 2200 HO from Brenspeed because I trust them through doing several transactions through them including perfect tunes. I thought about the Saleen too but the thing is a beast. Directions even have you denting in the firewall with a plastic hammer for clearance LOL!!! Plus at clutch time, which I'm sure wouldn't be to far down the line that thing is going to be a nutbuster to pull! With the Paxton, no worries.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Good M90 install link with photos if anyone is interested:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...all/index.html
Old 11-05-2010, 12:16 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Good link timmbo, thanks. I believe it shows a pic of the heater hose that others have said was difficult to reach.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Two people I know now are getting M90's installed next week.

Quick Reply: 808's m90 Install Thread