Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2010: Power Steering Belt Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 03:50 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Default 2010: Power Steering Belt Noise?

Maybe it just that I pick up noises more than others but has anyone else notice that their power steering belt can whine while turing the wheel? I only notice mine after the car has warmed up some. Driving around parking lots I can hear it working everytime I turn the wheel.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:43 PM
dandimar

I just took delivery of a 2010 Mustang GT (Kona Blue) this past Saturday. I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel all the way to wheel lock in either direction, I hear a high pitch squealing sound. It is only at wheel lock and I do not hear this sound at any other time (so far). I have heard this twice and at both times the car was just started and the temperature was cold.

Anyone else having this problem? Anyone else have a fix? Warranty issue?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Update:

Here is the story up to this point since I last posted.

I took the car into the dealer to look into the noise as well as have an oil change about 3 weeks ago.

The dealer thought that it was a bushing/bearing in the shaft that went bad but after picking it up the noise was still there. Come to find out, they didnt hear the same noise that my wife and I were hearing. So I ended up driving the Mechanic, then the Service writer and then the forman around until they all heard it. I had to have the car to drive to work so I told them I would bring it back.

Fast forward two weeks to my week off work and I drop it off again on Monday. On Thursday they call me and say the still think its the bushing/bearing and they order another replacememnt part to replace the part they just replaced. The noise was still there.

So they call ford and ford tells them to replace the bushing/bearing they already repaced....

So they call a ford engineer who finally tells them to replace my rack and pinion steering. So I am now wating for the part to come in next thursday.

But now I am hearing a vibrating/buzzing noise under acceleration. They cant hear that either....

:P
Old 01-06-2011, 05:37 PM
jdnewlin2nd

wow that is crazy im going through the exact same thing with my 2010 mustang gt... went and had the noise checked out and they replaced bushing also. got back to town and noise still there... went back today they said they tried everything to fix it before they replaced bushing and there was nothing else they could do... they think it could be a factory defect but idk... u have to let mine warm up also before u hear it... if enough people could tell ford they might find a soulution... the tech told me the lube they try to make the noise go away just wont hold...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 AM
dandimar

I've owned the car for about a month now, and the noise has gone away with time. Sometimes it shows up, but never as loud as when I first heard it. I read somewhere it could be air bubbles in the hydraulic line that vent out with time. Not sure how much credibility I can give that statement. Also I'm told it is just typical for a hydraulic pump to get "upset" and make noise at wheel lock (which is the only time I hear the sounds).
Old 01-07-2011, 09:32 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

Just got my car back after they replaced the Rack and Pinion.

I no longer hear the noise. I haven't had it back 24 hours yet but it usually only takes a few miles of driving for it to be very audible. I drive into work this morning (15 miles 45min to an hr drive time) and no steering noise.

So, so far its looking/sounding good.

Bad news is the buzzing sound under light aceleration is still there. Service writer think it may be an exhaust noise but they have been able to hear it yet...

I will have to drive them around again in it so they can hear it.

Anyway, JD, have your shop look into the rack and pinion.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:10 AM
jdnewlin2nd

Default jdn

Is noise still gone since u replaced rack and pinion?
Old 01-10-2011, 10:24 AM
jdnewlin2nd

Default jdn

To the guy that replaced rack and pinion if u could email me your vin number... The shop manager at Shenandoah Ford would like to look into for me... I'd appreciate it a lot Jdnewlin2nd@aol.com
Old 01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
SirDrums
2nd Gear Member

The noise has not come back.

I'll get you that VIN soon.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 PM
jdnewlin2nd

Default jdnewlin2nd

Good to hear that its fixed im trying to talk to Ford into doing the same for me...

Quick Reply: 2010: Power Steering Belt Noise?