Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me spend my money

Old 11-06-2010, 03:48 PM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

Default Help me spend my money

I have a budget of $1800 and am looking at adding some mods to my 2010 Mustang GT Premium, 5 speed. I know questions like this are almost always based on personal preference but here is what I am considering for my daily driver:

CAI
American Muscle SCT Tuner
3.73 gears
Cat Back Exhaust
Underdrive Pulleys
Lowering Springs

I have a friend who has offered to sell his new(ish) BBK Long Tube Headers for a $150 so I will be adding those down the road.

The type of input Im looking for is brands and combinations of parts that would maximize my efforts without breaking my budget. Im interested in hearing what you may have to offer. Im pretty new to all of this so if there is something listed above that makes you say "why the hell does he want that and not (insert random part)?"

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM
rangerheave
1st Gear Member

questions to go with my post above:

1) since the 2010 comes with a factory "CAI", would there be an benefit to simply buying a K&N drop in filter replacement and save some money on the JLT or C&L CAI?

2) Im not opppossed to buying a new Cam and have done some research on it. I like the sounds it produces and the easy horse power gains.

3) Would the C&L or FRPP intake manifold play into this as well?

Again, thanks in advance for helping out a Rookie. Im eager to hear you honest assessments.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Help you spend your money?!

Buy me a Cheeseburger and a Milkshake please.

You can split mods into two categories: Performance and Styling.

Looks like you are leaning mostly toward the performance side of things. I'd say that if you are happy with how your ride looks then that's cool. But EVERYONE has got to have a styling mod they are dying to get... right?

Of the things you mentioned, I'd go with CAI and Cat-Backs.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Since tax season is right around the corner pocket your 1800 bucks and save up for a supercharger. Get a centrifugal of some type...they are cheaper than twinscrews
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Personally, I'd say...

SCT Tuner. Just do it.
Catbacks, it'll make your baby sound mean.
3.73 or 4.10 gears.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
mikemc04gt
2nd Gear Member

Of the mods you mentioned, 4.10's and exhaust will give you the most bang for the buck in therms of fun factor. Having owned Mustang GT's with both 3.73 and 4.10 rears, unless you do a lot of interstate driving, go with the 4.10's. I really did not notice that great a difference going from stock to 3.73, but the 4.10 will just amaze you. I also would recommend going with axle back instead of cat back. Not sure the difference in performance is equal to the difference in $. I have Pype Bombs and the car sounds awesome. Now that I have both 4.10's and exhaust, I find myself at work thinking about driving when I'm not driving! I don't have a tuner so I can't comment on how much it would gain you.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 PM
SandMan123
1st Gear Member

Best bang for the buck? Trade in for 2011 gt.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:01 AM
Fifthwind
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BFMacias
Since tax season is right around the corner pocket your 1800 bucks and save up for a supercharger. Get a centrifugal of some type...they are cheaper than twinscrews
Hmmmm.... I always owe at tax season... so that strategy wouldn't work. I'd lose my $1800.00 and then some.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

If the 2010s are anything like the 05-09s then do yourself a favor and don't skimp out on the CAI. Get a C&L or something equivalent with a custom tune. You will not be disappointed. Save your money on exhaust and just swap out the mufflers. You're probably going to want to do the gears before or at least at the same time as the cams (if you do them); you're going to lose some low end torque and the gears will help you out there. I can't comment on the gears or suspension.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:07 AM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

CAI/tune

gears

udp's

cat backs if $ left over

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help me spend my money