Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brenspeed Reviews JLT Oil Separator; ITS AWESOME!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Default Brenspeed Reviews JLT Oil Separator; ITS AWESOME!

JLT Plug & Play Oil Separator:

For a long time now we have been selling and installing Oil Separators and although they worked well we never felt they fit the engine compartment like a lot of the OEM looking parts we sell. Most companies make a separator that has a canister with a lot of rubber lines and clamps that allow you to choose the location of the separator mounting. This leaves you at times with a “rats nest” appearance in the engine compartment. JLT has released the most OEM looking plug and play oil separator we have used yet.

Oil Separators serve a basic purpose. In short they capture oil that may be trying to work its way through your crankcase venting process. Why do you want to capture this oil? Oil in the intake can cause many issues. A few of the popular ones are it can come to rest in your throttle body which many of you know causes idle issues on S197 Mustangs. It can coat your intake manifold, work its way into the rotors of your supercharger, clog your intercooler fins, and dilute your gas octane level. This can cause detonation which can in turn cause engine damage.

The new JLT oil separator comes with OEM lines already attached so you can simply plug it into existing vacuum ports. Total install time is faster than you have read this article. The new oil separator is machined from solid billet aluminum. It has a knurled tank base for easy removal and uses a Ford Motorcraft metal mesh PCV pre-filter element. According to JLT this element collects the last bit of oil droplets and drains back into the tank when the engine is shut down. The tank holds 2 oz. of fluid and will hold enough oil to only need checked every oil change. The tanks are available in anodized black or anadoized clear coat satin finish.

We get a lot of new products in every year and this is for sure one of the coolest. Hope you found this info helpful as it is a very nice piece. If you have more questions we didn’t answer don’t hesitate to give us a call at 574.594.9559 we will be happy to help. These plug and play separators only retail for $119 including the OEM Ford Lines already attached. More information and pictures of these can be found at the link below.

http://www.brenspeed.com/05-08-musta...eperators.html
Old 11-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Very nice piece indeed. I wish I had seen this one before I bought the UPR can. The UPR can works fine, but I had to trash the heater hose that came with it and buy fuel hose and clamps. The heater hose would get hot and the vacuum would cause it to go flat. I really like the OE style hoses that come on the JLT can.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I bought the steeda unit last year. That POS didn't even come with the proper hardware to hook it up. Of course i didn't realize this until after I cut the oem pipe. I had to spend another $10 @ napa to make it work. Jlt makes good stuff. Doesn't surprise me they came out with a superior unit.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:59 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

that jlt looks nice. i have the upr one and love it.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Can it also be used on the passenger side breather line?
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

Do you need one on both sides? Looking at the picture it seems if the "catch can" doesn't get attached to anything? Is it just sitting on top of the valve covers?

Originally Posted by Acerbus 2.0
Can it also be used on the passenger side breather line?
Old 11-10-2010, 03:39 PM
07GrabU
2nd Gear Member

on the Christmas list. I cant believe I said "Christmas" already. Geez.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
Do you need one on both sides? Looking at the picture it seems if the "catch can" doesn't get attached to anything? Is it just sitting on top of the valve covers?
you only need one on the drivers side when the PCV lines are intact. look inside the hoses, there will only be oil in the driver's side.
and the catch can is held up by the hoses, it is light enough where the stiff hoses will hold it up. so its easier to install. i had the steeda one and it was light enuff to where just the hoses were holding it up.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 PM
nem
2nd Gear Member

Yeppers, one of the better setups if you have a Whipple as well. No need for the long hoses and finding a place to mount.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Hrm how much would these help a non F.I. vehicle like mine?

Quick Reply: Brenspeed Reviews JLT Oil Separator; ITS AWESOME!