Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

winter driving / tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Torroba
1st Gear Member

Default winter driving / tires

Hi all. I got a 2010 GT a few months ago and was trying to come up with a plan for Ohio winter. I was thinking about getting some 18" rims and putting some Blizzacks on them (car currently has 19" rims with "all season" touring tires).

I had a 2000 v6 some years ago and drove it in the winter with "all-seasons" but was not really thrilled about it - most of the time no problem, but sometimes it would be a real pain.

In the past, I have found that I can get around in 99% of Ohio winter weather with a front wheel drive car (with all seasons).

Anyways, my questions are - has anyone used Blizzacks (or similar winter tires)? How do they compare to all seasons (i.e. are they worth the expense). How does it compare to getting around with a front wheel drive car (with all seasons)?

Thanks
Old 09-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

The BEST thing to do is buy a beater to get around in bad weather...leave the Mustang in the garage!! Even if you are very careful and drive well...there is ALWAYS some idiot that will run into you...
Old 09-17-2010, 08:31 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you can't get a beater, then dedicated winter tires like the Blizzacks plus some weight in the trunk is the way to go.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM
goose5
1st Gear Member

Winter tires are 100X better in the snow than all seasons. Get something studdable if you can. I run studded snow tires on my jeep cherokee beater in the winter.... but like lifter says i leave my mustang parked. Long story short if i were to drive my mustang on the road in the winter i'd get studded snow tires... like a nokian hakkapellita.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:31 AM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

"has anyone used Blizzacks (or similar winter tires)?"
-Yes, I use Dunlop Wintersports (Tire Rack) with 18" OEM rims I got on ebay.

"How do they compare to all seasons (i.e. are they worth the expense)."
-They are a little noisier and softer and you may notice a slight difference in dry handling, but are they worth it: Yes, a thousand times yes!

"How does it compare to getting around with a front wheel drive car (with all seasons)?"
- My previous car was an Acura RSX-S. I drive in New England. The all-season Michelins that were OEM were OK, but again I bought Acura rims on ebay and used the Dunlops in the winter and noticed a BIG improvement. So much so that I now do the same with my wife's Mazda 3. If you mean how does a "winterized" Mustang compare to a FWD with all-seasons, I would give a slight nod to FWD only because you have to constantly keep the hp under check when driving the Stang.

BTW, as Nuke pointed out, 150-200lbs in the Mustangs trunk along with winter rubber, will give you and your Mustang the best chance in snow.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:49 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

There is a winter tire made by Firestone that I had my son back in PA put on his Camry. They're a lot cheaper than the Blizzacks and he was highly impressed with them this past, high snowfall winter outside the Philly area. Just a thought fwiw...
Old 09-24-2010, 09:23 AM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
There is a winter tire made by Firestone that I had my son back in PA put on his Camry. They're a lot cheaper than the Blizzacks and he was highly impressed with them this past, high snowfall winter outside the Philly area. Just a thought fwiw...
Firestone.com says there are no tires (winter or otherwise) that fit the 08 GT stang
Old 09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTjoe49
"has anyone used Blizzacks (or similar winter tires)?"
-Yes, I use Dunlop Wintersports (Tire Rack) with 18" OEM rims I got on ebay.

"How do they compare to all seasons (i.e. are they worth the expense)."
-They are a little noisier and softer and you may notice a slight difference in dry handling, but are they worth it: Yes, a thousand times yes!

"How does it compare to getting around with a front wheel drive car (with all seasons)?"
- My previous car was an Acura RSX-S. I drive in New England. The all-season Michelins that were OEM were OK, but again I bought Acura rims on ebay and used the Dunlops in the winter and noticed a BIG improvement. So much so that I now do the same with my wife's Mazda 3. If you mean how does a "winterized" Mustang compare to a FWD with all-seasons, I would give a slight nod to FWD only because you have to constantly keep the hp under check when driving the Stang.

BTW, as Nuke pointed out, 150-200lbs in the Mustangs trunk along with winter rubber, will give you and your Mustang the best chance in snow.

I also have WinterSports on my '06 GT 'vert w/18" Fanblade rims. I haven't had any problems. You just have to use your head.

My wife's Miata has run Blizzaks in the winter for many years. Absolutely great on that little car.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

I use Yokohama Ice Guard on all 4. These are a dedicated snow/ice tire with an aggressive tread. Worked well for me.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:09 AM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

If you can get Nokian WR tires I would give them a try. I have had them on two vehicles, Honda Civic and Dodge Durango. They work very well. I have reccommended them to many friends nad they eare not dissapointed. They are a fantastic "All-Year" tire. They even have the winter snowflake on them signifying they are a Winter "Class" tire.

P.S. We have some pretty crappy weather here in Alberta in the wintertime. Icy roads, drifting snow etc. FWIW

Quick Reply: winter driving / tires