Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Transmission Issues... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 08:27 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

may be off the wall... i had a car that would not go into gear. Pilot bearing was seized. Just another to look at which i am sure they have been replacing.... I do not think lemon law goes into play here considering only one issue within 18K miles... Good luck
Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyboxrv
Having a clutch that doesn't release correctly will make it hard to get into gear, placing more strain on the synchros, leading them to fail. Replacing the transmission when the problem is the clutch will result in another transmission problem. Bad transmission parts will very likely not cause a clutch to no longer disengage.

The clutch can cause the transmission problem. The transmission won't cause the clutch problems. Scattering a lot of metal through the transmission will cause future transmission problems. Fix what is causing the clutch first.
I understand that. However, the entire clutch assembly has been replaced twice. If they replaced the entire transmission, from the gear box, to the clutch, master and slave cylinders, throw out bearing, pressure plate... and basically start the car over.

Second I thought it would qualify as a lemon law since it the first problem happened inside of 18,000.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:09 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

I have an 07 GT and I have had some transmission issues myself. I have had a slave cylinder go out, and also about 2 months ago I had some kind of bearing issue where the clutch or something would not fully disengage when in neutral and it made a ticking noise...but it worked and shifted fine. My dealership basically did a "cost cap" and replaced the whole transmission rather than tearing it open or throwing parts at it under warranty. So I would think your dealership after all that has happened to you....has to be nearing that point of replacing the whole transmission.

Mine also told me I could drive the car (since it drove fine, just ticking noise) until the new transmission came in, and 5 minutes later called back and said they would give me a rental car for the week.So my advice to you is find a dealership that is going to do it RIGHT and earn your business. Some dealerships are very poorly run and some are great, find the best near you.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

My dealership is giving me a rental car. Problem is my car isn't drivable...
Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
09streetracer

I don't know how Maryland lemon law works but in WV if they are giving you a rental car each time you are in for a repair then you can not file lemon law. This is how it worked the vehicle has to be out of service by reason of repair for a cumulative total of thirty or more calendar days during the term or during the one-year period, whichever is the earlier date. Because I got a rental I was not without a vehicle. I ran into this problem with my 06 f150 4x4 never worked properly and finally just traded it for a 2010.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Well they are replacing the pressure plate and the slave cylinder again. I actually called Ford corporate head quarters this morning in order to try to get more answers. I started with the bottom person and now I have moved to the next. I know I am not just protected by Maryland Lemon Law but also Federal laws. I really think if they would just replace the entire transmission it would be fixed, but they aren't. They are saying the problem has to do with the things that engage the transmission and link it to you and not the actual transmission. But O well... I am going through the process. Don't know what else to do at this point.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:40 PM
toyboxrv

Not trying to insult, but you don't seem to understand mechanical things that well. If the clutch gradually gets to the point of not functioning correctly, then it's important to find why it has this recurring problem. I'd bet the transmission isn't causing the clutch failure, although the defective clutch could create a problem with the transmission. Better to find the underlying reason for the clutch issues before replacing the transmission.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:19 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by toyboxrv
Not trying to insult, but you don't seem to understand mechanical things that well. If the clutch gradually gets to the point of not functioning correctly, then it's important to find why it has this recurring problem. I'd bet the transmission isn't causing the clutch failure, although the defective clutch could create a problem with the transmission. Better to find the underlying reason for the clutch issues before replacing the transmission.
You are right, I am not a gear head. I am a finance guy. Here is my understanding of what they have replaced without pulling out the statements.

The first time in they replaced the clutch, slave and master cylinder, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and coupe of smaller things.
The second time they replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, and pressure plate.
This time (the third time) they are replacing the slave cylinder and pressure plate.

But I have asked the question over and over why this continues to fail and the dealership just doesn't understand why the slave cylinder and pressure plate continue to fail. But the one thing I do know, most likely if you do an entire transmission transplant and start all over then my problems will go away. They have dropped the transmission in a 2010 Mustang three times since March of this year, yes you would be annoyed too. Especially when the phone call you get is "We are not exactly sure what is going wrong with your car and why these parts keep going wrong, but we are just going to replace them again and send them back to Ford for processing and inspection.". And to make it even more confusing, it has nothing to do with my driving, the clutch is in perfect shape, no clutch dust at all.

But after these repairs the clutch pedal continues to lose pressure and the clutch engagement point moves from the top to the floor over the course of 5000 miles. My dealership and service advisor have been great and have really kept me in the loop along the way, but the dealership and I are both baffled why this is a recurring problem.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lax07
You are right, I am not a gear head. I am a finance guy. Here is my understanding of what they have replaced without pulling out the statements.

The first time in they replaced the clutch, slave and master cylinder, throw out bearing, pressure plate, and coupe of smaller things.
The second time they replaced the clutch, slave cylinder, and pressure plate.
This time (the third time) they are replacing the slave cylinder and pressure plate.

But I have asked the question over and over why this continues to fail and the dealership just doesn't understand why the slave cylinder and pressure plate continue to fail. But the one thing I do know, most likely if you do an entire transmission transplant and start all over then my problems will go away. They have dropped the transmission in a 2010 Mustang three times since March of this year, yes you would be annoyed too. Especially when the phone call you get is "We are not exactly sure what is going wrong with your car and why these parts keep going wrong, but we are just going to replace them again and send them back to Ford for processing and inspection.". And to make it even more confusing, it has nothing to do with my driving, the clutch is in perfect shape, no clutch dust at all.

But after these repairs the clutch pedal continues to lose pressure and the clutch engagement point moves from the top to the floor over the course of 5000 miles. My dealership and service advisor have been great and have really kept me in the loop along the way, but the dealership and I are both baffled why this is a recurring problem.
Why don't they just replace the entire freaking thing and be done with it? Obviously they can't fix it.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM
toyboxrv

One benefit of internet forums is to learn from others who have come across the same or similar issues. From the limited amount of information it is hard to determine a cause, but it looks like blaming the transmission should be last on the list. Changing the clutch and having the transmission work again would be a good indicator that the transmission is fine.

So far the dealer has replaced parts that have failed without completely understanding what caused the failure. Doesn't obviously mean they can't fix it, just the root cause is not apparent enough. By changing the entire freaking thing would you mean the whole car, because that would fix it, but not determine the cause.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues... need advice