Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Transmission Issues... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM
crescent_wrench
2nd Gear Member

This person is paying good money to Ford for their product, which isn't working right, and is under warranty. Not right. Easy for an outsider to dismiss.....but a real nightmare and inconvenience for the owner.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:02 AM
toyboxrv

How did I dismiss the problem? You've dismissed the problem by just throwing parts at it in a futile attempt at a resolution.

There are only so many parts between the pedal and the pressure plate and changing a transmission because you don't have a clue is not going to result in the problem changing or the nightmare going away.

What is needed is a close examination of the mechanical parts by someone knowledgeable on their operation, not some armchair mechanic. Changing a transmission and having the same clutch problem 5k miles down the road is an even bigger inconvenience.

Contribute something of value to the situation.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Here is my point of view... Yes it is very frustrating considering this is my first new car I have purchased. Something to do with the transmission is not working right... So why not replace the entire thing after multiple repairs? If you can't figure out the root, if you replace the entire transmission and transfer case and the other parts that link the transmission to the driver shouldn't that fix it? Then send the rest of the parts to Ford, they can look them over with their engineers in Dearborn and figure out what went wrong with the production of my car. So they can make sure this problem doesn't come up again and other customers don't have to go through what I have.

Buts its fine. I have spoken with Ford, and will keep that conversation private. But I am very comfortable with owning this product. And I know what to do if this problem occurs again. Ford is a fantastic company and I am happy they are standing by their products. My dealership and service advisor have been great and I will stand by them.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:25 AM
toyboxrv

The only thing more frustrating than a recurring problem is a dealer that doesn't care if it gets fixed. Fortunately it sounds as if they want to resolve the problem, so it's best to work with them.

Do you think if they left the existing clutch in and replaced the transmission right now, that the transmission would shift ok? If not, then why blame the transmission? Nothing I have seen here would indicate an actual transmission problem. It doesn't shift because the pressure plate is not releasing. Can you shift into gear with the engine off? If you can it would sound as if you started the engine with the car in gear, it would take off because the clutch is not released.

Take any functioning car and push the clutch in half way or less and see if it will go into gear. I doubt you would replace the transmission then, you would just push in the clutch, which on your car isn't working. There's a reason the pressure plate goes away in your car and that is all the dealer needs to address right now. Replacing the transmission without determining the root cause is a waste of a good transmission. If there are problems with your clutch causing undue wear on the synchros, then it will result in later transmission problems. If you can shift yours fine each time a new clutch is installed, then the synchros are not likely a problem yet. It would be best to solve the clutch problem before worrying about a transmission change.

From what I can see, your transmission can shift when there is a good clutch in it. It has never locked up, it only can't shift into gear when the engine is running because of the clutch and because the blocking rings on the synchros prevent it from doing something it shouldn't.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:29 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Yea it sounds like something is simply out of adjustment in the clutch. Premature wear would occur if you drove while riding the clutch so perhaps something is not properly releasing the clutch. There also could be a problem in the clutch pedal assembly. I will echo what has been stated, your transmission is not the problem. It shouldn't cause premature wear on the clutch. Only a misalignment in the clutch can really do that.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

Ford has replaced an entire clutch kit three times now... We will wait to see if it happens again... but I have been through three clutches... This is not my first manual car and I have been very conscious after the first failure to make sure I am not riding the clutch at all
Old 12-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Big50
2nd Gear Member

There are couple things I would do here. First have them check to see if you have some sort of hydrolic leak. It sounds like a possibility based on the fact that it is fine for a while than slowly gets worse as you loose pressure and is corrected when they change the parts and refill the fluid. Second, I would call a couple of well known clutch builders and tell them your situation and pick their brains. I recommend calling Lee at Mcleod racing, they make awesome clutches. Just tell him you are interested in replacing your clutch with one of theres (even if your not) but you want to make sure it will remedy the situation and then explain what you are seeing.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 PM
2010GT_NC

Originally Posted by Lax07
Ford has replaced an entire clutch kit three times now... We will wait to see if it happens again... but I have been through three clutches... This is not my first manual car and I have been very conscious after the first failure to make sure I am not riding the clutch at all
Did you get your car fixed? Did they find the issue? I have a 2010 GT and I don't have problem with the clutch, but the transmission grinds with only 12,000 miles. Some days its perfectly fine, and other days you can hardly get it in gear. I love this car but wish I had gone with an auto now. The tremec T3650 sounds just as bad or worse than the MT82 in the 2011's.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:06 PM
2010GT_NC

Originally Posted by crescent_wrench
I took mine for what I thought was a linkage issue. The service manager calls and tells me I've got broken teeth in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. They are not going to repair it. They are replacing the entire transmission under warranty. I've been in a loaner car for a week now and the dealer has treated me very well. I really wish they would do the same for you. Hope all works out.
What were the symptoms of chipped teeth? I may have the same issue, it's difficult to shift and grinds often. My car only has 12k miles. If I need a new Tremec 3650 ever 12k miles, this car is going away.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:32 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I like the lemon law approach at this point. You were more then fair with the dealer to this point. I would consult an attorney and follow his instructions. Once an attorney get's involved you WILL notice a difference in their approach to resolving the issue. Good Luck!