Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me build my exhaust. I want DEEP old school muscle sound.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Default Help me build my exhaust. I want DEEP old school muscle sound.

I'm ready to move on from my SLP Loudmouths. They sound good for what they are, but they're definitely lacking in the muscle sounding department. They're really just loud.

I've already got some Detroit Rocker cams on the way, now I need some LT's, mid pipe, and some new axle backs.

I'd like the new setup to be deep and as loud or even just a tad bit louder that my current setup. I know I don't want the LM with LT's though. I do have neighbors and don't need extra attention from the cops.

I'm thinking all the LT probably sound the same. The difference is in the mid and axle backs. Things that come to mind are prochambers, mid mufflers, etc. Let me know what would do what.

Here's a vid from the Petit Le Mans earlier this year. The two Corvettes and the Ford GT are my inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuR-oTY9xU

Last edited by Bmr4life; 11-28-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:27 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Man your exhaust note is gonna change bigtime. Do not buy anything until your cams and LTs are installed. Then you can determine what you need to do to clean up your tone. After cam and LT install my car sounded like a John Force dragster. It was stupid loud with just a touch of the throttle.
Flowmaster American thunder mufflers got rid of the drone and m80s acting like resonators got rid of the trumpeting. Searching for the perfect exhaust tone is a freaking adventure.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:34 AM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

I like the prochamber mid pipe with a chambered muffler. It has a nice airy sound to it
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm well aware that LT's are going to make a huge difference. Thing is I have to buy a mid pipe when I but the LT's so I need to figure out that combo first. Then I'll be running my stock mufflers until I can figure out which axle backs to get.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:02 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

keep your LM's
with the LT's, and o/r x or h pipe, go with a custom midmounted muffler before the rear end, and the LM's for the axle back.
like M80's, dynomax bullets, hushpower, borla, magnapacks.
that will give you that low rumble, and resonance of the mid mounted muffler, it makes a world of difference.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:03 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

When you say custom mid muffler, do you mean having a shop weld the mufflers in the stock rear pipe?
Old 11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
When you say custom mid muffler, do you mean having a shop weld the mufflers in the stock rear pipe?
yes, a shop can weld them in easy. as long as it fits in the space before the rear end.
a small straight thru muffler will fit, but most chambered mufflers will not.
i have M80's welded in, with LT's, o/r x pipe, and MBRP deletes.
with the midmounted mufflers, it retains that low rumble even at high rpm's.
with the muffler on the end of the exhaust you always hear that screaming high pitch with high rpms, some mufflers more than others.
with a mid mounted muffler you'll have a little different sounding s197, deeper sounding.
but there are axle backs that sound good too.
just throwing out a little suggestion for ya.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

That's not a bad idea. Seems like $100 for a pair of mufflers. I could cut the stock pipes and clamp the mufflers in for testing. Have them welded in later if it works out, have the stock pipes welded back in if it doesn't and sell the mufflers. Thanks to you and 808. Seems both of you guys have M80's.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

If you are going o/r, then I would do resonators and MACs. If your are going catted then just MACs would probably work. MACs are deeper sounding than stingers, bassani or magnapacks. According to brenspeed, chambered mufflers sound better with cams. I do agree.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:46 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

FLOWS! or borlas

Quick Reply: Help me build my exhaust. I want DEEP old school muscle sound.