Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Pickup up my 5.0 last night

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:14 AM
Cyder

Default Pickup up my 5.0 last night

It finally arrived at the dealer last night and after playing phone tag between the dealer and my insurance, I was finally able to drive it home!

Now coming from a Jeep wrangler, I'm loving the unbridled power this car has. The shifting, steering, braking...everything is very smooth. Overall, I am very happy with my GT. I will have pics posted later tonight as I'm at work right now.

I do have a question about this maintenance package the dealer suckered me into. Now I can back out of it as it was an extra 1k on the bill I dont think I really need. Apparently it covers oil changes, brakes, hoses, tires, wheels..etc etc...but shouldn't the cars warranty cover all of that in the event they break any way? The oil changes I don't really mind paying for as its just like 30 bucks every 3-4 months, big deal. I think I got suckered into buying something I don't need.

Anyone 2011 GT owners familiar with what I'm talking about?

Last edited by Cyder; 11-30-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Does the maintenance package last beyond the standard warranty of the car? Generally car warranties do not cover wear items, which would include brakes, oil, tires, clutches. If the break, that is one thing, but replacing them due to general wear is usually out of pocket, even when under warranty. You did get screwed in the sense that it doesn't really sound like you have a good idea about what you bought .
Old 11-30-2010, 10:20 AM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

How long does the maintenance package do all this for??5 years?I mean the car wont need anything until it is 2-3 years old , if not longer depending on the mileage. All it will really need is oil changes/air filters/maybe fuel filters/ and tire rotations the first 1-2 years...nothing that I would see adding up to $1000+

Also oil changes will be alot more than $30...car takes like 8.5 quarts. So a Mobil oil change would cost $60 if you do it yourself.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:25 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

That kind of agreement is a great deal - for the seller. If you can get out of it, my advice would be to do that. Most states have a several day grace period for cancellations.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Cyder

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Does the maintenance package last beyond the standard warranty of the car? Generally car warranties do not cover wear items, which would include brakes, oil, tires, clutches. If the break, that is one thing, but replacing them due to general wear is usually out of pocket, even when under warranty. You did get screwed in the sense that it doesn't really sound like you have a good idea about what you bought .
I think you are right. haha What it sounds like is just a glorified free oil change program that costs me an extra 1k. I don't really mind paying for wear items as I don't plan on changing the brakes for a few years yet. I am going to the dealer tonight after work so I will have them cancel this program.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Congrats on the new car. Lets see some pics when you get a chance. Definatly cancel that program. Dealer rip off. Do the oil changes yourself.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Cyder

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Congrats on the new car. Lets see some pics when you get a chance. Definatly cancel that program. Dealer rip off. Do the oil changes yourself.
Yea I knew it too as he was talking. The only option I got that seemed like it was worth it is the security window etching incase the car gets stolen or something. I had that on my jeep and I'm sure my insurance will like that as well.

Edit: Pics will be posted tonight when I get home from work.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:19 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Grats an the new car! And yes, please do post up pics, all round if you can.

As for the maintenance deal, why did it cost $1000 more? I thought those would be cheaper. But heck, if I were you, I would milk the hell out of it. I would insist on the full synth oils, the 10K mile oil filters, etc. Not that $30 oil change crap where they just dump in 3000 mile dino oil.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:52 AM
Cyder

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Grats an the new car! And yes, please do post up pics, all round if you can.

As for the maintenance deal, why did it cost $1000 more? I thought those would be cheaper. But heck, if I were you, I would milk the hell out of it. I would insist on the full synth oils, the 10K mile oil filters, etc. Not that $30 oil change crap where they just dump in 3000 mile dino oil.
It's basically a glorified extended maintenance that I don't need. I don't plan on changing anything on the car due to wear and tear for a couple years yet. If something does break on it, thats what the original warranty if for.

But I was driving to work this morning and all of a sudden my speedo and tach get bright and all my center console lights shut off. Turning the light switch to the various settings doesnt do anything nor does it actually turn off the lights like its supposed to. This is gonna suck if I have the start to a lemon.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM
GTjoe49
2nd Gear Member

This ain't no Jeep, man.

Your Mustang decides when instrument lights go to daytime lighting or night lights.

From the owners manual (that thing in the glovebox):

Automatic instrumentation illumination:

When the headlamps or parking lamps are switched on, a light sensor in
your vehicle monitors the outside lighting conditions and automatically
sets the instrument panel illumination to one of the following modes:
• If the headlamps and parking lamps are off, the vehicle will be in
daytime illumination mode.
• If the headlamps or parking lamps are on and daylight is detected, the
vehicle will be in daytime illumination mode.
• If the headlamps or parking lamps are on and nighttime conditions are
detected, the vehicle will be in nighttime illumination mode.

Note: The panel dimmer control works only in nighttime illumination
mode. It has no effect in daytime illumination mode. Also, selectable
features such as gauge color and halo color will not be available in
daytime illumination mode.

It freaked me out the first time it happened to me too!

Enjoy your new ride.

Quick Reply: Pickup up my 5.0 last night