Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clogged cats with forced induction?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Running on 7 cylinders? Am I missing something?

There were two people on the other forum that had clogged Kooks cats resulting in a blown engine IIRC. One of them has already been named.

I haven't read of anyone with a clogged stock converter.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

The only reason I am going to put the non-catted pipe in is so I can run my 2 step at the track.

It dumps while fuel on the 2 step so my cats would be toasted in 1 or 2 launches. At close to $500 for new cats, it's worth me spending 150ish for an off road pipe
Old 12-03-2010, 11:47 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

No pics underneath yet, I am waiting for the c bombs to show up. HF cats are still under there................and I dont like it.
Old 12-03-2010, 12:48 PM
JasperGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Jim Jr at JDM told me it was a real good idea for me to cut out my HF ceramic cats as they would melt in less than 6 months with FI. I am having that done and placing some 12 inch cherry bomb mufflers to act as a resonator. My exhaust is very strange. It goes in this order.

Pypes Longtubes
H pipe
12" cherry bombs
pypes m80s
flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.

Cams, longtubes and FI equals one loud as car!!!
My car is similar except it goes ARH LTs, O/R X pipe, Pypes M80s, then Flowmaster American Thunder mufflers.

The driver's side fits up fine, but the passenger side is complete trash. Gonna be replacing the the Pypes section with the factory over axle pipes soon. Cams and O/R X with M80s makes for a very loud car. Best $300 ever spent for the Flowmasters!!!
Old 12-03-2010, 01:01 PM
seal9

Default Clogged cat

Here is something to think about, I have run two new Turbo systems with DI. First a 2008 Saturn SKY and Mazda Speed 3, both clogged the cats. On the Sky board it's happened many times. On the Mazda board the last time I was there it had 26 shot engines. so what does this have to do with the price of tea, the DI engines produce a lot of carbon and thats there big problem, and if ford put DI in the 5.0 like there saying the problems will be big. seal9
Old 12-03-2010, 06:18 PM
cfr865
3rd Gear Member

I have the Pypes HF cats but I'm also worried they will go, I don't want to replace an engine. How much louder would it be with resonators in place of the cats ?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:42 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Running on 7 cylinders? Am I missing something?

There were two people on the other forum that had clogged Kooks cats resulting in a blown engine IIRC. One of them has already been named.

I haven't read of anyone with a clogged stock converter.
You must have missed my post about the car running like **** at part throttle. Some of my accel cops were failing, but didn't set a code. Instead they caused unburnt fuel and oxygen to exist through the exhaust and the computer sees this as a lean condition and keeps adding fuel until it eventually sets a lean code. It's a viscous cycle. My long term fuel trims have been high ever since. Usually 10-12% at idle and part throttle. I'm going to pull the mid pipe in a few days and smash that **** out of there for good measure. I'll put the stock muffs back on if necessary. My only concern is it will smell like ****.

Last edited by moosestang; 12-03-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Gotta love aftermarket COPs.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:11 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Yeah I've read nothing but bad things about aftermarket COPs.

I'm glad moose got it figured out before something worse happened.
Old 12-04-2010, 02:47 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cfr865
I have the Pypes HF cats but I'm also worried they will go, I don't want to replace an engine. How much louder would it be with resonators in place of the cats ?
IMO pypes HF cats are ****. I smell the fumes bigtime with them installed. I dont expect the fumes to be any worse with them gone. As far as loudness. My car is very loud but livable right now. Thats why I am replacing the HF cats with cherry bomb glasspacks. I like a clean tone. Everytime you add a new engine mod its gonna change the tone. For me LTs made it loud. Cams even louder. FI even louder.

Quick Reply: Clogged cats with forced induction?