Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:17 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

the wife and i had a Pontiac Montana van a few years back took it to walmart for an oil change. the douches forgot to put in 3 quarts of oil. I don;t ask for what they have on tap because i want to see them put in the bottles. I saw 5q and somehow they ended up putting in 2q. Needless to say after we didn't drive the car for a few weeks while on vacation and then the motor started acting crazy they wouldn't do anything about it. surprisingly other than drinking a quart of oil every few weeks after that the car ran fine, until we traded it in at the local Nissan dealer and the motor blew up on them in the parking lot putting it on a wholesalers trailer. muhahahahaha stuck it to the man.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:13 AM
tekzilla41
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mikemc04gt
Ouch, I've always been scared of doing that, I guess my OCD can be a good thing. :^) I actually talk to myself before I start the car going through a checklist. Sorry that happened to you.
Yup that is what I do as well. Has not failed me yet.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:17 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Yea, can you imagine a pilot that didnt do the checklist before flying...
Old 12-18-2010, 01:21 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
we traded it in at the local Nissan dealer and the motor blew up on them in the parking lot putting it on a wholesalers trailer. muhahahahaha stuck it to the man.
Stuck it to the man..... The best!!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:15 PM
JT1652
1st Gear Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ShaneM
the wife and i had a Pontiac Montana van a few years back took it to walmart for an oil change. the douches forgot to put in 3 quarts of oil. I don;t ask for what they have on tap because i want to see them put in the bottles. I saw 5q and somehow they ended up putting in 2q. Needless to say after we didn't drive the car for a few weeks while on vacation and then the motor started acting crazy they wouldn't do anything about it. surprisingly other than drinking a quart of oil every few weeks after that the car ran fine, until we traded it in at the local Nissan dealer and the motor blew up on them in the parking lot putting it on a wholesalers trailer. muhahahahaha stuck it to the man.
This story put a smile on my face!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

As it did mine!

Speaking of owners not checking their own oil levels, why did that dealer who bought the car for a trade-in not check the oil and other stuff? Wow! All of a sudden, I have trepidations of going to a used car dealer! They gouge the hell out of you on used car prices anyway, you pay thousands more for the used car than it will ever be worth!
Old 01-12-2011, 11:22 PM
mjscott2

Default Update on swap

So I did some more research. There's no way that my 2.6L Kenne Bell blower will work with a 5.4L, so I decided to swap in the $1,900 23k mile junker. It required swapping the oil pan, timing cover and valve covers as the donor car was in a rollover.

I pulled the old motor and swapped most of the parts before Christmas. The engine was definitely toast. There were plenty of pretty, shiny silver flakes in the oil pan, and the oil pickup was almost clogged with confetti. Amazing, the aluminum bearing surfaces work perfectly under normal conditions, but are shredded within a minute of operating with no oil. At least this confirmed to me that I really needed to do the swap.

A ski trip put progress on hold until New Year's when I dropped the replacement mill in. An unexpected business trip delayed final assembly until last weekend. Finally, it was done! On Monday night, I rechecked torque on the fasteners, put on the serpentine belt and filled it with fluids.

First, I pulled the crank sensor and ran it for less than a minute to distribute oil through the engine without loading any of the components. I had to turn it over a few times, but then it started right up!

Now for the fun. After idling for a few seconds, I hear a 'pop'. Immediately shut off the engine. There's oil everywhere!

Get under the car and see that the oil filter seal has popped out. I've done scores of oil changes and never had that happen. I'm thinking, "crap, what did I do wrong?". I suspect that something's not right in the engine, but perhaps I screwed up and didn't tighten the filter enough.

After cleaning up 5 quarts of oil off the floor, I reseat the filter and refill with fresh oil. Same thing happens (but only 2 quarts of oil this time because I shut it off quicker).

Anybody have any idea what might have happened?
- I didn't mess with the engine internals
- I can't imagine how bolting on a timing cover, valve covers and oil pan could cause this
- If a ring was shot and blowing high pressure past a piston, wouldn't the PCV valve (and poor seal between the cam sensor and valve cover) release such high pressure?
- Is it possible that there's a blockage downstream of the oil filter?

Anybody had anything similar happen?
Old 01-13-2011, 09:55 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i don't know what's happening, but to answer the question about a blockage you
could pump oil into the oil pressure sensor port and see if it weeps out at the
cams. not sure what else you could try. good luck and i hope it's nothing too
serious.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:04 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Have you verified the PCV is working and isn't just sealed shut somehow?

I'd hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge and see what the pressure is actually at. The stock gauge isn't a good measure of where the pressure is really at.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
bloodybobber

I assume you tried a new oil filter and checked the filter mount pad for damage or debris?

Quick Reply: OK, I'm a moron. Now what? Ran with no oil