Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Couple of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 PM
1badmax

Default Couple of questions!

Ok, I've looked and looked but I can't find anything. I am planning on getting an exhaust sometime soon. Is a cat-back worth the money over an axle-back exhaust? From talking to American Muscle they so no because the hp you gain is very minimal. I definitely trust their advise, but I want some input from the resident experts here.

Also, another question I have is dealing with tunes. I've narrowed it down to Steeda CAI/Tune or Steeda CAI/Bama Tune. Which is better or more reliable for daily drive-ability and longevity of my motor?
1badmax is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 12-12-2010, 07:02 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Go to youtube.com and watch some vids to determine what sound you like. Forget any HP increases with a muffler change. Unless your putting on headers your not adding any power.

I know nothing of the steeda tune, Bama, brenspeed, JDM and BBR all have good tunes for CAI's. Steeda is a good CAI as it can be used with a roush m90 when your ready for more power! LOL

I got a great price on flowmaster american thunders axlebacks from amazon.com. Check them out for exhaust options. Forget catbacks, mustangs mufflers are in the rear and there is no advantage to change the over axle pipe. Save the money, buy and axle back.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:23 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I liked stainless steel works exhaust....check it out on you tube......Corsa would be my 2nd choice.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I'd go with the Steeda CAI and the Bama tune. They are miles ahead of the canned Steeda tunes that come with the programmer.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

^ What he said.

If you have absolutely any questions in the mean time, you can feel free to give a Bama Custom Tuner a call. They're there Monday-Friday 9AM-5:30PM EST. They can tell you the differences between our files and the other ones that are out there and answer any other technical questions that you may have!

Good luck...
Old 12-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Brenspeed or AM (Bama) tunes. I'd lean towards AM if I had an auto. Longevity? Not an issue. You'll destroy something if you drive like a retard, stock or not.

Any exhaust work past the H-pipe is for tone only; no performance gains to be had. With that in mind, save your money and buy whatever axleback suits you over a catback.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:19 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

The Roush axle-backs are cheap ($380) and very loud if that's what you are looking for. Nice and quiet at 2000 rpm in 6th (110k or 68-70 mph). Othertimes, hide your women and children. Seems the new cars have good insulation as there is quite a difference with windows up or down. Has to be really cold now for windows up.

I have no experence with after-market tunes except with the Steeda which I felt happy with on my '06. IMHO, I think the Steeda may be a little safer tune with not quite as much power, but at least within spitting distance of the other tunes. The big advantage is the improved throttle response and feeling in any case and not increased power. I'm a bit of an old fogey though. LOL.

Cheers.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:10 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Longevity? Not an issue. You'll destroy something if you drive like a retard, stock or not.
OMG

Can I sig this?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:24 AM
1badmax

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
OMG

Can I sig this?
LOL...Thanks for all the help. I decided to order the Airaid intake w/Bama tune combo and the Flowmaster Hushpower axle-back. Now, I will admit that I keep thinking of changing to the Flowmaster American Thunder rear-axle because I fear the Hushpower may be too quite. Anybody heard them in person?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Hushpowers are a little quiet. That's what long tube headers are for! You'll love the hushpowers. They'll get a little louder the more you mod. Off-road x-pipe or some long-tubes and they'll sound AWESOME!

Quick Reply: Couple of questions!