Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What should be done first?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Default What should be done first?

Its been probably asked before, but I didn't see it in the search...

I have a 2010 Mustang GT, and to start I only have enough money to do a blower first, or go forged.

The blower Im looking at getting is the Roush TVS or Whipple.

Im not looking for 700hp off the bat, I would be happy with something conservative within the stock internals till I could upgrade them. I dont want to buy a blower twice, so buying something like the M90 and upgrading later isn't something I want to do.

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2010, 10:07 AM
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

I'm in exactly the same boat. The thing is, how much power do you want? That will determine where you go with your money. If your goal is between 450 and 500hp I would get the blower now but if you plan on 500 to 700+hp then forged is a must. That is why I am considering the Saleen supercharger; the available upgrades without buying an entirely new blower are very appealing.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

IMO, get the blower first as you can have it tuned appropriately for the stock internals and get to have some fun with the car until you take it to the next level... then forging is a must!

I started small with my E-force, but have plenty of growth as needed for down the road. You can't go wrong with either the Whipple or Roush TVS.

Where you are at in WI??
Old 12-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Thats the thing, I say this now, I would be happy with 475-500hp. But saying that If I dont have a bullet proof tune I am on borrowed time with the weak internals? At least from what I have read. VMP has some good pkg's on where I want to be. But will be useless if the engine lets go before I can forge.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
IMO, get the blower first as you can have it tuned appropriately for the stock internals and get to have some fun with the car until you take it to the next level... then forging is a must!

I started small with my E-force, but have plenty of growth as needed for down the road. You can't go wrong with either the Whipple or Roush TVS.

Where you are at in WI??
Im in Hartford, Wi.
5spdftw
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
Thats the thing, I say this now, I would be happy with 475-500hp. But saying that If I dont have a bullet proof tune I am on borrowed time with the weak internals? At least from what I have read. VMP has some good pkg's on where I want to be. But will be useless if the engine lets go before I can forge.
Exactly. That's why I was suggesting an upgradeable blower so that you can keep it within the stock limitations and then when you have the money to forge, go ahead and decrease pulley size, etc.
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

If you go Whipple, then you are more than safe with the canned tune as there are a ton of folks running those blowers with stock internals. I am pushing 2 years on my E-force, but ditched the canned tune immediately and had it dynoed.

Last edited by Doogie65; 12-20-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lv XLR8N
Im in Hartford, Wi.
We are practically neighbors as I am just east of Lake Geneva (work in Waukesha). Do you ever make it down to Gus's in East Troy in the summer? A great place to hang out on Sat. nights with tons of cool cars.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Lv XLR8N
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
We are practically neighbors as I am just east of Lake Geneva (work in Waukesha). Do you ever make it down to Gus's in East Troy in the summer? A great place to hang out on Sat. nights with tons of cool cars.
Never made it to Gus's, I have heard of it.

I did the Mustang Stampede at the Eaa this year. Was a good time. Stopped at a couple of shows at Ford dealers this past summer but that has been it.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I heard the EAA thing was pretty cool as one of my employee's volunteers out there every year. Maybe our paths will cross next year as I want to hit a few more shows as well.

Good luck with your build decision as there is nothing more exciting than driving a blown 'Stang!