Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Yes or No
yes
75.00%
no
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

would you?(m90 related)

Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

I've had mine on the car for a little over a year now and about 7000 miles with absolutely no issues whatsoever. I installed the 2.57 pulley and got a custom tune from a local tuner about 6 months ago, installed a BAP and one heat range colder plug (had a littlie pinging at tip-in) as well as a precaution even though the FPDC was only at 87%.

Although it may have happened, I've never heard of anyone turning their engine into a paper weight with the M90.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

M90 is about as safe as blowers come. Roush tune is spot on. Your real concern should be, is this used blower all used up or what. How many miles on it? Are you getting the entire kit with it? I kinda like the idea of a brand new kit myself. I have had mine for only a couple of months and love it. Best decision I ever made with this car.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Its a conservative blower, your odds are pretty good of not having problems. That said, nothings 100% guaranteed, that kit like any other can be subject to to a part failure that would cause a big problem. I would be very reluctant personally to buy a used kit however...
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd never buy a used supercharger kit.

Sorry I just wouldnt.
You have no idea how it was treated.

As far as percentage chance on blowing a motor?
That is IMPOSSIBLE to make a percentage guess.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is not thinking.
But if you are wanting a blower the M90 is about the "safest" blower
out there for our cars.

Will you blow your motor? Who knows?
No one. A percentage chance like I said is impossible to give.
It depends on if you stick with the stock tune ROUSH gives you and there are
no probs with the tune, it depends on if you ever switch up the car more such as a more aggresive pulley, it depends on HOW you drive the car, it depends on how well you maintain the car, it depends on a hundred variables.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

I personally would not buy a used blower. But it does sound like a good deal
Old 12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

And even though I said you can't have a percentage guess on your motor blowing... your "percentage" chance would go up considerably if there were such thing...
with you buying a USED supercharger.

That much I can and anyone can tell you is fact.
Just because of the fact that it could have been treated any way and
the seller could be selling it for a reason not disclosed to you.

I sure as hell would not put my motor at such a risk just for a good price.
I'd invest in a new blower I knew was not abused and spend some more cash with peace of mind instead
of wondering forever if COULD have put some P.O.S. abused part on my car that may
end up costing me my motor just because I wanted to save a fast buck.

A new engine would cost you a hell of a lot more than spending some extra money
on a new blower v.s. a used one.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-22-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:13 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

I know a little about the guy that was using the blower before me......... but not that much, I will call the salesman tommorrow and get more info and let yall know. I hfave thought about the fact that its used.......
I also thought I could just buy it (if there is no warrenty) and keep it in the basement boxxed up till the car is piad for or the warrenty is up. My bro is a certified mechanic and he can put it on for beers.
At least I got some time to think about it. Thanks guys for all the opinions and if anyone else wants to chime in feal free. I'm trying to convince the wife as well as myself LOL.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:34 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

if you want a warranty keep with the new kit. I wouldn't bother buying the kit personally at 2700 if i was just going to sit it in the basement. Seems a waste when you could use that loot for other mods you can enjoy now. I put my m90 on at bout 1400 miles or so IIRC and its got nearly 11,000 on it now. i drive the shat out of the car every chance i get and the only issue i have had with the car turned out to be totally unrelated to the blower. The 10 car is new, but the 4.6 and tranny are straight out of the older stangs so the stock motors will last assuming good maintenance and you didn't get a friday 4pm build.

the way i look at it is that the car has a full warranty, if the motor blows it's covered for now. that said, i am starting at the vmp page right now thinking about killing that warranty off. The car has tons of power and i really don;t need more, but i didn't need a lot of the things i did to my car either.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 PM
RAT281
2nd Gear Member

What is this thing you call a warranty? haha
Old 12-22-2010, 07:52 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RAT281
What is this thing you call a warranty? haha
I had one of those for a couple weeks back in '06. Apparantly, if you break stuff, the dealer fixes it! Never got a chance to use it though...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: would you?(m90 related)