Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Yes or No
yes
75.00%
no
25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

would you?(m90 related)

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 PM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Default would you?(m90 related)

So Ive spent the last few days reading and searching through the forum and really just cant decide if I should get an m90.
So some questions for ya.
What are the odds of blowing the motor? Give me a % LOL.
Those of you with one how many miles on it?
I'm very interested in how many miles people have put on the COMPLETELY stock motor without any major issues. Although completely stock on this forum might be a strech! I realize that the kits for the 09-05 are slightly different but for the sake of argument say they are the same. I figure I'll put about 5-7k miles on the car a year and just really dont want too have to get into the motor before I'm done paying for it (4 more years).

See, my local steeler called and another guy who bought a ten is taking off his m90 and getting a whipple HO, so I can get his for 2700 Canadian bucks. Probably not with install and I'm assuming that I will get at least the remainder of his warrenty? Gotta call him and find out but, would you?
Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I have one and love it, 435 bhp is enough for me right now, I've beat some new Camaro's, and SRT8's on the road very handedly. The stock tune is 5-6psi so it is very conservative to say the least but it's still pretty fast and it will not blow your motor I promise you, it's a drive it easy tune you can still get on it when ever you want but if your looking for 500whp go with a Whipple but with the stock block I love my M90. I had mine installed at 20k and now have 26k and never had a problem.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 12-22-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 AM
gabb
1st Gear Member

I've ordered it and for me the price was the clincher. I wanted a little more power for my DD and the Supercharger whine. I don't AutoX or race, and breaking the speed limit (30kmph over the limit) here will get have your car impounded for a week.

So for me I think I'll be happy with this. I already have to much invested into the car for it to be worthwhile trading up to the 5.0. If hadn't already modded the car I would definitely be considering the 5.0.

But the M90 is a safe supercharger as long as the tune is good. I won't overload the stock system (fuel delivery & internals). I hope this helps. $2700 is a pretty good deal.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:34 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

$2,700 is a steal.

Get it!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by def67
What are the odds of blowing the motor? Give me a % LOL.
Those of you with one how many miles on it?
I'm very interested in how many miles people have put on the COMPLETELY stock motor without any major issues. Although completely stock on this forum might be a strech! I realize that the kits for the 09-05 are slightly different but for the sake of argument say they are the same. I figure I'll put about 5-7k miles on the car a year and just really dont want too have to get into the motor before I'm done paying for it (4 more years).

See, my local steeler called and another guy who bought a ten is taking off his m90 and getting a whipple HO, so I can get his for 2700 Canadian bucks. Probably not with install and I'm assuming that I will get at least the remainder of his warrenty? Gotta call him and find out but, would you?
Odds of blowing motor: Extremely low. The M90 is pretty conservative with the supplied tune.

How many miles: I don't have an M90, but I have several thousand miles on a Whipple HO with stock internals and 12psi. If my motor is still alive, then surely any 4.6 can survive an M90.

I voted no for two reasons.
1: I would never buy used forced induction. I don't know how it was treated by the first owner.
2: The M90 warranty is NON-TRANSFERABLE. If you remove it from his car and install it on yours, no more warranty.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:06 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

So u want a percentage.... high unlikely u will get that. Look at it this way people who blow there motors due to a supercharger is generally b/c of a bad tune or whatever the case maybe. Poor driving habits whatever. The reason why u might see more than u want to on a forum is b/c nobody jumps on a forum to say i just drove my supercharged mustang today and it did not blow up. But once it does take a **** then its posted that day b/c their searching for answers and advice on what to do. I was once leary but when u look at it from that perspective then the numbers of mustangs that havent blown compared to the ones that have its easy. There are alot of people here with supercharged mustangs and have not blown there motor. I have a few friends that have not blown theres either.

If u plan on tracking the car then i would suggest calling brenspeend or another comparable performance shop on what u can and cannot do with a supercharged engine. There are things u shouldnt do such as racing and engaging the car into overdrive from drive.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

What will surely blow it up is a bad tune. You need a good AFR gauge to monitor what your air fuel ratio is, especially at high rpm high demand levels. If you tromp on that pedal and your not at least 11.8 AFR or you run into a low fuel pressure scenario on the stock pump get ready for a possible boom. With my mods I've already installed a BAP.

I'm installing my M90 right now. Getting my tune from BBR. They are an authorized Roush installer and have tuned a ton of these setups. The key is, don't go on the cheap. I spent over 800 bucks on quality gauges and SOS tripple pillar. Twin AeroForce gauges, a wideband kit for them and a Cobalt boost gauge.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Nontransferable? Like I said no warrenty and it wont happen so I will see what he says. But that would be a deal breaker.

Timmbo. What is a BAP?
Old 12-22-2010, 07:55 AM
timmbo
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by def67
Nontransferable? Like I said no warrenty and it wont happen so I will see what he says. But that would be a deal breaker.

Timmbo. What is a BAP?
Boost A Pump by Kenne Bell. Its a unit that increases the fuel flow of your stock pump for F/I applications.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:00 AM
def67
2nd Gear Member

Thanks?^^^^
That was fast eh!

Quick Reply: would you?(m90 related)