Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

so my clutch is dying, looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:13 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by svtsupremecy
Just make sure you do either the RIGHT way and get the slave replaced and resurface the flywheel or match it up to a new flywheel.
Replace the slave cylinder at the same time? Is that a common problem? I always either resurface or replace the flywheel when I replace the clutch, gotta do that.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I get the rattle when I lug the motor and give it a little peddle around the 1700 rpm range.

I daily drvive this thing though. I always run DRs on the street and go the track atleast 1 time a month from March thru Sept. Sactown DDs his also, probably a few less passes though.

I had a new staging official put me back into the water box (even though my tires didn't get in the water), I ended up doing the burnout and smoke poored out of the engine bay from smoking the clutch. Long story short, clutch was just fine and the new official got his *** chewed by me and a few other racers for not putting me in the water.

Moral of the story, this clutch lasts!
So in gear at 1700 rpms it rattles or in neutral at 1700 rpms it rattles?

Good to hear that it's a resilient clutch, I think I'm leaning towards it. I'll be running 305 DR's all day every day shortly. I know that's going to kill what's left of my stock clutch when I make the switch.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Yes it is ALWAYS a good idea to replace the slave cylinder as well.
Lots of times dealerships or shops will say it is not needed but do not listen to them.

The aftermarket clutches make this needed regardless of what any shop or dealer tells you. If they say something like that just tell them you WANT it done.
This will cause you the pain of having to drop the tranny again in the near future to replace it.
If you don't do it when you install the clutch you WILL come back here later saying you wish you had.

Most aftermarket clutches will finish up the job of the old slave's life for you REALLY fast. They have more of a bite to them.
Don't buy an aftermarket slave though. They are crap.
Just replace the stock one.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

Well I do everything myself, never been to a dealership for service in my life ha ha. My car only has 16,000 miles but I'll just grab a new OEM slave cylinder when I replace the clutch, peace of mind if anything.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
svtsupremecy
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Yes it is ALWAYS a good idea to replace the slave cylinder as well.
Lots of times dealerships or shops will say it is not needed but do not listen to them.

The aftermarket clutches make this needed regardless of what any shop or dealer tells you. If they say something like that just tell them you WANT it done.
This will cause you the pain of having to drop the tranny again in the near future to replace it.
If you don't do it when you install the clutch you WILL come back here later saying you wish you had.

Most aftermarket clutches will finish up the job of the old slave's life for you REALLY fast. They have more of a bite to them.
Don't buy an aftermarket slave though. They are crap.
Just replace the stock one.

^ like Black smoke said...

Originally Posted by candymanjl
Well I do everything myself, never been to a dealership for service in my life ha ha. My car only has 16,000 miles but I'll just grab a new OEM slave cylinder when I replace the clutch, peace of mind if anything.
FYI ...IF you go with the Exedy Mach 400 or 500 , it will come with a Slave cylinder. I got mine from BBR and I am pretty happy. Im not sure if the Mcleod comes with a Slave, someone will hopefully chime in.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

McLoed's Dual disc! FTW!
Old 01-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
McLoed's Dual disc! FTW!
It's also made for use with the stock slave.

I still have the stock slave. I'm a little surprised it's lasted this long. My tranny too!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I still have the stock slave. I'm a little surprised it's lasted this long. My tranny too!
I'm surprised every time I get into the boost that my slave, tranny, pistons and rods are all still going strong, lol.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

That's good to hear since you're faster than I am, ha ha.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I'm surprised every time I get into the boost that my slave, tranny, pistons and rods are all still going strong, lol.
I'm not concerned about the short block. I feel like I am lucky it's lived this long anyways. Maybe it will last another season?

Originally Posted by candymanjl
That's good to hear since you're faster than I am, ha ha.
I drive aggressive but not fast, slightly faster than the limit. I go to work and most days never go into boost. I'm not easy on my car, but I'm no 16 year old driving like an idiot either. That maybe one of the reasons it's lasted this long.

Quick Reply: so my clutch is dying, looking for recommendations