Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

5.0 or C6 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 08:20 PM
Lil_Chef
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
One of the big reasons why I chose ford over chevy is because ford went dohc. Dohc allows you to get considerably more power out of a given displacement
So ford is able to cut displacement down to only 5 liters and still keep up with the 6.2L pushrods
but Ford's engines are considerably larger and heavier, and fuel efficiency ratings are equalish.... but thats another argument for another place.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Both motors are great I'll give Ford the "technology edge" and the chevy the term "bulletproof".
Old 01-16-2011, 08:54 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Unless you have kids to take around, the 'Vette is the more desirable choice... Prettier, lighter, arguably faster and better handling, and much more aerodynamic. Once the need for back seats and a real trunk comes into the equation, the Mustang looks more desirable. They're both nice cars, and I really like the new Mustang Coyote engines... But prefer the Corvette looks and chassis. As good as the new GM pushrod engines are, I'd rather have something accepted as being more modern and exotic in a Corvette... Like a nice Ford aluminum twin-cam. One of each is the best of both worlds, until you start thinking Cadillac V series..
Old 01-16-2011, 09:04 PM
black2010
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HBOMB44
Honestly after racing an 03 vette with work done to it and seeing how close they are I'd take my stang. I am probably being biased but the stang is just more comfy and the sync and shaker 1000 are amazing for factory equipment.
An 03 (C5) is not close to the 2010/11 C6's. Just a FYI...

Back on topic. It's really an apples to oranges comparison. Both cars have great potential but the vette will be much better on a road course than the stang where the stang has better potential on the drag strip. The vettes weak link is the trans axle where just a little bit of wheel hop and you go boom (just ask my buddy, wasn't pretty) but the advantage with that same weak link is better weight distibution and allows for an indipendent suspension. Those two pieces combined make for a killer track car. The vette does have an advantage in MPG but the stang has more usable space.

Both cars start with about the same HP (I believe the vette starts with more TQ though) and both respond great to mods. The biggest advantage to the mustang is you don't get the "vette" tax which automatically makes every part you buy twice what it should be (just my oppinion).

In my area a new 5.0 and a new C6 are within a couple grand of each other so price isn't as much of a desciding factor as it used to be when their was $15Kish difference.

I currently own two stangs (02 and 2010) and a vette (restored and modded 85) and wouldn't part with any.

If you're not a Ford only person or Chevy only person then you just have to decided on what means the most to you.

Thank GOD the car wars are back on. I love seeing the mustang, camaro, Vette, Challenger, Charger and GTO (RIP) fighting for bragging rights.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by black2010
An 03 (C5) is not close to the 2010/11 C6's. Just a FYI...

Back on topic. It's really an apples to oranges comparison. Both cars have great potential but the vette will be much better on a road course than the stang where the stang has better potential on the drag strip. The vettes weak link is the trans axle where just a little bit of wheel hop and you go boom (just ask my buddy, wasn't pretty) but the advantage with that same weak link is better weight distibution and allows for an indipendent suspension. Those two pieces combined make for a killer track car. The vette does have an advantage in MPG but the stang has more usable space.

Both cars start with about the same HP (I believe the vette starts with more TQ though) and both respond great to mods. The biggest advantage to the mustang is you don't get the "vette" tax which automatically makes every part you buy twice what it should be (just my oppinion).

In my area a new 5.0 and a new C6 are within a couple grand of each other so price isn't as much of a desciding factor as it used to be when their was $15Kish difference.

I currently own two stangs (02 and 2010) and a vette (restored and modded 85) and wouldn't part with any.

If you're not a Ford only person or Chevy only person then you just have to decided on what means the most to you.

Thank GOD the car wars are back on. I love seeing the mustang, camaro, Vette, Challenger, Charger and GTO (RIP) fighting for bragging rights.
Great response!!
Old 01-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Kixsters
2nd Gear Member

I had the option to buy either one ... and I chose the 5.0
Old 01-17-2011, 02:06 AM
boomee
2nd Gear Member

its a hard choice I have a year or two before I decide it will be my secondary car since my subaru is my everyday car.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 AM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
Unless you have kids to take around, the 'Vette is the more desirable choice... Prettier, lighter, arguably faster and better handling, and much more aerodynamic. Once the need for back seats and a real trunk comes into the equation, the Mustang looks more desirable. They're both nice cars, and I really like the new Mustang Coyote engines... But prefer the Corvette looks and chassis. As good as the new GM pushrod engines are, I'd rather have something accepted as being more modern and exotic in a Corvette... Like a nice Ford aluminum twin-cam. One of each is the best of both worlds, until you start thinking Cadillac V series..
We have similar thoughts on the subject. I had the option to buy either and went the the Mustang Boss 302. Mainly for the back seats and the ease of entry is a big plus.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Stock for stock the C6 is the faster car.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:35 AM
5 Dot 0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Stock for stock the C6 is the faster car.
How about dollar for dollar?

Quick Reply: 5.0 or C6 Vette