Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic vs. Manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:58 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Sorry,I did not CLEARLY read the post before I ran mouth.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM
ShadyNinja
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTcrazy
I have a 2006 GT Convertible with only 24,000 miles on it. It's an automatic but I really want a stick. I've been thinking that replacing the transmission is a lot cheaper than buying a new car so I'm wondering:

1. About how much it would cost to replace the automatic with a manual?
2. Are the cars usually reliable and trouble free after you make this change?
3. Will Ford dealers do this or do you have to go to a specialty shop? I see a lot of shops that say they specialize in performance upgrades on Mustangs but I don't know if they are reliable and back their work like a dealer would.

Thanks for any help and suggestions
try a tuner 1st, you may be surprised how much it brings that automatic trans to life.

Bama With American Muscle is a good start.
a lot cheaper too!

BTW Welcome To MF
Old 01-30-2011, 06:41 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

No not pure gold, just gold leaf haha, but as stated above a tune will really bring the auto trans to life and most companies have an intake an tuner package for like $700. Definitely something worth looking into
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lazyboy31614@aol.com
I've spoken to one guy about doing this and when he did it, it cost home just over $6000 and that was him doing it himself and using stock parts. It was much cheaper for me to just swap in a built auto transmission and get a tune.
+10000

I was just talking with a guy last week that did this swap to his 07 GT. He made the comment that he could've put a twin screw on the car for the price of the manual swap, not to mention that his car was out of commision for weeks. He didn't have the option of selling it and buying a manual car because he is upside down with the loan, but he said that he would never try that swap again, lol. If you really have the dough for this swap, I would seriously consider performance mods instead of tearing the car apart trying to swap transmissions. If you are dead set on the swap then please post a how-to, along with photos!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:55 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KXRM
Just do a trade with someone that has a manual and wants an auto. Don't bother wasting time Frankensteining this.
Ditto..

I really love to drive a manual, but I also love my auto.

If someone was stuck with their auto and wanted to actually drive a stick shift, I'd go for the stick no matter what if they could afford it.

I love the auto w/4.10s, CAI/tune and it's even faster with the Vortech but by no means does it replace the "feeling" of driving a manual. All that stuff makes it faster and more fun, of course.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:45 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

You'd be better off trading it for a manual.

That said, if the car is stock, I seriously recommend trying an intake/tune from American Muscle. Get yourself the race tune, it completely transforms the auto. The throttle response is like a hair trigger, and the car hauls *** when you nail it. Mine will chirp the tires going into 2nd and 3rd gears. Its more fun to drive to me than the manual 09 GT I had IMHO.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:08 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Ditto.. I remember returning my Mustang to stock one day and almost lol'd at the performance. It was pretty sad how it shifted as well as off the line performance (if you could call it that) Even with 4.10s, it was pretty bad with the stock tune/air box.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 PM
redvertstang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
You'd be better off trading it for a manual.

That said, if the car is stock, I seriously recommend trying an intake/tune from American Muscle. Get yourself the race tune, it completely transforms the auto. The throttle response is like a hair trigger, and the car hauls *** when you nail it. Mine will chirp the tires going into 2nd and 3rd gears. Its more fun to drive to me than the manual 09 GT I had IMHO.
+1 .
Old 02-01-2011, 08:59 PM
notwise
1st Gear Member

You'll never miss a shift with an auto. But you'll also be a bitch. Just kidding.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:45 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Meh, after driving stick for 20 years and having at least 15-20 manual cars, I think I've forever secured my place in manual-non-bitchness. I just... don't care anymore, lol. Love my auto.

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. Manual