Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic vs. Manual

Old 01-30-2011, 12:47 PM
GTcrazy

Default Automatic vs. Manual

I have a 2006 GT Convertible with only 24,000 miles on it. It's an automatic but I really want a stick. I've been thinking that replacing the transmission is a lot cheaper than buying a new car so I'm wondering:

1. About how much it would cost to replace the automatic with a manual?
2. Are the cars usually reliable and trouble free after you make this change?
3. Will Ford dealers do this or do you have to go to a specialty shop? I see a lot of shops that say they specialize in performance upgrades on Mustangs but I don't know if they are reliable and back their work like a dealer would.

Thanks for any help and suggestions
Old 01-30-2011, 12:54 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

If it was me, and I wanted a manual, I would just trade cars. How many people do you know that have pieced together pieces of junk they are always working on? That would be you.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

The computer would have to be switched out too. I seriously doubt a dealership would touch this with a 10 foot pole.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:01 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Getting a Bama tune will make that auto a lot more fun. I added 3.73 gears and a Bamachips 93 octane race tune to my old v6...shifts were damn near perfect and the car was a lot more fun to drive.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:41 PM
KXRM
1st Gear Member

Just do a trade with someone that has a manual and wants an auto. Don't bother wasting time Frankensteining this.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTcrazy
I have a 2006 GT Convertible with only 24,000 miles on it. It's an automatic but I really want a stick. I've been thinking that replacing the transmission is a lot cheaper than buying a new car so I'm wondering:

1. About how much it would cost to replace the automatic with a manual? More than you'd lose if you did a fair trade for a manual.
2. Are the cars usually reliable and trouble free after you make this change? Why wouldn't it? Manual trannies, even with the clutch are less problem prone than an auto.
3. Will Ford dealers do this or do you have to go to a specialty shop? I see a lot of shops that say they specialize in performance upgrades on Mustangs but I don't know if they are reliable and back their work like a dealer would. Are you implying that Ford mechanics know as much about your Stang as some guy at a speed shop that specializes in Stangs??? The average Ford mechanic... oh, excuse me... "technician"... couldn't count the # of screws he has loose.

Thanks for any help and suggestions
As stated, a good custom tune will improve your auto. If you're dead-set on a manual, then start pricing.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:18 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

As much as I love modern/cutting edge technology......I do (sometimes) miss the simplicity of the old Fox body days......if you bought an AOD mustang and were unhappy(as most were)......on a Sat. afternoon you could swap out the AOD for a T-5 in NO time flat. I still have a Fox body and when I compare it against the S197 the Fox Body seems so unrefined/rough. Progress is a give and take in the scheme of things.

Besides practicality....does anybody know what it would take to change the S197 from an auto to a manual trans?
I'm just curious.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:04 PM
ikemikestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
As much as I love modern/cutting edge technology......I do (sometimes) miss the simplicity of the old Fox body days......if you bought an AOD mustang and were unhappy(as most were)......on a Sat. afternoon you could swap out the AOD for a T-5 in NO time flat. I still have a Fox body and when I compare it against the S197 the Fox Body seems so unrefined/rough. Progress is a give and take in the scheme of things.

Besides practicality....does anybody know what it would take to change the S197 from an auto to a manual trans?
I'm just curious.
Ive seriously looked into this. Trust me its not worth it. Your WAY better off trading with a stick guy or selling and buying a stick. I know theres a few people on this forum that have done this and may chime in and i know that they found someone that had manual and they just swapped parts. But many problems can occur and it may cause problems in the future.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:15 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

I've spoken to one guy about doing this and when he did it, it cost home just over $6000 and that was him doing it himself and using stock parts. It was much cheaper for me to just swap in a built auto transmission and get a tune.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:55 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lazyboy31614@aol.com
I've spoken to one guy about doing this and when he did it, it cost home just over $6000 and that was him doing it himself and using stock parts. It was much cheaper for me to just swap in a built auto transmission and get a tune.
Was the car painted with pure gold???????????????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Automatic vs. Manual