Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Best CAI for 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
B kNo023

Default Best CAI for 06 GT

Hey guys, I was wondering what everyone thought the best cold air intake is to get for a 06 Mustang GT. I was thinking of going with the C&L Racer Cold air but I would like to hear some opinions. Also im planning on getting a tuner and I'm going to go with the SCT from Bamatunes. Is there anything I should be worried about when using any of these tunes as far as leaning out or anything like that?
Thanks for any input
Old 02-07-2011, 09:24 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

I just purchased the FRPP Cold Air Intake an SCT Tuner from americanmuscle.com, if you can wait till Wednesday/Thursday I'll let you know how it is when it comes in. Just shipped out today.

I went with the FRPP one because it keeps a somewhat OEM look what with it being made by Ford and all. Plus I heard good things about it.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Whichever one you think looks the best! They are all pretty equivalent in performance. Just make sure you get one that comes with a hand-tuner.

I have the C&L Racer and its good. Was thinking about the FRPP intake becuase of the OEM look as stated above
Old 02-07-2011, 09:50 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by B kNo023
Hey guys, I was wondering what everyone thought the best cold air intake is to get for a 06 Mustang GT. I was thinking of going with the C&L Racer Cold air but I would like to hear some opinions. Also im planning on getting a tuner and I'm going to go with the SCT from Bamatunes. Is there anything I should be worried about when using any of these tunes as far as leaning out or anything like that?
Thanks for any input
I am running a Steeda CAI with my SC, I think Steeda had a kit at one point that came with the CAI, tuner, shorties, and gears. If they still have that, it would be a great start.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Grabborange
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by B kNo023
Thanks for any input
You can't go wrong with either C and L, JLT, Steeda or FRPP. Lot's of guys on this site have them and like them. AM/Bama tunes are some of the best. I'm very happy with my Race Tune. You shouldn't have an issue with their tunes being lean, etc but if you do the customer service is great and they will make it right.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I have used Steeda and was happy with it until my setup required a bit more for its power level (550+ crank hp). If you're expecting to go to some high power levels, you might take a look at the Saleen Extreme intake. Some have run the Steeda to higher power levels than I, but not many.

That said, the Steeda is a nice unit, and I don't say that just because I'm selling it lol. If you do decide on the Steeda CAI, hit me up as you might be able to save some money and apply it towards the tune you'll need to go with it.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:47 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I got the C&L intake with my combo, but if I had to do it over again I would go with the FRPP for fit reasons. I don't like the idea of using zip ties to hold the intake in place. Good luck with her.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Since 75% -80% of the power gain is from the tune, "best" CAI means a few different things; BEST looking, BEST price... Check peoples sigs for what they're using.

Since the engine can only ingest so much, you could intall a CAI with a huge maw and it wouldn't make any HP difference so chose what you like. Bama/AM is one of the better tuners so you'll be good to go.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:49 AM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
I got the C&L intake with my combo, but if I had to do it over again I would go with the FRPP for fit reasons. I don't like the idea of using zip ties to hold the intake in place.

Zip ties? I have the C@L Racer and it didn't need any zip ties at all. Just curious.

OP, what Nuke said. Go with what you like visually and budget. JLT, C@L, Steeda, FRPP, all those are good intakes but pure PERFORMANCE gains betweent them are very slight.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Ditto Nuke and Franchi.............as long as your buying from AM or brenspeed its gonna be good.

Quick Reply: Best CAI for 06 GT