Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen S/C // Aluminator build

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:59 PM
ReaperStang06GT

Cool Saleen S/C // Aluminator build

Alright, so it's been a while since I last posted on my story https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...s-to-come.html

There really was no end to the story because I had a problem with my dyno in which my HP seemed to die out at 5400 RPMs. At the time, I had no money to troubleshoot the problem so I just drove for the most part in limp mode for a year. Since then, I have been transferred to Las Vegas, NV from Virginia and my dreams have come true. 5 min away from my house is the Shelby HQ complete with a Shelby American Motorsports speedshop. I have taken my car there to complete, for the most part, my build.

I took my car there and had the guys troubleshoot my problem. They were able to see the problem on the dyno and immediately they went to work on troubleshooting. They did a compression test and it was perfect. Checked my spark plugs, checked timing, A/F ratio and no problems. In the link above, during the rebuild, it was found my prior heads were destroyed. The guys at that shop had found me a set of used heads from an '05 Explorer. They had them cleaned and rebuilt to include a 5 angle valve job. I was told my original cams were reused. I explained this to the guys at Shelby and their eyes got wide. What they said is this seemed like my valves were floating and it is very very possible when the heads were reworked, the incorrect springs and retainers were used.

I called Rocket and they couldn't remember where the heads came from and only that my cams were reused and no info on the springs or retainers. They offered to buy me a new set of the springs and retainers which would have been great but they have not sent them and it has been 2 months. They don't return my calls and they never answer the phone. I pressed forward and told Shelby to go ahead and make it happen. They told me they want to replace my cams as well because they just quite frankly trust what Rocket Performance did. I agreed. Seems the guys at Shelby had a set of used cams that were used for RnD. They are the Comp Cams 127300 XFI VSR cams. Since my power will increase a nice amount, I have finally ordered the GT500 dual fuel pump setup. I have also ordered the 60lb injectors, a 13lb pulley and new belt for the Saleen S/C.

I ordered the fuel pump, injectors, pulley and belt on my own. I will be changing the fuel pump on my own before I take my car to Shelby to help cut back on labor. I will change the injectors in the parking lot of their shop as well for the same reason.

My parts should be here by next week and the other parts for Shelby should be here next week as well. I'll be sure to post my dyno numbers and keep you all in the loop. Sorry for the long post, but this is gonna be awesome. BTW, so far one of the guys is estimating 550-580 RWHP as a "realistic" number.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:37 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Glad you got it all worked out!

It's gonna be a killer set up once it all gets dialed in...

interesting story about the last rebuild.. wtf?!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'm glad things are starting to look up, i remember your story and
it seems that finally there may be a happy ending.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:11 PM
ReaperStang06GT

So it's been a while but I need to keep this updated. I installed the GT500 dual pump last weekend, it wasn't too bad. Today I got my free tune from Brenspeed for ordering the parts so I decided to go ahead and throw in the injectors, pulley and belt and tuned my car up. Then I got the call from Shelby Speedshop to drop my car off. They wanted to fit me in a 2-3 day window to get it done.

I'll tell ya, I wouldn't shift above 5k due to my valve float, but after that tune and the boost upgrades my car was screaming on the way to Shelby. Never felt that power before. BTW, it really helps working on F-15s cause I do a lot of wiring and I had another Air Force bud over to help me on the Fuel Pump and we made that wiring look stock with all the zip ties and routing.