Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP parts, good combo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 PM
usmcmp90
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP parts, good combo?

so I've decided to take the N/A route and keep it all muscle. i've also decided that i want to go the FRPP route. so far i've decided on getting the FRPP Throttle body, shorty headers, xpipe, intake, and hotrod cams. Is this a fairly good combo of parts? I know i could go further like getting new heads, intake plenum, and such but thats something i'm saving for when i have more moneys. an i know getting long tubes would be better but i gotta keep within emissions : /
Old 02-10-2011, 09:35 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Skip the intake, shorty headers and Hot Rod cams. If you're going to spend the time and money to go N/A you need to get the parts that provide the most HP. American Racing long tubes with catted X pipe, leave the factory manifold you'll want the long runners for more low - mid range torque. Take the $500 for the intake and put it aside for CNC ported cylinder heads. And get a set of custom grind cams for your combo.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

I would ditch the throttle body, they don't really do much, specially N/A setups
Old 02-11-2011, 06:10 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Also, don't limit yourself to FRPP parts. Ford's warranty will not cover any damages that are caused by FRPP parts.

I know the dealership pushes the FRPP stuff, but the Warranty says that FRPP is not FoMoCo (they are just another aftermarket) and if an FRPP part damages something else on the car, warranty work for that damaged part will not be covered.
The dealership only pushes them because they are a Ford authorized product, and all the dealership wants to do is make money.

FRPP aftermarket stuff are not that good anyway. Most of their stuff does not add anymore power than another aftermarket product that might be a bit cheaper. And FRPP can be more expensive in many cases.

Since it is not guaranteed FRPP is covered in the warranties, since they do not offer as good of performance increases as other aftermarket parts, and since they can be more expensive, you should look at skipping FRPP altogether since you are in the same boat if you go with a different aftermarket part.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

What is your real basis for wanting to stick with FRPP parts? I think you're missing out on a lot more bang-for-the-buck.

I also concur with SpartaPerformance's suggestions above, ESPECIALLY avoiding the TB (and not just the FRPP TB but ANY aftermarket TB). I think you need to research more since it sounds like you're basing your mods on the incorrect advertised info.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:35 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I know of people that install only Ford performance parts and their happy. They are like a Ford purist....they don't mind modifying their car as long as it's with Ford parts. You will get more bang for the buck going outside of Ford performance parts but, the Ford stuff is good and sometimes conservative. Have fun....what are you thinking of installing and what is your goal?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM
usmcmp90
1st Gear Member

first off, thanks for all the info. my basis for wanting to do FRPP is just mainly cuz of the being a ford purist kinda thing but based on wut i'm hearing from every1 i think that i'm gonna change that and expand my options to others. So as far as an N/A set up, wut should i do?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning behind avoiding forced induction? Concerns of engine safety? Only reason I ask is that eventually, it would have cost you less in terms of dollars per horsepower to go forced induction.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:04 PM
usmcmp90
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Just out of curiosity, what is your reasoning behind avoiding forced induction? Concerns of engine safety? Only reason I ask is that eventually, it would have cost you less in terms of dollars per horsepower to go forced induction.
very good question and i've asked myself the same. for starters, i just like the idea of being pure muscle. also, i am worried about engine wear considering i am planning on keeping this car for a VERY long time. however, i have been thinking about the possibility that if i do a SC about getting a lower powered one to avoid engine wear like an m90 maybe but right now my primary route is N/A
Old 02-11-2011, 08:11 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I already stated what I recommend.

Quick Reply: FRPP parts, good combo?