Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Looking into Supercharging!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 PM
raywang5
2nd Gear Member

if u never track, go to the centri, paxton or vortech..HO. not very expensive, high hp numbers. i dont see daily driver even need a supercharger, if u are not getting on it, its useless. if u are getting on it probly the rpm will over 4k at least. and centris do feel more powerful compare to stock after the install, its not like no feeling before it boost up. damn, u know i make 487rwhp with just the paxton novi 2200 on my manual GT, nothing else, i install it myself in the weekend. not too hard to install urself if u want to save the labor $$s. actually, all the inf above is useless lol, go out and try to test centrif supers and twinscrew supers. u will know what u want.. u will be happy in anyways.
Old 02-25-2011, 02:52 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Weve talked about this alot around here. Imho if you plan to keep the stock bottom end the roush blower is the way to go. Peopel can talk hat soak all the want. For about 5600 installed w the vmp 500 kit i put down 420whp and the car screams i. The 110 degree texas summers too.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:35 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by raywang5
if u never track, go to the centri, paxton or vortech..HO. not very expensive, high hp numbers. i dont see daily driver even need a supercharger, if u are not getting on it, its useless. if u are getting on it probly the rpm will over 4k at least. and centris do feel more powerful compare to stock after the install, its not like no feeling before it boost up. damn, u know i make 487rwhp with just the paxton novi 2200 on my manual GT, nothing else, i install it myself in the weekend. not too hard to install urself if u want to save the labor $$s. actually, all the inf above is useless lol, go out and try to test centrif supers and twinscrew supers. u will know what u want.. u will be happy in anyways.
Ditto!!

Hell, even just the Vortech non-intercooled gave me a shiet load of power with minimal mods other than gears and delete plates. Headers helped too.

If you don't want to spend a ton, the V3 non-intercooled kit is money well spent. Throw on all the NA mods you want.. you'll still be about 30whp short of this puppy bolted on, thats assuming you have everything and makine 350whp. By then, you would have surpassed the price of this kit.

I have it and would recommend it to anyone looking for a great/simple kit. Install is a breeze. Just don't drive during the winter and you're set.

Consider it a 150+ hp kit. Add an intercooler and smaller pulley, 93 gas, and you'll be damn near 500whp. It's a lot less torque so your rods will be (relatively) safe.

That kit is good to 550-560whp.. more than you'll ever need!
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

If it is in the cards I'll SC my 05 in July, when I know where I am at.

I am pretty set on the M90, even full price it is the best blower for the stock engine. Less likely to overstress the stock internals. I love the saleen supershaker, but that thing costs what a M90 costs with install included... Not to mention the fact it churns out a fair bit more ponies than the M90 does.

Any car doing 12's in the quarter is some serious ****, and gets you in plenty trouble. The M90 should put you there as well. And if you like "loud as ****" whine like I do, the M90 is the supercharger for you.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:17 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justice
If it is in the cards I'll SC my 05 in July, when I know where I am at.

I am pretty set on the M90, even full price it is the best blower for the stock engine. Less likely to overstress the stock internals. I love the saleen supershaker, but that thing costs what a M90 costs with install included... Not to mention the fact it churns out a fair bit more ponies than the M90 does.

Any car doing 12's in the quarter is some serious ****, and gets you in plenty trouble. The M90 should put you there as well. And if you like "loud as ****" whine like I do, the M90 is the supercharger for you.
I am not interested in the loud whine, I can live with a bit but don't want it too bad. Most times when I get into it I am going from a standstill, not a lot of freeways around here and I would like to get to the track more often. I am off of the e-force after seeing quite a few others unhappy with the power they got out of it so right now on the top of my list is the Saleen stage 1 or stage 2 kit. They claim 420-450hp to the wheels which would keep me happy for a little while. If I can't find it for a decent price in a couple monthes when I am ready to buy the next on my list are the Whipple and Keene Bell systems.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:37 AM
funmoneypit

I am a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned but I will try. I am no way an expert on this but have also been doing a lot of research on superchargers.

The old root style SC's (Roush M90, etc...) are a good bang for the buck. They don't give you as much HP but will keep you in the "safe" zone better. They really aren't too upgradeable so you get what you get. I almost went with a M90 because of the low price and ease of install but I went on YouTube and listened to some of them and they are waaay to loud for me!! Let me say that once you SC, you are beyond "safe" but many have done it for years without issue while others have blown it up in a month or two. A good tune is a must.

The positive displacement twin screws are very nice (E-Force, Saleen, Roush TVS, etc..). You get almost instant torque/power and can really feel them throughout the powerband. They do become a little pricey but are really nice and most are upgradeable. Some of these are quieter than others. By the way, the 466 HP Edelbrock claims is at the crank, not the wheel. I think most are seeing about 420-430 rwhp with everything else being stock. You can also change the pulley size and increase power pretty quickly.

The centris are more of a linear powerband. As RPM's increase, so does the power. You won't get that instant "**** your pants feeling", but it will come on as the RPM's go up. These are very easy to install for the most part and are expandable too. They can make some insane power.

It all comes down to what you really want, instant power, linear power, a loud whine, no whine, will you ever want more power? It is up to each individual and make sure you are honest with yourself about the future and will you be happy later down the road or will you need more power? You don't want to buy two superchargers!!

Again, I am not an expert. I am sure I haven't captured everything here and did not try.

Good luck with whatever way you go.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:16 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

If you have an auto and 4.10s with a Centri it'll pretty much feel like it's instant when you get on it. NO wait at all.. the only bad thing is there is no real in between unless you manually shift. I didn't really like it before, but when I think about it somemore- it has a very great power delivery... pretty much idle or 1800 to 3k when WOT and you're off. If you have a manual and the tune permits- you can rev it to high heaven and it'll continue to spin and make power
Old 02-26-2011, 07:42 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I have an auto with 410's, cams, and the saleen. Its very easy to drive and when u want to go u can. i dont regret this mod selection at all. I would say if u want that old school power this is the way to go. I plan on tracking the car this summer. I dont have dr's yet but they are coming. I have driven this on snowy roads without much problems but that was also in town. If u have half a brain it can still drive like stock but if u want some power without WOT. U will have that too. I got my saleen during brenspeeds sale last black friday for 5100 for the 475hp kit. If u can hold out u can find some great deals Oh and the december install was only 200 as that was a special they had. i took full advantage.

good luck

Im making 438 to the wheels if u were wondering
Old 02-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by funmoneypit
The positive displacement twin screws are very nice (E-Force, Saleen, Roush TVS, etc..).
The Edelbrock and TVS are not twin screws. The only twin screws made for these cars are Saleens, Kenne Bells and Whipples.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
bigmike06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by outceltj
I have an auto with 410's, cams, and the saleen. Its very easy to drive and when u want to go u can. i dont regret this mod selection at all. I would say if u want that old school power this is the way to go. I plan on tracking the car this summer. I dont have dr's yet but they are coming. I have driven this on snowy roads without much problems but that was also in town. If u have half a brain it can still drive like stock but if u want some power without WOT. U will have that too. I got my saleen during brenspeeds sale last black friday for 5100 for the 475hp kit. If u can hold out u can find some great deals Oh and the december install was only 200 as that was a special they had. i took full advantage.

good luck

Im making 438 to the wheels if u were wondering
I am trying to keep an eye out for sales on the Saleens but unfortunately for the install it is quite pricey to buy and have installed up here in Canada. I can save a couple grand just by heading south of the border. I have an aunt in Utah so I figured I would go visit and have it all done while I am there. It makes it hard to catch the good sales but I should have the money in a month or so and I will do some serious sale searching.

Quick Reply: Looking into Supercharging!!