Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Insuring my Saleen

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Astonius

Default Insuring my Saleen

I'm having trouble getting insurance quotes for my 2006 Saleen S281 S/C. They all keep asking if I know how much the customizations are worth, but I honestly don't have a clue. I found this site that tells me the custom additions, but I really don't know how to value them. The car only has 2200 miles on it. What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:10 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

What are the customizations?
Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Astonius

Originally Posted by daredevil95
What are the customizations?
As far as I can tell it's a stock Saleen S281 S/C, which includes all the mods mentioned here:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005...2006saleen.php

A friend of mine estimated the additions at $20k
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

That's a great car!!

I would go with classic/specialty car insurance. Organizations like Hagerty or Grundy and there are other insurers where you can purchase agreed upon value policy, From what I hear they are not expensive but, I have no experience with this type of insurance.

As far as quotes as to value I found this info:
Pricing Up from last years $39K price tag the '06 S281 3 Valve will be $42,281. Also up from last year the S281 SC will be $51,102 (convertible: $55,989) which puts it higher than the standard vette's price tag of $43,800, and lower than the Z06's $65K.

I attached the source:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005...2006saleen.php

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:47 AM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

The sticker price on an S281 Supercharged Coupe in 2006 was indeed $51,202.00 according to the Dealer Order Guides we have in our archives. Consider they started with a Mustang GT T82 code chassis, which means the $20K your friend suggested is low.

If you have the original window sticker, get a copy to your insurer as proof of the build itemization.

If you do not have the window sticker, you can order one for the tidy sum of about $100 by calling 1-800-888-8945 -- ask them to pack it carefully because you want to frame it (and cross your fingers they do so).
Old 02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jim D.
The sticker price on an S281 Supercharged Coupe in 2006 was indeed $51,202.00 according to the Dealer Order Guides we have in our archives. Consider they started with a Mustang GT T82 code chassis, which means the $20K your friend suggested is low.

If you have the original window sticker, get a copy to your insurer as proof of the build itemization.

If you do not have the window sticker, you can order one for the tidy sum of about $100 by calling 1-800-888-8945 -- ask them to pack it carefully because you want to frame it (and cross your fingers they do so).
Hi, you seem to be big fan of the Saleen cars. What's your opinion on the new Saleen Mustangs and the fact that Steve Saleen no longer has anything to do with the cars besides his name? Saleen started another company called SMS, would it be a wiser decision to go with the SMS car or the Saleen? Any info on why this split occurred.....I know he sold his company? I was always a big fan of Saleen Mustang and the S7.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:00 PM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Astonius
I'm having trouble getting insurance quotes for my 2006 Saleen S281 S/C. They all keep asking if I know how much the customizations are worth, but I honestly don't have a clue. I found this site that tells me the custom additions, but I really don't know how to value them. The car only has 2200 miles on it. What do you guys think?
I'd go with Grundy. I have a 2005 GT that I modded the hell out of including a Saleen SC.Grundy did not ask about any mods .All that they ask is what full replacement valve do you want to give to this vehicle. They asked for two pictures one front and one side view to comfirm no damage I guess. I insurured mine for 25,000 for a full year for around $375.00
Couple things it can't be your DD. You must provide them with proof of another car to use as DD. Also no stated limited mileage but usage is agreed to be limited to Car shows, Sunday drive and that sort of things. They never asked for any mileage numbers from me.
Go online to Grundy do a quick quote.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:33 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by zoomerman46
I'd go with Grundy. I have a 2005 GT that I modded the hell out of including a Saleen SC.Grundy did not ask about any mods .All that they ask is what full replacement valve do you want to give to this vehicle. They asked for two pictures one front and one side view to comfirm no damage I guess. I insurured mine for 25,000 for a full year for around $375.00
Couple things it can't be your DD. You must provide them with proof of another car to use as DD. Also no stated limited mileage but usage is agreed to be limited to Car shows, Sunday drive and that sort of things. They never asked for any mileage numbers from me.
Does the Grundy insurance policy coverage include liability along with agreed upon value(comprehensive)?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Astonius

Originally Posted by zoomerman46
Grundy seems like a great deal, however this is technically my DD, and I would hate to have coverage denied because I told them it wasn't a DD. This might change as I'm considering a DD, but until then I decided to go with Geico (who I already had) as they were able to get me the best deal. My 6 mo. premium for an under 25 single male is $875. That's with coverage of $20k for the Saleen mods.

Some people have expressed concerns around the value of the mods at $20k saying it might be more. My thought is the car's MSRP in '06 was $52k. I'm estimating that a base GT in '06 was around $32k, thus a $20k difference in mods. Is my logic/calc flawed?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Does the Grundy insurance policy coverage include liability along with agreed upon value(comprehensive)?
Yes that was for full coverage,liability,comprehensive,and glass. Same coverage as any other insurance company but because limited usage as not a DD more likely not to have any claims for accidents and such keeps the price down. Oh by the way I think the your age may have something to do with cost. Me at 65, I don't think they see me as a bad investment. If your not driving the car on a daily basis then Classic/Musle car insurance is th eway to go.

AStonius,
At age 25 anywhere you go for iInsurance with a Saleen Mustang is going to be expensive. I insure 3 cars for the price you wil be paying for the Saleen for a full year.

Quick Reply: Insuring my Saleen