Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

S197's unusually susceptible to windshield chips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I'm on my third replaced windshield for chips/cracks since '05. What I can't figure out is every time some truck has thrown up a rock, it always hits eye level right in front of the drivers seat. Seems against the law of averages or something.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:01 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
What I can't figure out is every time some truck has thrown up a rock, it always hits eye level right in front of the drivers seat.
I've noticed that too.. my chip is right about that spot.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99horsey
Must be a Your Mileage May Vary situation. I've had good luck so far with my 2006 (knock on wood). My 99 on the other hand, was like a Hoover when it came to rocks. Chips all over the windshield and the hood (with chunks taken out of it since it was like a fiberglass material)...
Good point.
The hard rock chip hits I got were on long trips, 100 mile trips on the interstate. The first such chip came from a rock or screw being thrown up from a truck tire tread in front of us; it hit the passenger side and if it would have came through the windshield, it would have hit my GF.
We had the radio up really loud, and I heard the hit even above that.

When we got to where we were going, I looked for the hit, but I had a damn hard time finding the chip. It was that tiny.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have 5 or 6 tiny chips on my 06 too. I bought the car used with 15k miles with all those chips. Windshield glass seems weak to me.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Im not sure if the glass is cheaper or not but its just a matter of luck (or lack of) and how that rock or pebble hits the glass. Ive had a rock hit the window and bounce off at 60 but the in 1st week I had this car, a cluster ball of dirt and rocks flew out of a truck and put a series of pits in the windsheild, and I was going half the speed.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:44 PM
MONSTER11

Originally Posted by Skullbussa
I only have 4500 miles on my '11 GT and I already have 3 rock chips on my windshield. I have had 4 cars in the last 5 years and drive the same way to/from work. I have never had any of my other cars get so many rock chips from driving.

Is this glass notoriously lousy or something? Am I the only one experiencing this?
Just picked my '11 GT up last week and yesterday on my way home from work I heard a rock hit the windshield... No chip, thank God. Then about 5 mins later I hear another and sure enough there is a chip about the size of a quarter...
Old 03-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Yes. I've never had another car get windshield chips so easily.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM
DnDMan

Yep. When I traded in my 2010 for a 2011 two weeks ago (some crazy bitch with no insurance ran a red light and raped my car), it had 18 chips in the windshield. 18 chips in 18 months.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:49 PM
Couger

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I'm on my third replaced windshield for chips/cracks since '05. What I can't figure out is every time some truck has thrown up a rock, it always hits eye level right in front of the drivers seat. Seems against the law of averages or something.
Last week with ~3000 miles on my new 2011, I took a 2.5 hour trip to GA. 3 seperate trucks popped rocks which hit my windshield right in front of my line of sight. My old 1996 mustang had on small chip after 15 years and it was behind the rearview mirror. I too hope it was just bad luck.

I called my insurance agent who said they would replace the windshield for the price of my $100 deductable. He said they, Allstate, no longer do the repair with no deductable option. A little research and it appears 60% of all auto claims are for $300-$350 windshields, so many of the insurance companies are pushing $500 deductables.

I hope a new windshield won't leak and has the pony logo in the dots like the original.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Riptide
IMO the glass on these cars is cheap crap. It's made in Mexico. My 06 has been a chip magnet ever since I've owned it. It doesn't take much.
Flying rocks come from following too close to other vehicles that pick up
the rocks and throw them into the air. Stop following too close and
the magnet effect will disappear.

Glass is glass and none are better against flying rocks.
Change your driving habits.
On another note, are these rims made from cheap metal?
Everytime I hit a curb, a mark is produced on the rim.
Everytime.
I must have a curb magnet...

Quick Reply: S197's unusually susceptible to windshield chips?