Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT Power Mods questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:30 AM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Default Mustang GT Power Mods questions

So I have a K&N CAI, and a Bassani catback exhaust (free-er flowing, horsepower increase from exhaust).

What would be some modifications to increase power even more, aside from supercharging the sucker. Also, what order would you reccomend said modifications.

For awhile I was thinking about a throttle body...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-20...y-natural.html

and now that i have an aftermarket CAI and exhaust, it may be worth it to get it...what say you.

Also, I am unwilling to get higher gear differentials...I have 3.55's but I do alot of highway travel and do not want to lose too much top speed power.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:29 AM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Skip the throttle body, you won't really see any gains with a naturally aspirated setup. Have you done a tune yet? If not check out either american muscle or brenspeed, they have the SCT tuners that you can use to compliment your CAI and exhaust. You will only get a few ponies (3-5) out of that CAI without a tune, and the exhaust won't give you a whole lot since the stock exhaust flows pretty well.

If you don't want to go FI then some long tube headers and an x or h pipe (if you can get away with it get an off road one but you will have to check emission laws for your state). You can also do under drive pulleys, better cams, and gears. I have stock gears so I will let someone with experience suggest a gear ratio for you. I know a lot of guys like their 4.10s though. I would suggest an aluminum drive shaft. Mine was 26lbs lighter than the stock one, so it gets rid of some of the parasitic loss.

Last edited by yourmyboybh1026; 03-03-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:26 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I agree in getting a handheld tuner. If you get an SCT SF3 for example you don't even need to get a dyno tune, you can adjust for your CAI through the device, if you want to add CMVC delte for example later on you can adjust for that through the device also without having to go get dyno tunes or email tunes. A TB is a good mod, I have one from a GT-500 and noticed a difference but for that you will require a tune to squeeze out the max amount of power. You can also try under drive pulleys if you have no plans to SC the car.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I also don't recommend the aftermarket TB. The stock TB has been proven to flow as well as needed unless you go FI or do internal work so tthe engine can use more air than the stock TB can provide.

A stand-alone CAI is good for about 3-5 RWHP. A CAI & tune (good custom tunes from Brenspeed or AM; NOT the canned tunes from SCT or Diablo) is good for about 20-25 RWHP.

Cams with LT's also yield very nice gains in the 20-30 RWHP range. After that, it's nickle and dime stuff: UDP's, delete plates, aluminum DS, weight loss...
Old 03-04-2011, 06:16 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

dont get the throttle body, and do you research if you are looking into cams. some cams, like hot rod cams, dont do much if anything for power, but sound cool.

id recommend an sf3 tuner from american muscle. steeda underdrive pulleys are also great - gave me 10whp/8wtq. with just those two mods, youd gain around 20whp i bet.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:26 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Do a lot of reading before you decide what you think you want. Educate youself on all mods before buying anything. You will save yourself money in the long run.

Last edited by 808muscle; 03-05-2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by deltafool117
So I have a K&N CAI, and a Bassani catback exhaust (free-er flowing, horsepower increase from exhaust).

What would be some modifications to increase power even more, aside from supercharging the sucker. Also, what order would you reccomend said modifications.

For awhile I was thinking about a throttle body...
http://www.americanmuscle.com/gms-20...y-natural.html

and now that i have an aftermarket CAI and exhaust, it may be worth it to get it...what say you.

Also, I am unwilling to get higher gear differentials...I have 3.55's but I do alot of highway travel and do not want to lose too much top speed power.
Since you started the exhaust mods I would next go to LT headers and an X-pipe....you should get about 20+RWHP.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
...I would next go to LT headers and an X-pipe....you should get about 20+RWHP.
I think that's a bit high. By themselves, LT's might gain 10-15. The X-pipe gain is minimal. Add cams to that and you're talkin' about 25-30+.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:24 AM
jrockgts197
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I think that's a bit high. By themselves, LT's might gain 10-15. The X-pipe gain is minimal. Add cams to that and you're talkin' about 25-30+.
+1

I agree with Nuke and much of what has been posted so far, but here is my opinion.

1. NO aftermarket throttle body. They have been inconsistent, somewhat unreliable, and downright difficult to tune. As mentioned, the stock TB is more than adequate for the power levels we are talking about.
2. Remove the K&N, sell it on Ebay, and put that money towards a CAI/Tune package from AM or Brenspeed. CAI setups that do not require a tune are inferior (air flow/power potential) to those that do, yet cost nearly the same amount. Ask me how I know.....
3. A mid pipe is almost a 100% personal preference sound mod. I liked the way the X pipe sounded, so I went with a catless pipe - only because I reasoned that if I was going to pay the premium they ask for midpipes for our cars then I was going to squeak out every last horsepower I could.
4. UD pulleys are a decent mod, as well as gears, CMCV deletes, and the 1 piece driveshaft.

Obviously the benefits of added air flow and cams will be enhanced by LT headers and a catless mid pipe, but not everyone wants to do tackle/pay for a cam or header install.

The #1 thing on your list should be a CAI/tuner with a custom tune, if anything. Having a tuner and the ability to get free updated tunes for new parts (AM/Brenspeed, when purchased from them) unlocks a lot of future mods and has been discussed on this site numerous times as probably the best bang-for-the-buck mod on these cars when included with a good CAI.

Last edited by jrockgts197; 03-06-2011 at 12:27 AM. Reason: ...