Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear Drama / Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:48 AM
cstich08

One thing i've wondered is whether or not speed shops actually check the wear pattern once they shim the whole thing. I say this becasuse I think most whine problems are going to come from improper wear pattern. I say this for two reasons, one because it's not as quantifiable of a step and two becasue it takes a shop more time to check, change, and perfect the wear pattern, hense it ends up not getting done properly or maybe at all. But I could be completely wrong so feel free to disagree because I don't have any actual evidence that this is the case.

Jamaman, without knowing exactly what is causing the whine and just how bad it is its hard to say whether or not it will cause problems. My guess would be probably not if its as mild as you say it is, but again I'm not an expert. I don't mean to make you a hypochondriac, but some general problems that can arise from a bad instal are: if the backlash is too loose then you could break ring gear teeth when you stand on it (depending on how much hp you put down) or if the backlash is too tight then the gears could have excess friction causing them to heat up, expand, and sieze completely, but that's unlikely. As far as problems caused by improper pinion depth, I'm not really sure. maybe you could take it to another shop in the area or find someone on the forums near you with experience and see what they say about it.

Jim, that's the magnetic dial indicator that I used to do my instal and it worked perfectly.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:08 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Once you put miles on the gear, the pattern sets in which pretty much means that you need a new gear set, start from scratch and hope they can do it right the next time around. That is the reason why you don't buy pre-owned or used gear sets, and yes, motive gears are KNOWN to whine. That was a poor choice to begin with as FRPP ones are maybe $20 more USD? Just about any gear thread and motive in it will tell you that info.

Don't know why you had to go buck wild, but that's not really relevant now.

Also there is a wear in and cool down period. Don't know if the shop told you about that. You drive the car for 10-15 min , let the car cool down 6-8 hours, repeating the process 3 times at least and drive MILD for about 500 miles. That helps allow the gear to set in properly.

Last edited by alkemist; 03-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 AM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

some minimal noise is normal with 4.10's though isn't it? I know on a perfectly smooth road there is a slight "whirring" for me barely noticeable and only on smooooth paved roads, but I thought I read somewhere thats expected. No crazy whining though.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:18 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I initially ordered Ford Racing 4.10 gears; however, AM sent me a Motive Gear instead. Rather than returning them, I was in the F - - k it mode and decided to install them anyway since I never tried Motives before.

I went buck wild at the shop because the dude screwed up the gears install initially. As I recall, he said “Oh yeah, I install these gears’ all the time”. Sure enough, he F - - ked them up and a crazy whistling sound was too loud to bear. I installed many gears before so I knew the sound was not normal. When I took them back to him, he said he is going to charge me for fixing them. At that point, I was about to kill him cause he is the one that screwed them up, and the onus is not on me to make sure they work fine. I am sure most of you would agree with that point.

I followed the break in, warm up, and cool down period and the sound still persisted. He finally spent a lot of time with them and I watched him do it. The majority of the sound is gone. However, I can hear the same sound but much less between the speeds 40 – 80 miles per hour. At this point, I know many people have it much worse than me and im not willing to drop more money into the rear end. I rather spend the money on new shoes for the car. So I will live with the sound and roll with the program.

The only thing I noticed is that I never saw him use a magnetic dial indicator, so im assuming he never used it and that is the cause for the noise

I don’t mean to bitch in this exert, I just wanted to clarify some of the points I previously left out.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:39 PM
jlc41
2nd Gear Member

Well I think you answered your question. You can't set up a gear set without dialing it in and expect it to be quiet let alone mesh correctly.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

When anyone does gears, they should take it to a shop that does nothing but gears and differentials. Thats best way to get good results.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

I took my car to my boss's friend, who happens to be a fellow mustang guy. I was able to watch the entire process, from start to finish. He checked my backlash and painted the gears to test the bite,

Old 03-13-2011, 08:56 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

^same here. I got to help and watch my install and the guy explained every step and tool to me. Was very educational but a lot to take in.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Pete_Rockett
2nd Gear Member

I've got 2 grand in mine for gears...
Old 03-17-2011, 07:26 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett
I've got 2 grand in mine for gears...
I feel your pain... and there's also the time involved.

Mines been at the dealer a total of 6 weeks since December 2010. Of course I'm getting some paint work done too, but at this point I've not had the car going on 4 weeks straight.

I got silent gears now but a persistent driveline vibration. Doing gears was probably one of the worst decisions I've made in my adult life.

Tim

Quick Reply: Gear Drama / Please Read