Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gear Drama / Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Pete_Rockett
2nd Gear Member

I love the way it performs with the gears, but I never dreamed there were only 3 mechanics in the world who could do it right - and none of them are in Atlanta!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:24 PM
tdbrown75
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett
I love the way it performs with the gears, but I never dreamed there were only 3 mechanics in the world who could do it right - and none of them are in Atlanta!
LOL! That's a great observation.

Tim
Old 03-17-2011, 11:04 PM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I guess its a hit and miss situation. I mean if the dealer can f - - k them up too , then anyone's guess is as good as mine on where to install them. I guess I will just turn up the music and live with the noise. If you hear someday that some guy blew his head off while driving a lime green stang GT with a chrome Saleen rims , you will know its me haha.
Old 03-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

This is EXACTLY why I decided to stay with my stock 3.55 gears. I'd like to have 4.10s, but I have read too many similiar horror stories, and even had one of my own getting 3.73s in a 2000 Stang. Thanks, but no thanks.
Old 03-18-2011, 06:29 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Why would they not shim the damn thing properly the first time?

If shimming is the key for proper teeth mesh and also the resulting gear whine, why do not all the shops do it properly the first time?
Or is it hard to determine just how much shimming is needed and it is a trial and error process?
End of the day, in a rush, not willing to be patient.

It's possible that the first backlash measurement the guy checked was "good", so he stopped there and called the job done. Wrong answer!

Understand that backlash quite frequently varies over a few thousandths over all of the possible combinations of pinion and ring gear teeth, a couple even in good gearsets. So your optimum setting ends up being a best overall setting that is neither too tight nor too loose. Too tight is worse, because it restricts lubrication (which is the only means of removing heat from the gear teeth).

The car owner's responsibility is to break the gears in correctly, otherwise the gears may locally overheat. Light throttle, varying speeds, just easy on them - which can be hard to do if the owner isn't patient as well.

After the first easy drive (which can be up to 50 miles at least according to some gear mfrs) you will not hold your hand against the diff. I don't consider gears to be fully broken in until you can. It'll still be hot, just not unbearably so like a range top element @ 300°F.

I've done a couple of gearsets on the Malibu, and the only noise I've ever had was a little occasional whine on the coast side of the 3.73's. I do suspect that as the ratios get into the higher numbers it'll be a little more likely that you will get a little whine, simply because the pinion typically has fewer teeth (meaning that each tooth spans a larger arc on the pitch diameter).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-18-2011 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:16 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pete_Rockett
Where did you ultimately get it done here in Atlanta and what did they charge?

FWIW, I've had bad gear installs by so-called experts in L.A. in a 9-inch. There is sloppy work done everywhere.

As to breaking in gears properly, millions of cars are sold every year with people taking them right off the lot and going on their merry way. If gear break-in was so important (I'm not talking about towing, which owner's manuals often say to refrain from for 500 miles), why aren't cars gears howling from the factory?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by JAMAMAN
Hey Tim, is there such a thing as the gears getting damaged from the noise I explained and failing to work. Cause I will put up with the noise, but I was wondering if mechanically gears are indestructible. Any input from anyone would be great
Your teeth were not meshing properly
and if you drove it any distance, the
teeth are now worn in that spot and
reshimming them only moves the contact
patch to the correct location on the gears
teeth. Once they have taken a wear pattern
in the wrong contact patch and then moved
to the correct contact patch with the proper
shimming, if these patches overlap, you have
trouble and noise.
Motives are the noisiest gears out there.
And very few people know how to properly set-up a rear end.
Yet there are thousands getting paid to do it everyday.

http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=91&viewfile...fferential.pdf
Pinion pre-load is a tricky thing...
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=93&viewfile...inion Seal.pdf
Old 03-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
As to breaking in gears properly, millions of cars are sold every year with people taking them right off the lot and going on their merry way. If gear break-in was so important (I'm not talking about towing, which owner's manuals often say to refrain from for 500 miles), why aren't cars gears howling from the factory?
I can think of a couple of possible reasons . . .

(1) The factory assembly line is presumably mechanized and more consistent. Plus at the OE level it's easier to scrap a gearset that can't be brought into spec and just grab another ring & pinion. Which begs the question of what happens to at least the marginal rejects that almost but don't quite meet Ford's standards???

(2) People actually pay enough attention to what they assume is only the engine's break in period - or at least drive gently enough long enough - to get the gears broken in.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-21-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:19 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gothand
Where did you ultimately get it done here in Atlanta and what did they charge?

FWIW, I've had bad gear installs by so-called experts in L.A. in a 9-inch. There is sloppy work done everywhere.

Same question. I'm still needing some 3.73's for my CAMs.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM
Pete_Rockett
2nd Gear Member

I have had it done twice and will not recommend either place. I have been told that MV Performance in Statham can do it but I have no personal experience with them.

Quick Reply: Gear Drama / Please Read