Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help me spend $1000 on my 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Default Help me spend $1000 on my 2011 5.0

Recently purchased a black 2011 GT coupe off of ebay with 5050 miles, saddle leather interior, Shelby steering wheel, Shelby SVT 19" rims with Goodyear F1 Supercar tires (non-Brembo car), California Special shifter, Corsca mufflers, Silverhorse quarter window louvers, tinted windows, and Ford Blue valve covers. I need to make this car mine, if you know what I mean and I have set a budget of around $1000 to spend on parts. I am mainly concerned with performance 1st, looks a close 2nd. Things I am considering are: PVC oil separator, shock tower brace, CAI, Tune, chin spoiler, short-throw shifter, etc. The 2 that I am the most confused about are the CAI and tune. I have been searching the forums looking for answers. Forgive me, this is my first modern muscle car, and first Ford for that matter. I have a 67 and 69 firebird parked in the garage too. I'll do all the work myself. Thanks!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:44 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

What are you confused about with the CAI and tune? Goto Americanmuscle.com and order their CAI/Tuner kit and you'll get an intake a tune designed for your mods (you'll also tell them what else you have done to the car). You install the CAI and plug the tuner in under your dash, upload the tune, and you're set! You can also take off the speed limiter, rev limiter, adjust A/F and a couple other things.

I don't know about the 5.0s, but on the S197 4.6's, CAI and a tune yielded around 30whp!
Old 03-27-2011, 06:17 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

As far as the CAI and Tune go, there are just so many to choose from. Some CAI's require tunes, some don't, plastic, metal, carbon fiber, etc. The motor is stock, only aftermarket mufflers. It is also a 3.73 geared car.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
As far as the CAI and Tune go, there are just so many to choose from. Some CAI's require tunes, some don't, plastic, metal, carbon fiber, etc. The motor is stock, only aftermarket mufflers. It is also a 3.73 geared car.
The 3.73 is a decent gear between the lackluster 3.55 and the all-out 4.10's.

With that being said, do some reading and educate yourself. Do not be in a hurry to just jump and buy what someone says.

For me, I stuck with the FRPP CAI. With a 93-race tune (Go go Bama!!) and my stock 3.55's, I was more then impressed with what it did.

So, you have $1000 bucks,

CAI/Tuner will set you back about $600 (roughly) leaving you with $400. You could take the $400 and get new springs or you could take that and get a nice shifter of your choice.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:52 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

If it were me, I'd go with the Steeda CAI with a tuner and a Barton shifter. That may run you slightly north of $1k, but totally worth it.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:39 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed is an exceptional speed shop and have some nice cai and tuner packages for the 5.0. They are very hands on as they compete in the NMRA so whatever part they sell they have first hand experience.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Lupo222
2nd Gear Member

Location: Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I don't about for the 5.0s but on my 4.6 I love the SCT Xcal and my Steeda CAI...And You can't go wrong with Bama Tuning...They've done great things just by telling them the mods and then giving them my A/Fs!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:40 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
Recently purchased a black 2011 GT coupe off of ebay with 5050 miles, saddle leather interior, Shelby steering wheel, Shelby SVT 19" rims with Goodyear F1 Supercar tires (non-Brembo car), California Special shifter, Corsca mufflers, Silverhorse quarter window louvers, tinted windows, and Ford Blue valve covers. I need to make this car mine, if you know what I mean and I have set a budget of around $1000 to spend on parts. I am mainly concerned with performance 1st, looks a close 2nd. Things I am considering are: PVC oil separator, shock tower brace, CAI, Tune, chin spoiler, short-throw shifter, etc. The 2 that I am the most confused about are the CAI and tune. I have been searching the forums looking for answers. Forgive me, this is my first modern muscle car, and first Ford for that matter. I have a 67 and 69 firebird parked in the garage too. I'll do all the work myself. Thanks!
A cold air and tune is going to be the best bang for the buck and be well under your 1,000 dollar budget.

With the money left over you could do a shifter to complement the driving enjoyment you will get out of the cold air and tune package.

Here is a thread with a bunch of testimonials on our cold air and our latest tuning package. http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...wesome-491233/

You can also check out the package here with more testimonials: Steeda 2011 5.0 Mustang Power Pak

We also have a great shifter for the vehicle as well. Here's are some customer testimonials on it here: http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...review-488898/

Here is the direct product page with more testimonials: 2011 Mustang Tri-Ax Short Throw Shifter

As a reminder forum members get improved pricing over what on our web store. Simply PM me for the pricing.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all of the input so far! This is a totally new experience for me. I'm used to tuning a car with a screw driver, not a computer! Can't wait for the car to get here!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:48 PM
jlwdvm
1st Gear Member

Well, been reading that the tune will void the factory warranty. Don't know if 20-30 horse power is worth the risk since the car basically has a full factory warranty left. I like the looks of the chin spoiler that American Muscle has. the previous owner already replaced the factory shifter with the California Special shifter model. I haven't felt it yet, but I imagine he did it mostly for looks. Still thinking about a shock tower brace and CAI without the tune. Any other suggestions? Thanks for the input so far!

Quick Reply: Help me spend $1000 on my 2011 5.0