Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2011 GT-Base model w/3.55-good enough performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:27 PM
jacjacatk

Originally Posted by barryg
Cool thanks for the info. You even handled your trade over email?
Yep, they had me fill out the guaranteed trade-in on autotrader, and the numbers it spit out (I had two cars going in) were actually slightly better than trade-in values I'd calculated elsewhere on-line and better than the quotes I'd already gotten from Carmax and initial lowball offers from other dealers. They even ended up giving me a little more than the autotrader quotes, too. Probably didn't hurt that they were a relatively rural dealer with a market for low-cost used cars, so they weren't planning on wholesaling my two older 100K milers.

The whole deal was so easy and straightforward, they've earned a customer for life.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:10 PM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by barryg
Am I really missing out on anything other than cosmetics (bigger wheels, leather..etc) by getting the base model with only 3.55 gears as the only option?

I know the Brembos stop better and suspension is tweaked some with that option.....but the 2011 now has the 2010 track pak as the standard suspension so base model should handle well.

My local dealer has a black base GT manual with 3.55 for $28,890.00 after rebate. Under 30K is attractive to me.

I really don't like leather....and although I like the look of the Brembo wheel package...the 18" are fine too.

And if I'm not tracking it and using really as just a daily driver to enjoy...am I missing out on much from a performance perspective?
I would sit in both and see how you feel.You could get a Premium Base for the price if the Base GT price you were quoted.
Really a personal choice.I sat in both,i knew after sitting in the Premium that i preferred it over the the Base GT.I ended up getting a few other options after looking for a Base Premium.I was still under 30k which is what i was shooting for.
I'm not a big leather fan either,but i liked the way it felt when i sat in it,i liked the better stereo.i liked the my color and the sync i really liked.
I think their are quite a few differences and for me,i just felt i was getting a more complete car with the premium.
Good luck in your choice!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:29 PM
barryg
1st Gear Member

Looks like this may not be a good idea. I need to put my dogs in the car from time to time....dog park visits..etc. They both will easily fit in the back seats (20 and 30lbs) and I can put a tarp down but they're kinda hyper back there too. Why I want cloth really. I do this with my Focus sedan now...no worries.

My g/f is not into putting them in the back of her Infiniti much so the Mustang would be used for it. I don't know I want to deal with that. Plus gas prices suck here....$4/gallon for 87. Premium is like $4.22/gallon. I get great mileage in the Focus.....never got better than 16-18 in my '08 GT in mixed driving. I need to think about this....just not sure I want another gas guzzler....and it will be as I don't do 65mph hwy rides.

Last edited by barryg; 04-01-2011 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dewyrussler
Good idea about the coupon. I didn't use it, but a lot of folks have and saved some $$. I used USAA auto buying program. It's similar to AOL service, Costco, and others in that the price is set. I had a firm price for everything before I even went to the dealer. And when I wrote the check, the price was exactly what we had agreed upon before I went to pick it up...no surprises.

Good luck and keep us posted.
I used USAA auto circle as well, makes things sooo much easier.