Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Did I just get a lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:12 AM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

Default Did I just get a lemon?

SO my car need a new gas tank, New Shaker 500, and New WinShild Wipers, and a new plastic bolt in the trunk for the holder (I have no I dea what that is), but my car is driving perfectly again finaly. So I toock the car on a road trip (just me and the car), and I toped her out a few times.I don't think Ford builds Quality Products, I really don't think I am going to buy another mustang in the future, I love the cheap power, but I don't want a car that's going to stay in the garage every day. But, I think I just may have got a lemon.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17396/7AE60A44DE7A47D4AFCE61F2D3D2C22C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-28-2005, 05:03 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Did I just get a lemon?

What part of "cheap power" didn't you understand? Of COURSE there are problems... squeaks, skips, shimmys, and shakes... but that is the Mustang's mantra! But even though your tunk didn't work right... and your stereo skipped... and your wipers sucked... you STILL got a 300HP car for cheap!

And didn't you WRECK your car right after you got it???
Old 08-28-2005, 12:48 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

You didn't get a lemon...You got a mustang LOL

Most of us had to have something done...but these are all minor things. BTW, the plastic bolt is exactly that...a plastic piece that holds the trunk trim in place

You'll have some squeeks and rattles...but the car is totally cool. I guess you could always head down to your local Toyota dealer and buy yourself a dependable minivan ?
Old 08-28-2005, 04:22 PM
theshu

You know "jaxbelleil" I have been thinking the same thing but as others have said we bought a nice muscle car for a decent price. You get what you pay for, to keep the price down they had to skimp in some area's like the interior. My issues so far have been:

1. Shaker replacement. (TSB)(Fixed)
2. Drivers side door handle dis-lodging from door. (Not yet replaced because Ford says it's hard to get the part - going on 2 month's now)
3. Front strut issue with knock at low speed turns. (TSB)(Not fixed)
4. Both front leather seat finish issue. (Not fixed)
5. CHEAP carpet - Only have 6K miles on it and already a hole worn in the carpet next to the gas pedal. (Got the dealer working on getting the interior carpet replaced on warrenty. Not sure if it's going to happen)
6. Rear fender plastic under car mounts broke loose. (Fixed)

Old 08-29-2005, 06:49 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: theshu

You know "jaxbelleil" I have been thinking the same thing but as others have said we bought a nice muscle car for a decent price. You get what you pay for, to keep the price down they had to skimp in some area's like the interior. My issues so far have been:

1. Shaker replacement. (TSB)(Fixed)
2. Drivers side door handle dis-lodging from door. (Not yet replaced because Ford says it's hard to get the part - going on 2 month's now)
3. Front strut issue with knock at low speed turns. (TSB)(Not fixed)
4. Both front leather seat finish issue. (Not fixed)
5. CHEAP carpet - Only have 6K miles on it and already a hole worn in the carpet next to the gas pedal. (Got the dealer working on getting the interior carpet replaced on warrenty. Not sure if it's going to happen)
6. Rear fender plastic under car mounts broke loose. (Fixed)

That sucks, but nothing compared to what mine had. All is well now and on with the mods!
Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

As it was mentioned earlier, "Got new shaker; it skips too."
Old 08-29-2005, 12:33 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Every car is going to have its issues. Look at the facts:

You payed 26k for a 300HP car. It has wonderous styling and gets attention wherever you go.

You're mad about a few technical glitches (on a brand new car from top to bottom) that the dealer has actually corrected for you?

I've had all the same problems and it's best to take them in-stride. These are wonderful cars and if you bash them for a few minor issues such as this then you shouldn't be driving cars in the first place.

No offense of course, but if you wanted something that was going to give you no **** you should have bought the minivan mentioned above. If you want to have any kind of fun on the road then you made the right decision.

You've got to balance your expectations for Performance, Price, Safety, and Reliability. So far, the 'Stangs seem to be the perfect balance.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:41 PM
gforceX1

it really sounds kinda petty that ya think you got a lemon, EVERY new car will have some kind of small, minor issue in the first year...that dont make it a lemon, what makes a car a lemon is if it falls apart sitting in your garage. Even drag cars, show cars, nascars have issues from what? Being driven. Me, I only had one issue. A valve stem went bad and i had a flat tire. Had to ride on the rim a few feet to get clear of traffic and change it, luckilly the rim wasnt damaged, but the tire was unsafe now. Only had 3k miles on it. Dealer replaced the valve AND got me a new tire at no charge (stem is on warranty, tire is not), which they didnt have to do. Tottal time out of my favorite toy...4 days. Nothing is fool proof and even the unsinkable titanic sank. I would be more worried bout some mustang haters or jealous ****'s vandalizing your ride then the quality of its parts and assembly! Get in your car, drive it, baby it, enjoy it...u cant do nothing bout something going wrong with it...just get it fixed and move on!
Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

SO my car need a new gas tank, New Shaker 500, and New WinShild Wipers, and a new plastic bolt in the trunk for the holder (I have no I dea what that is), but my car is driving perfectly again finaly. So I toock the car on a road trip (just me and the car), and I toped her out a few times.I don't think Ford builds Quality Products, I really don't think I am going to buy another mustang in the future, I love the cheap power, but I don't want a car that's going to stay in the garage every day. But, I think I just may have got a lemon.

It's also the first year model run of a NEW car from the ground up. Most first year runs of ANY car have problems, even the imports. My Stang had a few hiccups when I first bought it new. Leaking rear main seal, cracked power steering pulley, squeaky outer trim panel. Those got fixed and now 90K later, not a single problem. Just regular maintenance.

If you're concerned about problems, don't ever buy the first year of a totaly redesigned model, there will be problems. I don't care what you buy.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:14 AM
madmike
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

ORIGINAL: jaxbelleil

It's also the first year model run of a NEW car from the ground up. Most first year runs of ANY car have problems, even the imports. My Stang had a few hiccups when I first bought it new. Leaking rear main seal, cracked power steering pulley, squeaky outer trim panel. Those got fixed and now 90K later, not a single problem. Just regular maintenance.

If you're concerned about problems, don't ever buy the first year of a totaly redesigned model, there will be problems. I don't care what you buy.
Derf00, you mentioned a squeaky outer trim panel, did the noise originate from the rear of the car, like it was coming from the trunk? I've got a squeak from that area that's driving me nuts!

Quick Reply: Did I just get a lemon?