Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need help with exhaust!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM
Power-House

Default Need help with exhaust!!

Hello everyone, So I have a slp loudmouth axle back and a slp catted x pipe. I just got off the phone with the people that are going to do the install for me and they told me with the lm1's it won't pass inspection, it won't be legal, it will attract unwanted attention from police, and I don't want all this to happen, I'm only 17 and can't risk losing my license. So they told me that they can throw on a muffler for me. They have 2 options a magna flow or flowmaster. So I guess i have to put one of these on, what I want to know is will this make my lm1's sound crappy? Will I lose hp? Will they have to cut my lm1 pipe or is it just welded on? Thanks for anyone who can help me out! Sorry about all the questions at once.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The whole purpose of the LM's (or any aftermarket cat or axle back) is for better exhaust note. I wouldn't let the installer (BTW, why don't you do it yourself? These parts are all bolted and easy to do) do squat other than install it as designed.

As far as inspection and the cops, you should be able to pass inspection and if you see a cop, just cruise past and don't get on it. Someone should smack the installer.

The stock exhaust flows very well. Letting the installer put on some garbage, restrictive muffler is a contradiction to your goals.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM
Power-House

Originally Posted by Nuke
The whole purpose of the LM's (or any aftermarket cat or axle back) is for better exhaust note. I wouldn't let the installer (BTW, why don't you do it yourself? These parts are all bolted and easy to do) do squat other than install it as designed.

As far as inspection and the cops, you should be able to pass inspection and if you see a cop, just cruise past and don't get on it. Someone should smack the installer.

The stock exhaust flows very well. Letting the installer put on some garbage, restrictive muffler is a contradiction to your goals.
I am not very mechanically inclined at all. I don't have any thing to jack my car up or anything the most I ever did was change tires. But yes I agree with you completely. I am just worried about passing inspection, And like the speed limit here in canada for most roads it 90 km/h, which is usually 100-110 km/h because cops won't stop you for doing a little over the limit but how loud would the lm1's be doing about 100 - 110 crusing speeds? I don't know if this matters but I have an automatic. Heard exhaust is louder in standard or something. Just throwing it out there.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

The exhaust will only be obnoxious (if you can consider that sweet sound obnoxious) and head-turning under load. As far as inspection, why not talk to a few shops that do inspections and ask? I'm sure you can find someone that's familiar with SLP's.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I would leave on the stock catted H and just put on the SLP LM. You don't really need a jack at all just a socket set with 13 MM and 15 MM sockets. It should take less than an hr to do it.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Power-House

I think i'm just going to say the hell with it and just tell them to leave the mufflers off. I'll get it inspected before I put the loudmouths on, and ill just put the stock mufflers on next year to pass inspection then remove them and put the lm1's back. Hopefully these things are tolerable at normal driving speeds to avoid police attention.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
shad2009
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Power-House
I think i'm just going to say the hell with it and just tell them to leave the mufflers off. I'll get it inspected before I put the loudmouths on, and ill just put the stock mufflers on next year to pass inspection then remove them and put the lm1's back. Hopefully these things are tolerable at normal driving speeds to avoid police attention.
there's no need to do that...loudmouth's actually look like they have a muffler(they are gutted out) I have a straight pipe axleback and i passed inspection, and i drive by cops all the time with my exhaust being loud...it all depends on if you're being a jack@$$, then they will pull you over(like the ricers do)...go to a different shop and have them install it...this place you speak of may try to rape you for pricing...my friend has slp's and never gets pulled over...tell that shop to take a hike
Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM
Power-House

Originally Posted by shad2009
there's no need to do that...loudmouth's actually look like they have a muffler(they are gutted out) I have a straight pipe axleback and i passed inspection, and i drive by cops all the time with my exhaust being loud...it all depends on if you're being a jack@$$, then they will pull you over(like the ricers do)...go to a different shop and have them install it...this place you speak of may try to rape you for pricing...my friend has slp's and never gets pulled over...tell that shop to take a hike

You could be right man, I never thought of it that way. Kind of nervous now because I don't know of any other shops around. I live in a pretty small area. I'm sure ill figure something out though.
Just a quick question off hand, I got that x pipe for power purposes, would it make the car much louder? It's catted by the way.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:27 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

I've got a similiar setup as far as noise level goes(pypes pype bomb) and I have had no problems here. Just don't get on it hard in front of policemen and you'll be fine. And as far as the xpipe is concerned, you won't get much power out of it but it will make your exhaust note louder/raspier and in terms of passing the inspection it's a good thing you got a catted xpipe, lol. Install it and enjoy it!
Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

dang if the loudmouths wont pass emissions or inspection, Canada is really strict on emissions.

btw, for axel backs, if you can turn your wrist right and turn it left, you can do the install. It was the first mod I ever did to a car and was pretty straight forward. Get a socket wrench and have at it.

Quick Reply: Need help with exhaust!!