Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What next....?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:42 PM
HitandRunDriver

Default What next....?

I just threw on my loudmouths last friday, took maybe 30 mins to get them on but an hour to line them up correctly...Anyway, car sounds great and i've got the itch for more. I believe my next mod will be the JLT intake/sct tuner combo off AM seeing as it just went on sale for the month, about $530-$540 iirc. After that though I'm not 100% sure of the direction I want to go and would appreciate some input from the more seasoned members here. My budget would probably be topped at $500 and i would purchase the parts about a month after the Intake and tuner come in.

A couple ideas I had were an H.I.D. swap, short throw shifter, BBK 62mm throttle body, or underdrive pulleys. I'd be open to suspension mods but am not sure what I'd want to look for just yet.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Dens2010GT

Well, i am had the EXACT same set up for my 2010 right after i got it :P i went with the throttle body and shifter at the same time. IMO i would say grab the shifter. It is a night and day difference with the stock shifter. I grabbed the Hurst from Lethal Performance, and I LOVE it. What ever you choose though, just be warned, Mods are like tattoos, the more you get, The more you want :P
Old 05-03-2011, 10:50 PM
BigRed1988

Definately the cai/tuner combo. A pair of Steeda UDP's would be nice also.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:28 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

definitely do the CAI/Tuner then slap in some 4.10s or MGW short shifter.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Definitely CAI/Tune next, then either 4.10 or 3.73 gear. Forget the TB unless you're doing big power mods
Old 05-04-2011, 11:25 AM
HitandRunDriver

I know 4.10's are going to get me off the line quicker but I do quite a bit of highway driving so i'm going to hold off on em for as long as i can, probably til I get enough saved for a commuter and i can have the mustang out on the weekends and such. JLT intake/tuner is definitely next. I'm torn between Hurst and MGW on the shifter, but that and the Steeda UDP's could very well be next....unless I crack and get the rear decklid panel/new grille....decisions decisions....
Old 05-04-2011, 11:34 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

I would say MGW over the Hurst. Most everyone that has a MGW says that it feels more solid and everyone that has one likes it. I will definitely be getting the MGW after I get my 4.10s
Old 05-04-2011, 12:14 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

+1 on ditching the TB unless you intend to add cams and LT's at some point.

I'd say UDP's, gears, aluminum DS. HID's aren't big on my list, especially since people don't truly understand the visibility impact let alone the "make-me-want-to-bust-your-headlights-with-my-bat" impact when you go past the 5000K range.

Also, with the added power from the CAI & tune, you may find that hooking up with the stock rubber is a problem. Wider, stickier tires 1st, then other suspension mods IF needed, IMO.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM
HitandRunDriver

The car came with stickier tires out back and the BFG's up front, haven't had a problem keeping grip unless I'm actually trying to spin them. I do someday plan on ordering Kooks LT's and catted x-pipe so the TB is still on my list...albeit maybe further down the road. I hear you on the H.I.D.'s and the dbag's that you usually see them on around my neighborhood. I used to have a Tahoe, but did a projector headlight swap and the difference was phenomenal....granted I was running 6K bulbs, and not the 12K usually seen around here in the lows/fogs of every lifted truck....
Old 05-04-2011, 06:38 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the MGW shifter! I love mine! I am partial to the 4300k HIDs though, I love the "pure" white light (has a blue tint when first started up). Got mine from retrosolutions.com, great kit. I'm with everyone else here, your next mod should be CAI/tuner. In fact, depending on how long you want to wait for your CAI, I'll sell you my Steeda CAI for $150 when I get back from this deployment. It's just been taking up space in my basement since I got my KB. I've been meaning to slap it on eBay.

Last edited by SamsBlueGT; 05-04-2011 at 06:39 PM. Reason: grammar

Quick Reply: What next....?