Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got served by a ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 02:13 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Those lags that you are feeling is the torque control (I think that is what it is called). I experienced it as well. It's programmed to do that from the factory so less experienced drivers don't put their cars into the wall or ditch when banging through the gears. It really kills performance. Haven't felt it since I got my car tuned.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Oh ya I got another good one, I was driven along the same road as I did when I ran into the ISF that I beat and ran into this import (don't know what kind) that was nothing but paint primer and we both hit it hard from about 30 and I was shocked when I looked over at 90mph and the dude was still there, he had a turbo that was crazy loud. We both just looked at each other and slowed down, so don't ever judge a book by it's cover, I swore I was gonna dust that kid.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by Descena
i agree - i frown and wave off anyone that has a v8 or greater and has an automatic. part of racing, whether on the track or the street, is being able to hit the shifts at the right time. that's what makes you a good driver and a good racer. its 90% car, 10% driver - that 10% makes a difference when you cross that finishline in first- JMO

and everyone gets beat - ive beat every car i came into contact with, as stock, out here in germany until one day, this black sedan just completely buried me. and this guy knew it. it was some new mercedes, i believe. he was so far ahead of me it was difficult to make anything out. it was so embarrassing...
Apparently you aren't a drag racer, just about every high horsepower car at the dragstrip is an automatic, very rare to find one pushign over 700whp with a manual. I only know one person at my track who drives a manual with enough consistency to actually win more than occasionally, like i said, those people are very rare. I know several people who have changed their manuals out for autos for drag racing. no matter how good you think you are, you wont know until you hit the dragstrip how well you can shift, how well you can drive, that is on a road course. and auto-x is for kids who stole some cones from the road construction crew

Last edited by Mishri; 05-16-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:57 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 92hatchLX
Those lags that you are feeling is the torque control (I think that is what it is called). I experienced it as well. It's programmed to do that from the factory so less experienced drivers don't put their cars into the wall or ditch when banging through the gears. It really kills performance. Haven't felt it since I got my car tuned.
Actually, the stock tune's torque management algorithm is designed to reduce drivetrain shock in order to minimize Ford's drivetrain warranty claims.
Ford does not care if Mustang owners pile up their rides, since insurance companies are the ones who have to deal with that.