Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got served by a ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

Default Got served by a ???

Just out around the county one of the few two lane sections where you can have a go from a stoplight (rural area).

So this nice Lexus Sedan pulls up i suspected a 2011 0r 12 ISF at least looking at the website ...i got better look at the back of his car as he had that dam 8 speed and paddle shifter w/h the auto trans.

In the excitement I think i slipped it into advancetrac mode ,traction control off.

So he waits for me to roll away from the line and staying even , About the time i stab first and pull second he'd already took a car length plus. 3rd gee i was holding and gaining ground till I shifted into 4th where he seemed to pull again ...At this point we were coming up on opposing traffic at a buck plus so we eased out of it and the lanes merged and no spot for rematch

I learned the rev limiter cut me off a t 7 k and for some reason after a few of the shifts there was a lag of sorts directly after the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts .

I thought i was getting back into the saddle again at 6 k since Dec ,,,, Getting a feel for the car .

This was friggin embarrassing. Sure the car is 20 k more but the hp and weight specs seemed real close to my 11 GT so , am i just getting old and slow or is this paddle shift Lexas the ultimate sleeper??? Geez a sedan even.

Its a small town and you pretty much see everybody nearly everyday....So I will have another chance ,I was thinking a tuner to start with......

Earllier on on 5 ---Yes right at 143 mph and not a pinch more , Id like to get past that with the tuner ,

So in the meanwhile,hide from the Lexus??!
Old 05-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

If it's the lexus you say I bet you may have even rolled up on a modded lexus.
On the other hand... I have never run one of those and I bet they have some real pep to them.

If you are hell bent on beating him it would be good to know your mods.
If you have not yet... get a CAI and tune.
Also if you don't have at LEAST 3.73 gears... get them or some 4.10s so you can
get an early jump.

After those mods you are looking at spending some bigger bucks lol.
And dayum man... dont race him till your both at top speed.
Do it for about a quarter mi.
If youre ahead after that just hit the breaks to tell him the race is over.

Oh and P.S.
Race from a dig man!
Roll racing is B.S. in my opinion!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Lexus is a great car. If you want to street race, then you need to know what your going against. Otherwise things like this happen.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:08 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

A stock Lexus ISF can do 0-60 in the low-mid 4's, and the 1/4 in the high 12's. It's definitely no slouch with a good driver mod.
Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I took one out on hwy 98 in Florida, didn't blow his doors off but beat him and I'm assuming there was nothing done to that car. At 115mph I had a solid 1 1/2 car lead before I let up.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A cAI & custom tune on your 5.0 will yield you real-life 30-40 RWHP. Add about another 20 if you're not over the 15k-25k mile mark since the 5.0's seem to gain some devent ponies over an early break-in period. Even then, you may still lose but not by much.

And that 143 and no more point; was that in top gear? Not comparing, but I could get more top speed out of my GT manual in 4th if I wasn't redlining at 142MPH than I can in 5th (more torque to overcome drag).
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

This is surprising the way those 11s are running at the track around here. I know the street is different, but I've never seen one run a 12...always 11 something.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

The 143 was in 6th . I just know the car was loafing along and I got in her and she pulled nice without stopping at 143 . So it wasn't redlining at all in 6th. I had heard on the forum its a factory tune that limits some of the 11 GTs to that top ....I am sure by how it was pulling it could at least cough out another 5-10 mph.

I feel like less of a looser seeing the supercharged 08 slapped one of those Lexus.

Its it traditional in street racing now to just run a aprox quarter mile ,whoevers ahead won?

Id drove a few races where some interesting things happen at the 1/2 mile and on mark ...
Yes i have 3.73s .
Location forgiving enough , maybe late at night ... no traffic let em rip .

Im not much for racing "from the digs" with this car yet.

During the cooler weather id experienced a lot of axle hop, so if from the digs is of the line .....I was hesitant to bounce my tires off in ft of everybody. Have lowering the car an inch ft 1.5 rear and rouch or most appropriate control arms in the plans for near future .

This is obviously a rich mans hobby , at 6 thousand miles I had already rotated tires once and they were at 6/32 all around.

I cant imagine big smoky "drive it like u stole it" burnouts at the $435 a tire . Now if I could get P zero like performance (lateral grip) from a less expensive tire ,Id be a little more into spinning the tires .

Whats the widest tire that can be squeezed onto the 9inch wide factory brembo rim? I was hoping to replace the 245 zr with a 275 or is that too wide for that rim?

So Im over it the tears are wiped up .. But sure like to identify the power "pauses" after the 1-2 shift and again from 3-4 . there was an obvious hesitation . Like i was saying i believe i had slipped it into traction control off -advancetrak on mode.

other " testing " id done with standing quarters and getting my shifts dialed i noticed the same lag or pause at times. Don't know if i must completely disable all electronic stuff to get it to give what its got.

For sure the limiter is stepping in right at 7k . I hadn't done any higher rpm beyond 5600,6000 till my motor was what I considered broke in .

Do you ever really know what you are rolling up on ... supercharged, maybe someone w/h a lil nitrous kit ect.?

What a Lexus ,and Id like to hear your experience if you encounter one.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Well I'll share my story with you. I worked at Hurlburt Field Air Force Base in Florida and I had to take hwy 98 for 18 miles to get home each day. I was driven along and I look in my rear view mirror and the guy in the ISF is weaving in and out of traffic blasting past people. On this part of 98 there are stop lights about every 2-3 miles and when he got in the lane next to me we just happen to end up at one of those lights. I thought about pumping the motor but I thought I'd just see what he did first. I took off really slow and he started jumpin hard, I was still in first doin about 10mph and smashed the gas, I took a half car on him from the get go because I went all out before he did but even after that I was able to get a car length on him up to about 115mph then I let off and when we got to the next light there was traffic.

I don't know if he heard the sound of that M90 but I don't see how he didn't when I killed it in first. I never thought someone would buy a Lexus and mod it but from what I understand it's pretty common with the ISF.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Grey2011GT
1st Gear Member

Default Got served by a ???

Thanks for the details .
That white 08 of yours certainly would squash my 11 in its stock form as is.
Noticed that m90 supercharger,mmm thats gotta help .

Good news though,another friend just bought the same exact car.., the lexus I lost to.He's 175 miles a way but I expect we could do well,some....research.

At least id get a second chance to go the Lexus and figure out what the heck is robbing my hp . Possibly even the factory tune?
As decades fly by and my 3rd and most powerful Mustang in my hands- perhaps I am not quite the shifter I once was.

Im guessing some event recorder exists,some boat racer buddies has demo'd an msr tach that played back the audio and showed rpm.

So much for "never been beat". Had to happen sooner or later
Esp with every manufacture it seems has some 450-500 plus hp supercar version of their best performance model.

Quick Reply: Got served by a ???