Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Slp headers

Old 05-22-2011, 10:24 PM
hemery13

Default Slp headers

Ok I've made up my mind I want the slp pro flow x pipe and loudmouths, but their headers are $1000 is that high compared 2 other and could i use a different brand of headers?
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

is the $1000 for just the headers or a header and mid-pipe combo. if it is just the header, AM sells that for $900(your welcome AM). But if the price is for both than it is average. The mid-pipe is typically set up for that specific header. you can still use the loudmouth mufflers, but if you want the mid-pipe you will have to go with the SLP headers. if you do decide to go with headers, don't forget to order all the parts that go with it, o2 extensions,etc.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:35 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Things to make sure the kit includes/buy:

Header Bolts
Gaskets
O2 extensions
The Mid Pipe - you need to pair them or have a shop do the custom work.
Catalytic Converters - if you have to pass an emissions test.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 PM
usc49erfan
2nd Gear Member

don't forget to get a tune as well. A lot of people, myself included, when they first want to do headers as the first upgrade forget that you need all of the things adj86 listed and a tune. that $1000 for the headers can quickly turn into close to $2000 after it is all done.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:34 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by usc49erfan
don't forget to get a tune as well. A lot of people, myself included, when they first want to do headers as the first upgrade forget that you need all of the things adj86 listed and a tune. that $1000 for the headers can quickly turn into close to $2000 after it is all done.
That's a very good point. If you forget to get a tune and run long tube headers, you'll constantly pop a CEL for "slow to respond" O2 sensors, because they're farther away from the exhaust ports. That's why there's extensions as well. When I got my SLP headers(love them btw) they came with all the hardware mentioned by others here.

About the only thing I don't quite like about my headers is with my lowered 'Stang they're the lowest part of the car, and I have scraped my SLP cats on many a speed bump.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Do you absolutely have to have a tune? I don't think its necessary. Is it a good idea - absolutely.

Example : I needed to pass emissions, and the tunes I use turn off a bunch of the emissions systems that need to be listed as ready. I flashed the tune back to stock drove for 50ish miles and passed emissions. Didn't throw any codes, but obviously a dip in performance. Do you need a tune? Not necessarily, but you should definitely have one. I would strongly suggest getting one, they make a huge difference.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adj86
Do you absolutely have to have a tune? I don't think its necessary. Is it a good idea - absolutely.

Example : I needed to pass emissions, and the tunes I use turn off a bunch of the emissions systems that need to be listed as ready. I flashed the tune back to stock drove for 50ish miles and passed emissions. Didn't throw any codes, but obviously a dip in performance. Do you need a tune? Not necessarily, but you should definitely have one. I would strongly suggest getting one, they make a huge difference.
Well my current tune occasionally throws codes (p0133 IIRC). I asked my tuner (Blow By Racing) if they could fix it and they added a little extra delay in the o2 sensor reading to compensate. Throws codes less now. I would think that if the computer still thinks the sensors are in the stock location it'll throw codes more often.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:32 PM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SamsBlueGT
Well my current tune occasionally throws codes (p0133 IIRC). I asked my tuner (Blow By Racing) if they could fix it and they added a little extra delay in the o2 sensor reading to compensate. Throws codes less now. I would think that if the computer still thinks the sensors are in the stock location it'll throw codes more often.
Huh, I guess that speaks to the diversity of longtube header design. I've not thrown that code without a tune, but then again I have a different header setup. I get tunes from American Muscle with my handheld tuner SF3, and they turn the 02s off, who knows. Yours works for you. Mine works for me. Just wanting to give the OP some perspective on the whole longtube header situation.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:45 PM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by adj86
Huh, I guess that speaks to the diversity of longtube header design. I've not thrown that code without a tune, but then again I have a different header setup. I get tunes from American Muscle with my handheld tuner SF3, and they turn the 02s off, who knows. Yours works for you. Mine works for me. Just wanting to give the OP some perspective on the whole longtube header situation.
I agree that they're designed quite differently, that probably has a lot to do with it. I wonder if your o2 sensor locations are farther upstream than mine...

One note on what you said, AM doesn't turn ALL the o2 sensors off, probably just the rear ones. If you didn't have any o2 sensors on your fuel injection system would never be able to be in open loop mode.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
adj86
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SamsBlueGT
I agree that they're designed quite differently, that probably has a lot to do with it. I wonder if your o2 sensor locations are farther upstream than mine...

One note on what you said, AM doesn't turn ALL the o2 sensors off, probably just the rear ones. If you didn't have any o2 sensors on your fuel injection system would never be able to be in open loop mode.
They may be, mine are right after the cats which are pretty much the beginning of the mid pipe. And yeah they turn off the rear 02s. I guess I was operating under the assumption that leaving the front one's on was understood. Good clarification, thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slp headers