Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Another "whipple threw the belt" member

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Default Another "whipple threw the belt" member

Yep, it happened to me now. And in the middle of nowhere of course, and I hadn't yet got a spare belt for 'just in case'.

So, the immediate question is what tools would be needed to do a roadside replacement?

Some thoughts are that it would be good to have a belt routing diagram in the car (the owners manual has one, but the Whipple routing is just a smidge different). An electric water pump would have allowed me to maybe make it to the next town before the battery died (anyone know how far you would be able to go without the alternator?). An 8 rib setup and/or better tensioner could have probably prevented this, right?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:19 AM
SamsBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

I am pretty sure as long as you have the stock belt tensioner (my KB does, not sure about the Whipple) all you'd need for a roadside replacement is the belt (of course) and IIRC a 3/8" drive socket wrench or breaker bar, which would be used to pull the tensioner so you can fit the belt in its place. Then slowly let the tensioner go and all should be good!

Not sure what would have prevented this, but if your belt isn't destroyed you should be able to put it back on provided you have the wrench needed
Old 06-13-2011, 04:37 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Hey Dan....Just do yourself a huge favour and consider getting a Steeda-Whipple 10 Rib Belt System'. (See promo on You Tube) It's a little pricey, but well worth it. I've been running this system for almost 3 years now, and haven't thrown or shreaded one belt.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:16 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

If you don't want to spend a month's salary on the belt drive system, consider a thump_rrr tensioner. I used to throw belts. Haven't thrown one since I installed my thump_rrr.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SamsBlueGT
I am pretty sure as long as you have the stock belt tensioner (my KB does, not sure about the Whipple) all you'd need for a roadside replacement is the belt (of course) and IIRC a 3/8" drive socket wrench or breaker bar, which would be used to pull the tensioner so you can fit the belt in its place. Then slowly let the tensioner go and all should be good!

Not sure what would have prevented this, but if your belt isn't destroyed you should be able to put it back on provided you have the wrench needed
Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Originally Posted by 07 GT E UPP
Hey Dan....Just do yourself a huge favour and consider getting a Steeda-Whipple 10 Rib Belt System'. (See promo on You Tube) It's a little pricey, but well worth it. I've been running this system for almost 3 years now, and haven't thrown or shreaded one belt.
It's ben on my wish list, but here in Californiastan, it sits in a gray area as far as being emission legal, so some smog (not all) shops would likely fail it on visual.

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
If you don't want to spend a month's salary on the belt drive system, consider a thump_rrr tensioner. I used to throw belts. Haven't thrown one since I installed my thump_rrr.
I'm thinking that or something like it is in the near term future.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:47 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

My buddy has a KB and used to throw belts on a consistent basis. Not sure which one, but he got an aftermarket tensioner and no more thrown belts.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Local friend who just installed a whipple is having the same issue. Shredded one belt, and part of another. Pulley alignment is proper, so seems to be due to the tensioner as well.

I'm running an aftermarket tensioner with my KB setup and have had no belt issues whatsoever; but the car's an automatic as well, which is easier on belts.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

how common is this? I have a new belt and haven't had any issues, but I don't beat my car up too bad
Old 06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

pulley alignment would be the 1st thing to check.
the belts just dont last that long with FI.
you should check periodically for wear.
how long did this belt last?
i have an 8 rib kit and thumprrr tensioner. i've had the same belt for over 3 years.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
07VistaChicago
2nd Gear Member

I chewed one belt but it also took out my water pump, so I don't know what went first, but I noticed that my right side idler pulley was really wobbly (aka out of alignment!!) so I did some investigating and noticed that they are not centered, th mount point is off to one side. So I flipped it and it reduced the wobble to almost none. I have heard of other having the wobbly idler pulley too. Maybe this is part of the issue?

Quick Reply: Another "whipple threw the belt" member