Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bama Tunes??? good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 09:33 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

I had a wonderful experience with Bama and AmericanMuscle. Shipping was fast and they got the CAI + tune to be quickly. Even when I gave them the wrong information, they were quick to get me new tunes within 24 hours.

No matter how good a company is, there will always be mistakes. Whether its a bad tune or a faulty tuner, crap happens.

All I know, is once I get my terminator, AmericanMuscle/Bama is where I am going to get my stuff from.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:33 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

I've had good experience with their tunes and customer service. I highly recommend them.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:09 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet
I've only heard great things about Bama/AM, but I get to find out firsthand tomorrow! At least, if UPS pulls through.
Can't wait to hear what you think!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

AM experience for anything is always good from them.

Mailed tunes will still be hit or miss from time to time I think. But they've worked with me quickly each time I've asked.

I've called and gotten new ones from them about 5 times now, it's still pinging certain times now (lean). I've just kinda given up, as it's just gotta be something oddball with my car.

Pulled TB, cleaned, I even replaced my MAF sensor, thinking that might be the issue. Short of it being craptacular, I'm kinda in "f'it" mode with my JLT/tune at this time.

Point being, for a canned tune, they're the best you can get giving them no data to work from specific to your individual car.
Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wayne613
AM experience for anything is always good from them.

Mailed tunes will still be hit or miss from time to time I think. But they've worked with me quickly each time I've asked.

I've called and gotten new ones from them about 5 times now, it's still pinging certain times now (lean). I've just kinda given up, as it's just gotta be something oddball with my car.

Pulled TB, cleaned, I even replaced my MAF sensor, thinking that might be the issue. Short of it being craptacular, I'm kinda in "f'it" mode with my JLT/tune at this time.

Point being, for a canned tune, they're the best you can get giving them no data to work from specific to your individual car.
Hmmm... for a 3V, that's extremely odd. That's like one of my specialties. Wayne, PM me over your last name and let me look at your files. I just want to make sure everything was written properly. Do you have a wideband sensor? Just curious how you know that it's lean?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:21 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

I know there is a lot of forum members here that really like Bama but what about the likes of Brenspeed and the others that people dont mention. There customer service is second to none (brenspeed) from my experience. Great staff. All the times I have emailed chandler I have always gotten a response by the next day and when I called always answered my questions with honesty.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:54 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
Hmmm... for a 3V, that's extremely odd. That's like one of my specialties. Wayne, PM me over your last name and let me look at your files. I just want to make sure everything was written properly. Do you have a wideband sensor? Just curious how you know that it's lean?
Still hear da pingin' with hard acceleration, sometimes even in 2nd at WOT, but in 3rd pretty much all the time now that summer has hit. I have no idea why. It would only get a slight bit in 4th at WOT for some time there.

I'm fairly certain it's just something off from what you guys test with, to my car. Wish I knew what, but I've given up for now.

IM incoming.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 AM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

I searched for all the Wayne's with 2008's that bought Bama tunes and found someone with 316 in their email. It matches what you just sent me over PM, so I'll send over the edited tunes I did today when I get back to the office tomorrow morning. I looked through all the tunes and they're written correctly. It should be running a perfect air/fuel ratio of 12.85 at WOT, because the rest of the calibration looks awesome, including the MAF curve. This is what thousands of people are running without issues, so I do think it's something else. I do think that the fuel filter being dirty or throttle body being dirty may be causing it, but either way I am going to send over what I did.

I adjusted the timing back just a little bit in the upper RPM ranges, and targeted a 12.5 air/fuel ratio, which will make the combustion chambers a little cooler and keep from having pinging until you get a chance to clean the TB and get a new fuel filter. Also, I would try maybe filling up at another gas station.

After you clean both, and fill up at a new station, we can load the old tunes back in and see if it's good to go. Either way, the degree of timing that I'm pulling at WOT upper RPMs is barely going to affect horsepower at all. We're talking 3-4RWHP. It might be worth it just to keep it that way. Your call.

Easy fix! Hope this helps! I'm always here to help and respond. Shoot me over a message or just reply here and let me know if there's anything else you need!

Chris
Old 07-01-2011, 01:45 AM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMChrisRose
I searched for all the Wayne's with 2008's that bought Bama tunes and found someone with 316 in their email.
613, but close enough. Yeah, I've had the fuel filter replaced, and if my TB was any cleaner, I could eat sushi off the flaps. I've switched stations, and even the brand to see if that did anything...nothin'.

Of course I only like running the 93race one as well, as that gives me the best response, so perhaps changing to a less aggressive one might do it. But I'd rather ping.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-01-2011 at 06:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:37 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mikes_BLK_GT
Ford is trolling message boards and voided a guys warranty because they found on the net he had a tune. What I can tell you for sure is if you have an aftermarket tune and your engine blows Ford wont cover it, and they will go to great lengths to find out.
Precisely. You don't really think Deysha's here to help you, is she?

Anyway, AM tunes are great.

Quick Reply: Bama Tunes??? good or bad?