Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP cams with e-force?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP cams with e-force?

Just was wondering if anyone had put the ford hot rod cams in their mustang that has the E-force installed. If not can it be done? Also has anyone put in the optional airbox instead of keeping the stock air box.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:53 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

It can be done....but not advisable. Hot Rod cams have a profile designed for N/A applications. You'll lose power in you install them in a car with an supercharger. You can get supercharger cams though and that will help power, but I assume you're going for the rougher idle? A cam that's good for taking advantage of boost does not lend itself to a lopey idle, and vice versa.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:04 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Not sure of your RWHP goals, but with a good tune you can still get nice power out of the E-force. After upgrading to the 3.5 inch pulley along with GT500 pumps, I am at 455RWHP through the stock airbox. The key is a good dyno tune.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

thanks parchisi, yea the car still needs to be taken to a dyno. Upgrading the pulley and making that much horsepower im afraid of the tearing up the stock bottom end, or is it still pretty safe.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:48 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

I disagree the Hot Rods are not for N/A, they are a slightly more aggressive pattern then stock and will work well with a positive displacement blower.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:06 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

For the OP's benefit, more aggressive cam specs don't necessarily mean better for FI. More duration and lift will allow more intake charge into the cylinder, and I'm not sure how the LSA compares to stock, but more duration and lift will also create more overlap and less efficient use of boost.

Like I said before, they will work, but they're not ideal. Best bet is to get a set of dedicated blower cams to get the most out of your supercharger. I don't know for certain, though, if the Hot Rod cams will net you more or less than a stock cam would with a blower.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:17 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

For example, I originally built a 408 for my 1995 GT to be N/A. Eventually I threw a supercharger on it and was pretty disappointed that I only got 430 rwhp. I replaced the camshaft with a custom grind blower cam and gained 100 hp with the cam alone. Now that was an extreme case going from a N/A focused cam grind to a blower cam profile, but it demonstrates the benefit of getting a camshaft designed for your application.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:34 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SpartaPerformance
I disagree the Hot Rods are not for N/A, they are a slightly more aggressive pattern then stock and will work well with a positive displacement blower.
Unless you're using a double negative, are you saying the Hot Rod cams are NOT for N/A? I'm pretty sure they are...

"Engineered specifically for naturally aspirated applications by the same designers of the stock camshafts"

Got that right off the description on the FRPP website.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Knechtion
1st Gear Member

well thank you for the extra info, i certainly am not looking for loss of power, do comp cams the ones sold on AM do any good for me?
Old 07-20-2011, 11:07 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Knechtion
well thank you for the extra info, i certainly am not looking for loss of power, do comp cams the ones sold on AM do any good for me?
You won't necessarily LOSE power, and I think that's the point SpartaPerformance was trying to make, but there are specified blower cams out there for FI applications, like so...

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...shafts-Stage-1

Looks to me that AM only has N/A cams.

Also notice the LSA of the blower cams vs the Hot Rod cams, 115 vs. 110.

Last edited by parchisi; 07-20-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Quick Reply: FRPP cams with e-force?