Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anybody flushing their trannys anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Anybody flushing their trannys anymore?

Ive always read on here that most people are flushing their trans at every 30,000 miles. I've been calling around and most tranny places say they don't do that or they don't believe in it. There just droppIng the pan to service the filter and replace 5 or so quarts. Anybody on here getting their transmissions flushed? I think mines starting to get hot on longer trips. 32,000 miles.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

I just don't want to fry this auto like most people seem to do.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

The literature from Ford says the fluid is a lifetime fill - that it will last as long as the car does.

I don't really believe that.

Does the transmission have a cooler of any sort?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:09 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

If you race your car or do anything that gets that fluid overly hot, it will vent it out and over time you will be low on fluid. Its not that difficult to follow tacobills DIY and change the fluid. Yeah its messy, slippery stuff but its certainly worth peace of mind knowing your fluid is full and new. Realize as that fluid gets overheated it looses its performance ability. I swap mine out every year. Its well spent money IMO.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:55 AM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Places don't believe it in for good reason....it usually just disturbs deposits that are inside the tranny (which are NOT flushed out) and ends up causing more problems down the line, especially on higher mileage trannys.

Drain and fill for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:12 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Does the transmission have a cooler of any sort?
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=250&viewfil...on Cooling.pdf
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=242&viewfil...uid Cooler.pdf

Originally Posted by allinon72
Places don't believe it in for good reason....it usually just disturbs deposits that are inside the tranny (which are NOT flushed out) and ends up causing more problems down the line, especially on higher mileage trannys.

Drain and fill for me.
http://iihs.net/fsm/?dir=245&viewfil...d Cleaning.pdf
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by allinon72

Drain and fill for me.
The BG treatment solution actually (supposedly) dissolves those deposists inside the trans and flushes them out. We had a demonstration at work and the dude showed us "old" tranny fluid.. put in the solution.. and it turned red again.

Yeah, could be snack oil though, who knows.

He did say that for the older higher mile trans, DON'T do it.. because it'll dislodge too much gunk and fry the trans. If you do it, do it early before the build up. ONly bad thing is, they don't change the filter in those flushes, which is odd. If it were my car I'd do both.. more expensive, more fluid lost/used, more time but it'll be done right. I had mine done this year since I was too lazy to do it myself, but I will doing it every summer since track season is heavy..
Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM
allinon72
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
The BG treatment solution actually (supposedly) dissolves those deposists inside the trans and flushes them out. We had a demonstration at work and the dude showed us "old" tranny fluid.. put in the solution.. and it turned red again.

Yeah, could be snack oil though, who knows.

He did say that for the older higher mile trans, DON'T do it.. because it'll dislodge too much gunk and fry the trans. If you do it, do it early before the build up. ONly bad thing is, they don't change the filter in those flushes, which is odd. If it were my car I'd do both.. more expensive, more fluid lost/used, more time but it'll be done right. I had mine done this year since I was too lazy to do it myself, but I will doing it every summer since track season is heavy..
That's another thing, they do it and don't change the filter after. You'll undoubtedly get some debris in that filter from stuff that will break loose after the flush and that could mean trouble.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Greg06GT
1st Gear Member

I guess I'll stay away from the flush. Is There a benefit to just dropping the pan and replacing some fluid and the filter?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

With all of my previous autos, I wouldn't even consider flushing until 60k miles and for sure by 100k miles. One vehicle I had I let go until about 180k miles and the tranny began acting up immediately after.

Quick Reply: Anybody flushing their trannys anymore?