Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got hot rod cams installed, idle video. Also, Q's on FRPP Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:46 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

your car looks and sounds great! congrats on getting cammed.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:10 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JustCruisinGT
Hmmm that's what I was originally thinking. I have a 2010 which I believe already have the charge motion deleted from factory. I have 4.10 gears in the car so it stays in the higher rpm range, but there's no way I'm revving passed the stock rev limiter. Did you not see any gains from the intake manifold what so ever until over 6k?
I'm still running the factory manifold. I was thinking about doing the FRPP mani and GT500 TB, but decided to wait until I'm ready to build the motor and apply some boost (I have a couple of turbos and an intercooler taking up space in the basement). My low end is suffering enough right now. I've just gotten used to keeping the rpm's above 3000. I'm real tempted to swap to 4.10's and a one piece drive shaft, but that cuts into the motor budget. I think I'd rather do it all at once. Here is a before and after comparison of my setup. The before run was on the factory tune with a K&N drop in filter and FRPP X pipe only.

Heads, intake, cams, TB all will have roughly the same effect (to different degrees) on the torque/HP curves, but the sum of the parts is usually greater than the individual contribution of each. So when you start combining these parts you really see a more dramatic effect on both the low and high end. In my case, the butt dyno doesn't lie either. I can feel that dip in the torque curve from 3400-3700 when accelerating. The dip from 4200-4500, not so much.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:43 PM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

Hey you don't think that you might be short changing your set up with the shorty headers? What are the specs on that cam? I think you would really appreciate your mods more if you got the 4.10s, I think the 4.10s alone made a greater impact in performance than the cams in my car. Before I was cammed, I raced a automatic 5.0 from a 1st gear roll and I really put some distance between us until around 90 mph when he caught up and passed me that was purely the 4.10s doing the talking.

Even with my set up, what ever torque loss I suffered is minimal with the steeper gears man.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

cars sounds great, cannot wait until warranty expires... What else is done to the car, how did you beat an SS? I have never raced either, just curious
Old 08-06-2011, 02:11 PM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

I smoked the **** out of the SS Camaro, from a roll and from a dig.It was an automatic camaro, and I pulled so hard on him especially from the roll that theres no way his HP advantage would of made a difference. One thing I've noticed since owning a Mustang (I came from the LS1 cars) is that these things make power QUICK.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:02 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JustCruisinGT
Hey you don't think that you might be short changing your set up with the shorty headers? What are the specs on that cam? I think you would really appreciate your mods more if you got the 4.10s, I think the 4.10s alone made a greater impact in performance than the cams in my car. Before I was cammed, I raced a automatic 5.0 from a 1st gear roll and I really put some distance between us until around 90 mph when he caught up and passed me that was purely the 4.10s doing the talking.

Even with my set up, what ever torque loss I suffered is minimal with the steeper gears man.
I asked my tuner if he thought I'd get much more out of long tube headers. He didn't seem to think it would make a cost effective difference. The biggest bennefit would probably come from removing the cats, but that isn't an option for me, and I have plans on replacing them with turbo manifolds anyway.

Even though the cam is not terribly aggressive, Comp recommends 4.10 gears to go with it. With the p&p'd heads, my tuner tells me that I could get a lot more HP out of a more aggresive cam that requires locking out the phasers and turning off the VCT, but again, at the expense of low end drivability.

I've done all the calculations on speed vs rpm with 3.55 (what I have) vs. 4.10. The problem is that 4.10s don't really address the gripe I have about the way my setup makes power. They just change the usable power band for each gear. I may do the swap just before I put the car away for the winter......
Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Long Tubes WILL help you with cams. YES YES YES!
With cams alone expect a 15-20HP gain.
Long tubes help those cams out A LOT.

On the 06GT we had the Hot Rod Cams AND long tubes.
Gained 40RWHP.
Long tubes are almost ALWAYS recommended with cams my friend.

I would not waste my time with the intake manifold. It will help a little up top maybe but NOT worth the money and you will lose on the low end.
With cams some say you lose some low end but I am telling you with the right tune you WILL NOT. I actually gained trq and hp on the low end with my cams once it was tuned right.

Again with cams I would DEFINITELY get long tubes to make the best out of the cams. I am surprised this was not pointed out to you by the shop that installed the cams. I did not read if you have changed your gears yet or not but if not I would definitely also get you some 4.10's in there as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Southern Stang 722
2nd Gear Member

Congrats on the hotrods! I just put a set in my buddies car on monday .......To the one guy that was looking for pricing on the HR's. They can be had online for around 740$ And you will need two cam phaser bolts which are 16$ each from your local blue oval dealer.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

I'll chime in since I have the FRPP intake,

I love it, my car pulls ridiculously hard through the entire rpm range. Here is a short clip of how it sounds,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_rtGXD2zaQ

And yes, those are the FRPP cams. I've been cruising @ 70, grabbed 3rd really hard, and my traction-control has come on.....lol (while sporting 275/40's in the rear)

I do have a 4.10 gear to boot, that may be why I don't notice a drop, if there is one, I can't tell.

No doubt, it's an expensive a$$ mod to do, but if you really like driving your car, then it has more pros then cons.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
bjbrowder

Ive been wanting to buy this manifold for a while but wanted to hear peoples comments about it. Ive got a 2005 GT 5sp, JBA LT's, O/R X-pipe, Axleback, Steeda UDP's, CMDV's, Weapon-x COP's, AFE Intake, SCT Bama 93 tune, One piece DS, FRPP 4.10 gears, and a lot of suspension parts. Its also my daily driver with 100k miles on it. I want to build a nasty street machine. I want to stay naturally aspirated, so Im looking at heads, and some big fat cams, maybe the FRPP intake manifold, throttle body. Then Slicks and Possibly a 100 shot of nitrous for the track only.
I drive the car hard a lot, and keep the RPMs up. I live in a small city so i do drive in a good bit of stop and go traffic, but my drive to work is 60 miles round trip at 70-80 mph, and thats wear i do most of my racing. I dont really want a big low end power loss, what do you guys suggest?

Quick Reply: Just got hot rod cams installed, idle video. Also, Q's on FRPP Intake manifold