Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just got hot rod cams installed, idle video. Also, Q's on FRPP Intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:19 PM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

Default Just got hot rod cams installed, idle video. Also, Q's on FRPP Intake manifold

Hey guys, I just got my FRPP cams installed a little while ago, the video was taken with a android phone but it gives you an idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gsB3I5FJVU

The car runs great, I've beaten two Challengers and two SS Camaros from a roll and dig.

Also, would the FRPP intake manifold benefit me any now that I have cams?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Sounding tough! Not suprised you've cleaned up on a few other muscle cars! I'm no expert, and I am certain others will chime in but I've always heard and read that anything you can do to help it breathe, especially with cams, is a benefit.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 PM
yourmyboybh1026
3rd Gear Member

Wow, that thing sounds mean man!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:44 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Awsome sound and mustang you got there. I still enjoy hearing my Hot Rods as much as the day I got them!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Sounds awsome dude. Get long tubes first. Your car looks great too.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:13 AM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

My.next install will be FRPP intake, long tubes, bbk tb, and steeda udp. All going in next month
Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

In N/A trim, the FRPP manifold and BBK TB are only going to bennefit you on the top of the rpm range. Low range will suffer, and mid range will be largley unaffected.

How do you drive your car? If you like to keep the engine spun a little higher or hit the track a lot, they are worthwhile upgrades. If you use your car as a dd and spend any time in stop and go traffic or low speed cruizing, you may not be happy you spent the coin to get a couple more peak HP at 6500rpm. The same can be said for heads.

Look at the mods in my sig. My HP curve is beatiful. It climbs in a nice straight line all the way to 6500rpm, but I lost over 50ft-lbs of torque below 3000rpm with my setup. My car is not pleasant to drive in slower traffic and 5th gear is virtually useless. Granted, the heads compound the low end torque loss more than any bolt on part will, but that should give you an idea of what to expect.

FWIW, throttle bodies are pretty much considered nothing more than eye candy on the 4.6 3V unless you are going F/I or built motor. I would save my money for bigger and better things.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM
DrDeaths01GT
2nd Gear Member

If I may ask how much did the cams cost you? Including cost of install? I am thinking of doing this myself along with 410's

Oh yeah what kind of numbers do cams give you?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:26 AM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by breathegood
In N/A trim, the FRPP manifold and BBK TB are only going to bennefit you on the top of the rpm range. Low range will suffer, and mid range will be largley unaffected.

How do you drive your car? If you like to keep the engine spun a little higher or hit the track a lot, they are worthwhile upgrades. If you use your car as a dd and spend any time in stop and go traffic or low speed cruizing, you may not be happy you spent the coin to get a couple more peak HP at 6500rpm. The same can be said for heads.

Look at the mods in my sig. My HP curve is beatiful. It climbs in a nice straight line all the way to 6500rpm, but I lost over 50ft-lbs of torque below 3000rpm with my setup. My car is not pleasant to drive in slower traffic and 5th gear is virtually useless. Granted, the heads compound the low end torque loss more than any bolt on part will, but that should give you an idea of what to expect.

FWIW, throttle bodies are pretty much considered nothing more than eye candy on the 4.6 3V unless you are going F/I or built motor. I would save my money for bigger and better things.

Hmmm that's what I was originally thinking. I have a 2010 which I believe already have the charge motion deleted from factory. I have 4.10 gears in the car so it stays in the higher rpm range, but there's no way I'm revving passed the stock rev limiter. Did you not see any gains from the intake manifold what so ever until over 6k?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 AM
JustCruisinGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DrDeaths01GT
If I may ask how much did the cams cost you? Including cost of install? I am thinking of doing this myself along with 410's

Oh yeah what kind of numbers do cams give you?
Sure man, that's what forums are for, to ask questions lol.

I got the cams from www.americanmuscle.com and I got the cams installed by Power by the Hour performance in Boynton beach Florida. After taxes and everything, including oil change and filter and all the good stuff it was 570$ total for the install. They did an EXCELLENT job and was done in one day

Quick Reply: Just got hot rod cams installed, idle video. Also, Q's on FRPP Intake manifold