Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Thinking about buying a 2012 GT, couple issues/thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Finaldo

Default Thinking about buying a 2012 GT, couple issues/thoughts...

Hey all,

Went for a long test drive in a 2012 GT Premium, and really enjoyed it! Pretty close to picking one up, but I had a couple of things I wanted to ask here and see what your thoughts are...

First... the transmission issues. I've noticed its a problem with the two GTs I drove (first was a 2011 two months ago) that getting the car into third gear isn't always easy. I thought this might be due to how short the throws are with the shifter, and how close together things are spaced, that I might just be a little bit off with getting it in gear, but on the second test drive after getting used to the shifter, I was still having trouble getting it into 3rd some times. I was just getting resistance when trying to put it into gear. Does this sound like the problems that people are having? If so, it's a shame I noticed it on both GTs I drove...

Second... How important do you all consider the Brembo brake package? This will be my daily driving car, but I'm also planning on getting into some autocross. The dealer was telling me unless I'm doing a lot of racing I won't ever need the Brembo brakes. I guess I could save a few dollars by going without them, and there is an issue with availability in my area right now for some of the options I want. I see half of the GTs at the dealer with Brembo and half without. It's a real mixed bag of options and I'm not finding exactly what I want.

Third... The dealerships around me have mustangs with the 3.31 and 3.73 ratio rear axles, but none of them have the 3.55. I was thinking about going with the 3.55 just to have the middle ground, since this will be my daily driver.

Fourth... Are dealers doing much discounting on these cars or is everyone pretty much paying MSRP?

These days it seems like there aren't a lot of Mustang GTs on the car lots, and lots of times they don't have the combinations of options I want, so I'm just looking for some information or opinions and see what's what in case I have to make a compromise. I guess I could also order one and wait for it to come in. I'd really love a glass roof and the only one of those I saw was on a 2012 Shelby.

Any advice/info/comments would be appreciated!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

I think missing 3rd has nothing to do with the current transmission problems, I have a hard time getting mine into 3rd at WOT as did I with my 08 GT till it got nice and broke in, after about six months I could crush it into 3rd. If you're going to do auto cross you might as well go with the Brembo's but it won't be suicide if you don't. Gear ratio is all up to you, my 08' had 3.55's and I liked them (put a 4.10 in and pulled back out thought it was too much) but if you can get one with the 3.73 rear I highly recommend it. As far as the discount it will depend on the dealer and how loaded the car is, if it's premium with the GT5 package (side scoops, hood scoop, different spoiler) you probably won't get much of a deal but I see several 12's going for 33-35k and the fully loaded all option ones going for 37-39k. There is a thread on here about the shortage of glass roofs so you might have a hard time finding that........good luck with your choice.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:32 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yeah 3rd in my 08 was kind of a pain but I got used to it.

The tranny issues with the 6 speed manual though are a concern of mine as well. I plan on buying one next year but probably wont if nothing changes with the tranny.

3.73s would probably be fine for a daily driver but how far do you communte? How much freeway driving?

Dealerships will discount but you just have to ask around. Also there are some incentives that Ford is currently offering on the vehicle. If your negotiating, I would definitely start at or below invoice.

Also, are you in real need of a car right now? If not, continue to look around and figure out what you really want. I would go test drive one that has 3.73 and one that has 3.31...since they are available in your area. drive one with and without the brembo package and see if its something you can live without.

Also, never settle on a car. If you really want something, whether its a color or a package...make sure you get it. Otherwise you will probably regret it down the line....especially since you will prob be dropping 30k+ on a car. Would be crappy to spend that much coin on a car then realize you shouldnt have skimped on a 2k option...especially if that 2k will be spread over 60mo.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:26 PM
ulrichw

I'm also in the buying process, so I thought I'd contribute the results of my research.

Originally Posted by Finaldo
Hey all,

Went for a long test drive in a 2012 GT Premium, and really enjoyed it! Pretty close to picking one up, but I had a couple of things I wanted to ask here and see what your thoughts are...

First... the transmission issues. [...]
Can't comment on this - didn't notice on my test drives (but I didn't push the cars either).
Second... How important do you all consider the Brembo brake package? [...]
Not an autocrosser, but I have some track experience. In general the bigger brakes don't stop better - they resist fade due to repeated hard braking better. Autocross doesn't have the same demands on braking that track driving does (both due to lower speeds and the fact that you're only doing around a minute at a time).

The real question is, do you want the suspension and wheel upgrade that comes with the Brembo package or not? If you're planning on lowering the car and/or buying new wheels, I'd opt out of the Brembo package. If you're planning on keeping the car stock, my experience in back-to-back test drives is that the Brembo car's handling is much improved over the stock car - it's more balanced, responds quicker, and has much less of a "floaty" feeling in turns. Ride is a little stiffer, but not too harsh.

In my case I'm waffling between getting a Brembo car and getting a non-Brembo car and quickly upgrading to a better suspension/wheel package.

From what I've read, the brakes, while nice, are not critical even for track days - pads and brake fluid get you most of the way there (and from previous experience, brake ducts might be all that's needed to get fine performance for any non-racing track activities).

Third... The dealerships around me have mustangs with the 3.31 and 3.73 ratio rear axles, but none of them have the 3.55. I was thinking about going with the 3.55 just to have the middle ground, since this will be my daily driver.
Since I'm not into standing starts, I'm opting for the 3.31 to get optimal daily driving gas mileage. Optimizing all-out acceleration is not high on my list - I prefer to get a car that handles well.

Fourth... Are dealers doing much discounting on these cars or is everyone pretty much paying MSRP?
They're definitely discounting, plus there are incentives currently going on for 2012's.

Some things to consider:
- The Mustang Club of America lets you buy cars through the Ford Partner Recognition Program - also known as the "X-plan". This will provided you a discounted price along with limits on the fees the dealer can charge you. $50 to sign up.
- If you order a brochure from Ford and select that you'll be buying in 1-3 months, you'll often (not always) get a $750 "private cash" offer on any Ford vehicle.
- Current incentives (at least here in CA) are a $500 cash and $1000 cash bonus.
- All of these are compatible with the x-plan, so you could get as much as $2250 off the x-plan price.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Finaldo

Thanks for the replies all. It pretty much sounds like if I got a GT, and there were any issues, I'd have a bit of warning before things got too bad, so I'd be able to take it to the dealership to get things fixed.

I didn't really give much thought about skipping the Brembo brakes and going with some other aftermarket suspension and brake upgrades... I'm so green with all this stuff that I don't really know what's out there for the car.

Basically what I'm looking for is something that I don't have to do a TON of work to so that I can try the autocross thing, but I also want something that will be able to grow with me as I get to be a better driver and learn more about working on the car. I've only done a little bit of work on my current car (Protege5) so I'm able to do some stuff, but I can't replace suspensions on my own, or install a supercharger myself, things of that nature. I can do cold air intakes, shifter bushings, and short throw shifter installs, but that's pretty much where my modding experience falls off.

Given where I'm coming from... would it make the most sense to get a bare-bones 2012 GT with a glass roof (if possible!) and then mod it from there? Or would it be a better idea to start with a GT Premium with Brembo brakes, since most of the upgrade work would be done, with the downside of it not being able to grow much with me, aside from adding horsepower?

Or is it really obvious that I don't know what I'm talking about and you're having a good laugh at me?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:08 PM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

I would take your time and decide. Do some research on the aftermarket suspension upgrades. See if you like something better. Personally I dont care for the wheels in the brembo package and I am not going to autocrass or take the car to the drag strip so I am ok with the stock suspension.

Also see if there are more 'stang people in your area that you can become friends with...groups etc. That way you can learn from them and also if you want to do suspension installs later, they will help you out.

Supercharger is a risk unless you know what you are doing. I am about at the same level of modding as you but I like to learn as I go. The only way to expand your knowledge is to learn. If you want to know mroe about supercharging, etc. starting talking with people that have done it before...

I had a friend that tried to install a supercharger himself after watching someone else install the same one on their mustang. Sure enough, he did something wrong and blew out 2 cylinders.

Do you know how soon you will get into autocrossing? The good thing about getting that brembo package is that it would all be covered under warranty if something went wrong. If you arent planning on getting into within the next 3 years or so...I would prob hold off.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM
CDW63
2nd Gear Member

I have received several quotes from local dealerships equivalent to ~4K off of MSRP ($41560 MSRP, sell for $37457). this isn't the otd price. I am using the x-plan plus current incentives. In the greater Phoenix area their is roughly 8 good sized Ford dealerships, but I am having problems finding a nicely loaded premium coupe with Nav, brembo, hid and 3.73 gears.

I am also thinking about waiting to see what happens with MT82 investigation, I also owned a 08 GT500 that had tranny, clutch and flywheel replaced via the tsb. So I would prefer not to go through that again if possible. On the other hand the current cash back incentives are attractive, especially coupled with current loan rates.

Bottom line is their are great deals to be had right now, but I believe inventory here in the SW region is skinny at the moment. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:33 AM
FourCam

I just took delivery of my '12 GT w/Brembos about a month ago. Sticker was $38,500 and I paid $34k. I used truecar.com, check it out. I ordered mine, but truecar works for cars in stock as well.

My transmission is 'OK'. I get minor 'crunching' sometimes going in to 2nd when it is cold. I have gotten in to the habit of letting the shifter move quickly back and forth right to left in neutral between 1st and 2nd which seems to avoid any cold clash. I think it is the slight delay that makes it work. Once it's well warmed up, there aren't any problems.

Regarding the Brembo package, for autocrossing (and I have quite a bit of solo experience, but in my old '99 Cobra, not in this car), I wouldn't think you could generate enough heat during a one or two minute run to justify the big brakes. However, with the associated suspension bits, it's a pretty good deal. One thing though - these pads dust a LOT. I don't know how much the stock brakes dust, but it's a good thing that the special wheels that come with the Brembo package are a dark gray color.

As far as mods and autocrossing go, I strongly recommend not doing anything to your car until you get quite a few autocross events under your belt. It is super important to learn how to drive first. Yes, I know - you already know how to drive. But if you've never autocrossed, well, with all due respect, no, you don't. Modifying your car moves you up into higher classes where you will have no chance whatsoever. Run in the stock class for a good year first. You will still have a BLAST and once you can really handle yourself at the limit, and can be instantly comfortable running a new course the first time, then start doing some mods. And, learn the rules regarding mods and be smart about what you do.

Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy your car if you decide to do it!

Pat.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:48 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

yes the incentives are attractive but they will also have incentives again.

I plan on waiting for the NHTSA investigation as well. I am not in any hurry but would like to get a 2012 GT...

Originally Posted by CDW63
I have received several quotes from local dealerships equivalent to ~4K off of MSRP ($41560 MSRP, sell for $37457). this isn't the otd price. I am using the x-plan plus current incentives. In the greater Phoenix area their is roughly 8 good sized Ford dealerships, but I am having problems finding a nicely loaded premium coupe with Nav, brembo, hid and 3.73 gears.

I am also thinking about waiting to see what happens with MT82 investigation, I also owned a 08 GT500 that had tranny, clutch and flywheel replaced via the tsb. So I would prefer not to go through that again if possible. On the other hand the current cash back incentives are attractive, especially coupled with current loan rates.

Bottom line is their are great deals to be had right now, but I believe inventory here in the SW region is skinny at the moment. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'm not digging the glass roof thing.

Yeah it looks kinda cool but it is pretty dang heavy and I would not want to incorporate anything from the start that would hinder the performance in ANY way on a car I bought for its grunt as far as a major reason.

I also think over time it would be a pain in the butt as far as them getting dirty and having to either see all that dirt... or constantly clean it off.

I bet those things get damn hot during the summer too. Especially down here.